997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Anyone worked with Porsche touch up paint?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 09:15 AM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Anyone worked with Porsche touch up paint?

if so, please let me know how the process worked for you. I have a few really tiny scratches on my rear bumper. Small enough that the point of a toothpick is almost too big to fit into the scratches, but they are deep. I was told using the Porsche paint for touch ups is difficult b/c it's thick and hard to apply in tiny amounts to fill small scratches or paint chips. Any information would be helpful to me.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:27 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Read this:
http://www.autoeducation.com/carcare/paintchips.htm

And DON'T let anyone else touch your car. I had a small chip, was about to do the above, but the local approved collision center guys here offered to do it for me for free. now a small problem is a ruined spot where they burned the paint. They totally F'd me - and now, I think it is best to just leave it alone. Still small and hard to notice - but what a bunch of idiots - and me the biggest one for letting them at it.

So, be careful - if you decide to proceed, use all the caution and patience mentioned above - and then some more. Or just leave it alone is probably the best bet.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:24 AM
carfan has a spectacular aura aboutcarfan has a spectacular aura aboutcarfan has a spectacular aura about
I used it, but no good results

It's better to repaint or leave it like it is !

Old 11-09-2010, 04:52 PM
SpeedySix is infamous around these parts
I think not letting ANYONE touch your car is a bit of a stretch. There are plenty of good body shops around the country.

If you want to try the DIY route, I might suggest starting how to apply touchup paint for some basic info

Old 11-09-2010, 07:25 PM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by SpeedySix
I think not letting ANYONE touch your car is a bit of a stretch. There are plenty of good body shops around the country.

If you want to try the DIY route, I might suggest starting how to apply touchup paint for some basic info
Thank you for posting this link ... I appreciate it !!

Old 11-09-2010, 07:37 PM
NoSubstitutes is infamous around these parts
Don't know if these will help. I can't speak as to their true effectiveness but just something I found that looked somewhat credible. If anyone has done this, I would like to know something of the costs and how well it works. My concern would be whether there was any issues with the paint not having any air to breathe (if that's necessary).

http://www.invisiblemask.com/site.html

and here's a company with some good pictures of how you can put a film over your whole car to protect the paint surface.

http://www.detailingdynamics.com/det...rotection-film

Old 11-09-2010, 07:39 PM
NoSubstitutes is infamous around these parts
Here's another option for the paint chips. Impressive pics.

http://drcolorchip.com/

Old 11-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Flying Cat is infamous around these partsFlying Cat is infamous around these parts
I have used Dr Colorchip on my Guards Red C2S. It is safer / harder to make mistakes with this product because it is much harder to end up with a blob of paint, like could happen with touch-up paint.

You apply the very thin/watery paint, wipe excess, and let it sit for few minutes. Next, you use some special solution to wipe out most of the paint. So only the paint in the scratch is not removed. Since paint is very thin and you then remove most of it, it may take several steps to cover a scratch. Overall, I am satisfied with it, and it is a lot more fool-proof than (thick) touch-up paint.

I would give it a try. For $50 you cannot go wrong.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:58 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Thank you for the advice

As I'm not the most patient guy, I have decided to take my car to my local dealer. They have a guy who comes in once a week to do touch ups on the used cars they put up for sale and customers. I figure he's worked with Porsches a lot and he has the tools and patience.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:13 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
I hope that goes better for you than it did for me. Keep a close eye on them.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:18 PM
BLKonBLK911C4S is infamous around these parts
Take a picture of your chip that is being repaired before you bring it in. If a Paint shop burns your paint they should pay to repair it and I would suggest going to another body shop to do it. There is no good body shop that should burn your paint on a simple chip repair/touch up.

I have used LANGKA paint chip and scratch repair Kit. www.langka.com worked decently. I probably could have done a little better if I kept using the blob eliminator, but it looks better that the chip (white on a black car - NOT good)

BTW - you are better off putting a little blob of paint on a chip that leaving it exposed to the elements