997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Detailer at Dealer scratched PCM screen..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 07:06 AM
M4Miami is just really niceM4Miami is just really niceM4Miami is just really niceM4Miami is just really niceM4Miami is just really nice
Detailer at Dealer scratched PCM screen..

..good news is the SA said they would make it right when his supervisor is back on Monday. I want to prepare myself for their suggestion to repair/replace. Anyone here have or know of anyone who had the screen repaired or replaced? Is the screen a separate unit, or is the PCM screen with Nav all connected? Scratch is long and ugly...will post a pic later I just could not stand to look at it anymore for now!

Old 11-05-2010, 07:36 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
It is all one unit, they may have a way to remove the scratch, but it is difficult to say without a picture.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:46 AM
M4Miami is just really niceM4Miami is just really niceM4Miami is just really niceM4Miami is just really niceM4Miami is just really nice
Pics..ugh!Name:  PCM1.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  189.0 KB

Name:  PCM2.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  210.2 KB

Old 11-05-2010, 08:58 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
That looks like a replacement unit is coming your way.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:07 AM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
Wow. How did they manage to do that?

Old 11-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by TooSixy
Wow. How did they manage to do that?
I have no idea...maybe dropped the cloth they were using and it picked up a small rock chip form the carpet.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:18 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
let other people do things to your car - almost always "degrades" it in some way.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:14 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by M4Miami
..good news is the SA said they would make it right when his supervisor is back on Monday. I want to prepare myself for their suggestion to repair/replace. Anyone here have or know of anyone who had the screen repaired or replaced? Is the screen a separate unit, or is the PCM screen with Nav all connected? Scratch is long and ugly...will post a pic later I just could not stand to look at it anymore for now!
I had my 997.1 Turbo upgraded with the in dash ipod and bluetooth . They did a perfect job . I was so nervous about tinkering with the PCM and dash imagining rattles but not only was the work done perfect ... but I am so glad I have these modern features .

They are good people and they will fix your car and make things right.
Lastly -- If you ever get your car detailed I recomend a guy who goes by the nickname "el chino" . He's the best !!!!!! He's near the dealership and they can point you to him .

Old 11-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I had my 997.1 Turbo upgraded with the in dash ipod and bluetooth . They did a perfect job . I was so nervous about tinkering with the PCM and dash imagining rattles but not only was the work done perfect ... but I am so glad I have these modern features .

They are good people and they will fix your car and make things right.
Lastly -- If you ever get your car detailed I recomend a guy who goes by the nickname "el chino" . He's the best !!!!!! He's near the dealership and they can point you to him .
My man! Thanks for the info...makes rolling into the weekend a little easier!

"El Chino" is in my future!

Old 11-06-2010, 06:10 AM
Mark Ducati is infamous around these partsMark Ducati is infamous around these parts
My 3 year old scratched a new 52" Sony Bravia LCD TV in our bonus room... its on a low AV Console Base... the kids were playing "sword fight" with wooden sticks and the TV got whacked...

I called the TV repair guy to see if a new screen could be fitted... the answer was NO, the entire TV would have to be replaced. So I suspect the same would be for an 8" screen too????

So now, the kids have to watch cartoons through a scratch.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:24 AM
Still no resolution on the repair/replacement...but I should have an answer today. Big question though...if it is a replacement do you think I can ask for a new PCM that includes Sat Radio. Will that work? I know I they will have to route the antenna module...but it should work right?

Old 11-10-2010, 11:43 AM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by M4Miami
Still no resolution on the repair/replacement...but I should have an answer today. Big question though...if it is a replacement do you think I can ask for a new PCM that includes Sat Radio. Will that work? I know I they will have to route the antenna module...but it should work right?
I don't think there is a PCM with Sat Radio. You can get a PCM with Nav but not Sat. Correct me if I am wrong.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Resolution: Dealer ordered a new PCM Unit to replace the scratched one.

Kudos to my service advisor and service manager, as well as the owner of the dealership for being professional from start to finish. Accidents happen and while they needed to investigate how this happened (detailer did not recall creating the scratch) my baby was pristine and shall remain that way.

I asked if the new PCM could be ordered with whatever might be required to include SAT radio and I would pay for the variance in cost and the install to wire to the rear lid and paint the antenna. Since there is no SAT retrofit for the 997.2 I figured I would ask as this might be the only way to get factory SAT integration into an 09 that did not originally have one. Otherwise I dont think anyone here would change out a PCM unit just for SAT Radio $$$!!