997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Quick question for those with Sport Chrono and factory installed PSE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 02:41 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Quick question for those with Sport Chrono and factory installed PSE

If your 997.2 has both Sport Chrono AND FACTORY-installed Porsche Sport Exhaust, do you have a "exhaust on/off" button as pictured below or is the exhaust note now simply controlled with the "sport" button? (and they possibly haven't updated the manual)

I have researched this for a couple hours to no definitive conclusion. I've heard it's now all in the sport button. But the Porsche 997.2 owners manual says otherwise. See photo.

So how is the PSE activated without hunkering your car down with all the other characteristics defined by the sport button, such as PSM changes, ABS changes, throttle response?

Much appreciated - making sure my dealer retrofits my sport chrono and PSE correctly before I drop a cool $100k++ on this beast

(I'm sure everyone here has heard my tale )

THANKS GUYS!

Attached Images  

Last edited by EricP; 11-17-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:01 PM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
You will have both but the Sport button will also turn on your PSE at the same time when you first press it.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Yossarian is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DaveHutchinson
You will have both but the Sport button will also turn on your PSE at the same time when you first press it.

That sounds right. When I put on the sports button, the sport and PASM lights go on. The PSE light stays off though, and I cant quite tell that it is on.

seperatly I can turn on the PSE without the Sport and it works fine.

I also learned i can turn on sport, then tuern PASM back to normal..which is nice better throttle map, melow ride.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:48 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks guys, but my tech says otherwise. He says the 2011 sport chrono PSE car has a SPORT BUTTON ONLY. No dedicated PSE BUTTON (with muffler tip icon like above)

Who's right? This is a new zero mile 997.2!

Old 11-17-2010, 04:15 PM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
We have a 2011 C4S with PDK, sports chrono and PSE, it has the exhaust button and Sport button. When you press the Sport button it also lights our PSE button. It does the same on our GT3RS, boxster S and boxster Spyder.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:52 PM
chancemartenson is infamous around these parts
what ^ he said. most def both. have an 09 C4S with same setup.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Wow. I believe you guys. And the Porsche technician is disputing. He says 100% of the control of the control of the PSE is via the sport button. Should you not want the other sporty features that activate simultaneously, then hit pasm button afterwards and keep your foot out of it.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:38 PM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
Eric, what year is the car?

Mine was a 2009 C2S, and I had PSE added at the dealership afterwards. The "kit" came with a totally new/replaced lower switch unit which had an individual exhaust button added.

The exhaust would only switch with that button, sport mode would not alter it. (Which was kinda nice if you think about it. You wanna drive in sport mode w/o the exhaust note, lets say for a phone call or something, so you have the best of all worlds!)

Old 11-17-2010, 05:44 PM
2011 c4s. Zero miles.

For those of you that haven't followed my saga, dealer forgot to add sport chrono to the order list and after delivery ALSO realized that Porsche FACTORY forgot to install the Porsche Sport Exhaust I ordered. It's on the window sticker but not the car. (allegedly)

So the dealer apologized and is adding both and I take delivery Friday. I don't trust them so I'm following the process and they said "no PSE (exhaust tip picture) button will exist. It's all controlled by the sport button and ONLY the sport button". I called BS and decided to research here.

Thank you!

Last edited by EricP; 11-17-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:47 PM
If anyone has PSE and sport chrono and 2 minutes of time, use your cameraphone to take a pic of the area for me in your dash and post here.

When I disputed the dealer asking why the owners manual has a photo of the PSE exhaust icon button his exact response was: "You ONLY get that PSE button if you DIDN'T get a sport chrono car, but since you will have sport chrono you'll simply use the sport button - no need for a PSE button on the car".

Last edited by EricP; 11-17-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by KaamaCat

The exhaust would only switch with that button, sport mode would not alter it. (Which was kinda nice if you think about it. You wanna drive in sport mode w/o the exhaust note, lets say for a phone call or something, so you have the best of all worlds!)
On all of our cars, the GT3RS, the Boxster S, the Spyder and the C4S, the Sport button activates the exhaust. You can still deactivate the exhaust without touching the Sport button so the situation you describe is just as easy.

I'm going to assume that the retrofits probably don't tie in with the Sport button the same as if they are from the factory.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:32 PM
excerpt from dealer email:

"I checked in today again with service, they have not received the sport switch that goes in the dash yet to activate the sport exhaust."

At this point I called to ask if they installed the dedicated PSE button which can independently engage the PSE - Their response was "That is done by the sport button - you won't have the button that has the little picture of the tailpipes"

Sorry if I am repeating myself but I'm trying to be totally clear.

DaveH. According to the dealer, the Sport (chrono) retrofit is IDENTICAL to factory minues dash wart chronograph. And the PSE that Porsche Factory sent out to be installed per their negligence is the EXACT unit that should have come upon delivery. There better be ZERO retrofit feel from any of the components

Dealer says "you won't know it wasn't installed by the Stuttgart factory." I said "I will if their isn't a dedicated PSE button!

thank you

Old 11-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Yossarian is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by EricP
excerpt from dealer email:

"I checked in today again with service, they have not received the sport switch that goes in the dash yet to activate the sport exhaust."

At this point I called to ask if they installed the dedicated PSE button which can independently engage the PSE - Their response was "That is done by the sport button - you won't have the button that has the little picture of the tailpipes"

Sorry if I am repeating myself but I'm trying to be totally clear.

DaveH. According to the dealer, the Sport (chrono) retrofit is IDENTICAL to factory minues dash wart chronograph. And the PSE that Porsche Factory sent out to be installed per their negligence is the EXACT unit that should have come upon delivery. There better be ZERO retrofit feel from any of the components

Dealer says "you won't know it wasn't installed by the Stuttgart factory." I said "I will if their isn't a dedicated PSE button!

thank you

yep, sounds like BS. I have a 10 which was my statement above about three independent buttons. Sport only turns on map and PASM. You can deselect pasm but the sport button is most assuradly seperate. I cmoe home tomorrow night and will photo from the airport for you if you have not gotten a picture yet.

Cheers

Old 11-17-2010, 07:20 PM
I just acquired this pic from a 2009 C2S with PSE retro-installed:

Thanks guys! I'll keep you all posted. This HAS to be a miscommunication but they flatly said "NO PSE BUTTON - even after I described it as having the tailpipes pictured on it. I feel like I've been coaching my dealer the whole time. They didn't even know a Porsche Sport Chrono retrofit existed until I had them call their powers that be. So nothing surprises me at this point.

nuts...

Attached Images  

Last edited by EricP; 11-17-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:39 AM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
Your dealer might be confused with the 997.1 version in which, as from the factory, you can only activate the PSE on a Sports Chrono equipped car with the Sport button; one can then turn PASM back to normal pressing its switch. This is one of the very few complaints I have with the 1st generation 997.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Quick question for those with Sport Chrono and factory installed PSE