997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Help with interior color on a Macadamia

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 07:54 AM
llngoc is infamous around these parts
My wife and I both liked the Macadamia a lot. And we both feel that we need something which has some extra "ummp" to it other than a plain old SB or Natural Brown. (Nothing wrong with those colors, we may still end up with them) We know that the full Terracotta will be too much for our aging eyes. (BTW, our 3 years daughter hates red.) So we thought that the 2 tone may be interesting enough. We would have never even considered terracotta if not accidentally stumbled on it at the Porsche website. (Class Reunion video with the Mac S and full terracotta interior)

Originally Posted by mauijim
llngoc, Would you and your wife be able to hold-off on choosing an exterior color, until you've found an interior that you really like? The interior is where you'll be spending most of your quality time with the car. Choosing an exterior color may be easier after you've found the perfect interior. (IMV, special ordering a car is similar to building a house, in that the exterior is a function of the living space.) I agree with stevepow's preference for a dark colored dash.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:33 AM
Our final (for now) decision

Thanks for all of your help. And I think we have come to our final decision after seeing the terracotta in flesh at the dealer.....

We are going to go with the full terra cotta afterall. It just occured to me that what caught my eye in the Porsche video with the outside shots with the Mac/Terra contrast and if I do a two tone, it will definitely defeat the whole purpose. And to me, the orangish brown is not too overbearing at all and I do want something a little "loud" this time around. The only thing left is about the deviating carpet.

Thanks again for all the great help. And this is the final spec I am going to submit today:

Packages P35 Comfort Package
P36 Infotainment Package
Exterior Color 9S Macadamia Metallic
Interior Color MB Special Leather Terracotta
Exterior 911 Model Designation 911
Performance 250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
Wheels 405 19" Carrera Classic Wheel
Wheel Accessories 446 Wheel Center with Colored Crest
Interior P15 Electronically Adjustable Seats
Interior Aluminum X70 Door Entry Guards in Stainless Steel

Is the Sports steering wheel with shift paddel even useful? This is the only option I have left which I am contemplating.

I feel like that I have a very subdued exterior and "interesting" interior.

Last edited by llngoc; 11-18-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:10 AM
DCI
DCI is infamous around these parts
Full terracotta is beautifull and wll make your car special. Be carefull with deviating the carpet. If you do this, the hump between the rear seats will be black carpet, the door panels will have black carpet. To most, first impression is ooops..they messed up the order. This is my opinion, comming from a family who has owned 15 or more 911`s. Good luck and congrats!!

Old 11-18-2010, 08:21 AM
DCI, thanks for your input. You were the one who made me go back and took a closer look at the video and so remembered why I was interested in terracotta in the first place. We were at the dealer yesterday and saw a natural brown interior, it was indeed a very pretty one but not on a brown car. (it'd be very nice on a blue though) The brownish orange of the terra cotta is actually not as overbearing as I'd expected so we decided that we can forego the two tone. I am not for the deviating carpet but my wife is still pondering on the full red treatment. Let's hope 4-5 years down the road and we are still excited about this color.

Originally Posted by DCI
Full terracotta is beautifull and wll make your car special. Be carefull with deviating the carpet. If you do this, the hump between the rear seats will be black carpet, the door panels will have black carpet. To most, first impression is ooops..they messed up the order. This is my opinion, comming from a family who has owned 15 or more 911`s. Good luck and congrats!!

Old 11-18-2010, 08:53 AM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by llngoc
Is the Sports steering wheel with shift paddel even useful? This is the only option I have left which I am contemplating.
As far as paddles, absolutely!.. Do not order the PDK w/o paddles. You will use 'em, and some day many moons from now, it'll make the car more 'sellable'.

Can't wait to see pics when you (eventually) get the car.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:01 AM
I cannot wait to see my car too. It is supposed to be a Feb/Mar delivery. Let's hope that the new 991 unveiling in Frankfurt won't give me buyer's remorse. (I don't think so, as we actually like our "old" 2009 Cayenne better than the new one. I like to buy last year production of a generation as I feel that all bugs/kinks are ironed out and if I keep the car for more than 5-6 years, the "fresh" look does not matter anymore)

Originally Posted by NC 997
As far as paddles, absolutely!.. Do not order the PDK w/o paddles. You will use 'em, and some day many moons from now, it'll make the car more 'sellable'.

Can't wait to see pics when you (eventually) get the car.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:05 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
Cant go wrong with either Tan or Cocoa....both look nice

BUT

BLACK would look sinister!

Old 11-19-2010, 08:52 AM
DCI
DCI is infamous around these parts
I hope you enjoy the new ride! What wheels did you get?

Old 11-19-2010, 10:05 AM
I am getting the Carrera Classic. It is interesting that it is an unanimous vote with the whole family. Even my 3 and 9 years old voted for it.

Originally Posted by DCI
I hope you enjoy the new ride! What wheels did you get?

Old 11-19-2010, 11:35 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
I think you should consider those paddles as carefully as the rest of it as they are not a given and have their drawbacks along with advantages.

The advantage, for some, is that they accidentally shift the bttons because of the way they hold the wheel. Others do not have that issue, so that's more of a personal thing - apparently mostly the issue happens on autocross track events. I don't rest my hands on the buttons, so I don't accidentally shift - but I grew up more as 10 and 2 guy, versus the 9/3 - maybe that is why. I also shuffle steer and keep my thumbs out of the wheel. So I think this issue comes down to your technique. If you lock your thumbs around the area with the buttons, paddles may be better for avoiding an accidental shift - something that can be confusing, especially if the car is in Auto mode.

The other advantage is the apparently thicker wheel of the paddle wheel design. I have not noticed this, but others who have switched to it say it is thicker.

The advantage of the normal buttons, aside from the sleek design, is that you can shift up or down with either hand (the paddles are up-right, down-left) - I prefer this arrangement - both buttons do the same thing and one is almost always reachable when I need it. Even though shifting with the wheel at 90 degrees is probably ill-timed, if you want to or need to, the buttons make that easier. Otherwise, you go for the shifter.

If the paddles were stationary and didn't move with the wheel, that would seem better, but they aren't.

You also have no volume control and other handy buttons available on the "paddle" wheel. I like these - maybe not as "sports car pure", but I got the car to enjoy and I enjoy an easy to reach volume control and find being able to zoom the NAV from the wheel also very handy. Porsche did a great job with the original wheel design; not good to write it off without consideration.

Like so many other options, it is not as black and white as some might indicate.

Unless you are buying the car to "flip" it, getting options solely for resale that you may not enjoy makes no sense. And I don't think paddles vs buttons is a big deal anyway for resale.

Last edited by stevepow; 11-19-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:16 PM
A kink in the order now...

After I sent in my 5k deposit along with my order, my salesperson is now saying that we'll need to send in a $20k non-refundable deposit along with a new sales agreement due to the color choice we made. I informed him that since the terms of the sales has changed and they are requiring extra commitment from us, we'd like to renogetiate the deal and if they are not willing to renegotiate, we'd like to hold off the order until after the holiday season.

What upsets us was that no one had informed us that there is a different level of deposit and requirements if we order in a certain way. (and we are indeed ordering from the "regular" Porsche offering) In fact, in our original negotiation, we were dealing with a base Carrera at a much lower price point and we have actually increased our budget with a much more loaded Carrera S which I believe is more favorable to the dealer's profit. We do not like to have changing terms when dealing with any purchase and if this was explained to us ahead of time, I'd be more than glad to pay (or decided against it). Also, what really upsets us is that they keep coming to tell us that they have another customer who's paying more and also wants the same December build slot and they are doing me a favor to hold it off for us so I have basically told them that it is their choice to let the other "customer" move forward while we resolve our differences.

Is this expected?

Old 11-21-2010, 08:06 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by llngoc
A kink in the order now...

After I sent in my 5k deposit along with my order, my salesperson is now saying that we'll need to send in a $20k non-refundable deposit along with a new sales agreement due to the color choice we made.
Wow - never heard of that - not like you are doing paint-to-sample or lime green. I think I'd renegotiate with a different dealer. For some reason it seems like he doesn't trust that you'll buy it. A base-line lack of trust seems like a really bad foundation for a deal. Not even sure if what they are asking for is legit. Can they legally keep the deposit if you don't want the car? I'm thinking no.

And asking someone to park $20K on the sidelines for several months - that's pretty harsh.

When I bought my car, I felt like the sales guy was working for me to look out for me. Of course he was looking our for the dealer and himself, but in a way that everyone did OK and no one did great.

How much discount are they giving you?

Seems like I have heard good things about, at least, the service in Fremont - have you checked them out? Or is that who you are working with?

Last edited by stevepow; 11-21-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:19 PM
Here is the response I got from the dealer when I am questioning this change of term:

Hope you are not taking it the wrong way, the $20k deposit requirement is solely for minimize our risk in case of XXXXX's family not able/decided not to/or just simply changing their minds of not taking delivery of this custom build order. In addition, we need a firmer committment from you towards this order. It's partially my fault that I didn't mentioned this situation in advance, my apology. Please don't get us wrong that we are "not" trying to keep your $20k but would want to be sure you would proceed with the delivery.

BTW, this is not Fremont. May be I should deal with Fremont instead. The discount is 7% off MSPR which I believe is okay but not great.

Originally Posted by stevepow
Wow - never heard of that - not like you are doing paint-to-sample or lime green. I think I'd renegotiate with a different dealer. For some reason it seems like he doesn't trust that you'll buy it. A base-line lack of trust seems like a really bad foundation for a deal. Not even sure if what they are asking for is legit. Can they legally keep the deposit if you don't want the car? I'm thinking no.

And asking someone to park $20K on the sidelines for several months - that's pretty harsh.

When I bought my car, I felt like the sales guy was working for me to look out for me. Of course he was looking our for the dealer and himself, but in a way that everyone did OK and no one did great.

How much discount are they giving you?

Seems like I have heard good things about, at least, the service in Fremont - have you checked them out? Or is that who you are working with?

Old 11-22-2010, 04:31 AM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
It's a hot pink car.. they're not being out of line by asking for $20K to order it.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Well, we are actually still sticking with Macadamia with Terracotta interior which is the exact same car as the one in the Carrera brochure. Now if I have an extra $20k to burn, I'd order a hot pink and reject it when it comes in and see who's going to buy that.

It's a hot pink car.. they're not being out of line by asking for $20K to order it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help with interior color on a Macadamia