997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 slope question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 05:09 PM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
997 slope question

I've been obsessing over getting a 05-07 997S, but it just dawned on me I may have trouble getting up my driveway with the a low car. I know I can change the approach angle, but I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into.

Does anyone know what grade a first gen 997 and 997S can clear?

Cheers and Thanks

Old 11-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
Just get the car, then fix the driveway. Otherwise, you'll have a hell of a time convincing your wife or SO that you need to fix the driveway to get a car. Easier to ask forgiveness than permission

Old 11-16-2010, 05:24 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
Just get the car, then fix the driveway. Otherwise, you'll have a hell of a time convincing your wife or SO that you need to fix the driveway to get a car. Easier to ask forgiveness than permission
ROFL........THAT there IS the best advice I have heard in a LOOOONG time...

Cheers,

Stacy

Old 11-16-2010, 07:37 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
I am using 3 pieces of 2x6 for now, I see my neighbors with the wtf look. I don't care. I will come up with a permanent solution later. lol

Old 11-17-2010, 07:35 AM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
Here is an option: Driveway Curb Bridge - http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1

Old 11-17-2010, 09:04 AM
mshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura about
I don't know what the maximum incline without scraping is.....but the steepest part of my driveway is ~10-12 degrees off the street. I can get up this without scraping the front of my car if I drive slowly with a slight turn. (I measured using an app on my iphone called "theodolite"..which measures azimuth, angle of incidence, etc.)

Even if you do scrape the bottom...so what! The only cars without front end scrapes are the ones in show rooms.

check it...

http://hunter.pairsite.com/theodolite/

Old 11-17-2010, 10:18 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
You could always add the front nose lift kit to a set of CO's

Old 11-17-2010, 10:47 AM
scottkim is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by na011
Here is an option: Driveway Curb Bridge - http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1
+1 on this solution, I had friends who had to do this type of curb.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:38 PM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
I whole heartedly agree with this philosophy. After all that's why I'll be spending over the 40k budget she signed on for.

I am using 3 pieces of 2x6 for now, I see my neighbors with the wtf look. I don't care. I will come up with a permanent solution later. lol
2x6... ok, if it comes to it... at least I can say I've got a plan.

I don't know what the maximum incline without scraping is.....but the steepest part of my driveway is ~10-12 degrees off the street. I can get up this without scraping the front of my car if I drive slowly with a slight turn. (I measured using an app on my iphone called "theodolite"..which measures azimuth, angle of incidence, etc.)

Even if you do scrape the bottom...so what! The only cars without front end scrapes are the ones in show rooms.
10-12 Degrees, that's good info!

I saw those driveway bridges when I originally searched, but my drive is basically flat where it meets the road, then it goes up rather steeply. I knew it could be a problem when we bought the house, but the wife really loved the place. What was I gonna say, "my non-existent sports car can't go up the drive." Then we'd get into that whole, "I don't understand why you need a fast car" discussion.

One other thing I was thinking if I had a good photo from the side of a car I could do the trig and figure out the slope. And, yes I'm just that dorky.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:29 AM
dk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to behold
why don't you go to the dealer and just test drive the car and see if it clears ur driveway??
+1 on it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission

Old 11-18-2010, 12:12 PM
mshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by dk10438
why don't you go to the dealer and just test drive the car and see if it clears ur driveway??

+1...and its a lot more fun than playing with a new iPhone app.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:39 AM
Comet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to all
Originally Posted by dk10438
This..
I've found Porsche dealers are extremely lenient with test drives

Old 11-19-2010, 10:21 AM
mgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to all
Considering the height of other sport cars, I find that the 911 is not that bad on clearance. Unless you have a bad driveway it might not be that bad. You can also rent one for a day (if available locally) or I’m sure if you tell the dealer, if it clears you WILL buy it, I’m sure they will figure it out. You can also post a PIC and maybe someone else can compare to what they got on their driveway.