997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I like the 2010 GT3 ignition Key...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 10:46 AM
tsammann has a spectacular aura abouttsammann has a spectacular aura about
Key Fob

Is it possible to transfer the old circuit board to the new key head, thereby eliminating the need to have it programmed (and save $150)?

Old 12-09-2010, 10:56 AM
pvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nice
It's not as simple as that.

The circuit board is an easy direct transfer.

BUT: there is also a small transponder in the keyfob housing (the size of a small tab of gum) and that is epoxied in solid (I could not get it out even with an exacto knife and applying considerable force).

Without the transponder and the circuitboard and the blade all in the same housing, the key does not work.

In case you're wondering: I did try several permutations of this before giving up and handing the whole kit over to my Indy and paying for the reprogramming.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gloves
I have an 05 that came with both the plastic key and the metal top key. Should it not have?

EDIT: RYAN thanks for the link. That looks like the key that I have. Do you by chance carry the buttons that go in it? Mine are no longer staying in due to the plastic clips breaking off.
Here you are!

ryan@suncoastparts.com

Old 12-09-2010, 12:39 PM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SuncoastRyan
"Only compatible with grey key heads, for 2005-08 models." but i have the metal head key and i compaired it to the plastic one i have and the buttons are NOT that same

Old 12-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gloves
"Only compatible with grey key heads, for 2005-08 models." but i have the metal head key and i compaired it to the plastic one i have and the buttons are NOT that same
My mistake, we asked Porsche and they do not have them for the black key heads yet. Only the grey, maybe in time Porsche will release a repair kit...

ryan@suncoastparts.com

Old 12-09-2010, 01:39 PM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
But I don't want to spend all that money on a new key

Old 12-09-2010, 01:43 PM
lee7758 is infamous around these parts
I love the new key!!!

Old 12-09-2010, 02:02 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SuncoastRyan
My mistake, we asked Porsche and they do not have them for the black key heads yet. Only the grey, maybe in time Porsche will release a repair kit...
Do you have any new complete "old" grey heads?

Old 12-09-2010, 05:02 PM
GTbeowulf is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GothamHistorian
My impressions based on the test drive was that it is a much more involved driving experience than my 997. The salesman didn't really allow much flogging, I didn't take it beyond 4000 rpms and couldn't experience the engine. My impression is that the engine is no different than my 3.6 325 hp engine (which is seriously flawed reasoning, but I was not allowed to experience it, so I have no other basis for this engine). The shifter was ultrashort and very very crisp. The clutch pedal was very heavy and there is almost no play in the clutch, I stalled it twice! The exhaust note was very sweet, but it dominated the cabin, like in a Ferrari with Tubi pipes.

I can't say that it made enough of an impression on me to drop $110K on it, but I blame that on not being allowed to truly experience the 435 hp. I think I am going to pass on the GT3. I'm going to wait for the 991 or take a look at the Turbo 3.8.

Thanks for all the info on the key.
Thanks for the info on the test drive. Consider yourself fortunate to be granted a test drive. I've been refused every time LOL.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Boatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to all
I ordered the new key head a couple of weeks ago and just now transferred the key blade from my old gray key head (top of photo) to the new GT3-style. Took all of 60 seconds for the blade transfer. I'm chickening out trying to get the transponder out and transfer the guts. Now the real 'key' to this is whether when I take it to the dealer they can program it successfully. Stay tuned...

Attached Images  

Last edited by Boatsonthebrain; 12-09-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Boatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Boatsonthebrain
I ordered the new key head a couple of weeks ago and just now transferred the key blade from my old gray key head (top of photo) to the new GT3-style. Took all of 60 seconds for the blade transfer. Now the real 'key' to this is whether when I take it to the dealer they can program it successfully. Stay tuned...
Here's a couple of (poor quality) pics of the new key head prior to the transfer

Attached Images    
Old 12-09-2010, 07:31 PM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
I upgraded my key as well for minimal cost. I removed the transponder (took about 2 hours) from the old key and placed it in the new key. As someone already mentioned, the transponder is glued, but it can be removed.

To remove mine I cut away all of the internals (i.e. battery connectors and plastic pieces around the battery). Try using both an exacto knife and needle nose pliers (as seen in this pic second from the top: http://www.lowes.com/pd_253677-16878...uantity_sold|1) These pliers are great for cutting hard plastic.
Use the pliers to cut away the plastic surrounding the transponder. Slowly and carefully work the transponder away from the key head.

Once the transponder was removed, I used the exacto knife to shave off the dried glue to allow it to fit into the new key head.

Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2010, 01:05 PM
WTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant future
I may have to try this!

Old 12-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WTFitsCarter
I may have to try this!

Same. I'll use the $150 for something else.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:02 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
the metal part sucks tho, rattles regardless....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I like the 2010 GT3 ignition Key...