997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I like the 2010 GT3 ignition Key...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 08:24 AM
GothamHistorian is infamous around these parts
I like the 2010 GT3 ignition Key...

I have a 2005 3.6 coupe. Never did like the thick grey/black plasticky key. I test drove a 2010 GT3 yesterday and it had an all black key with a metal chrome top where the key ring runs through. It felt very heavy and high end. Can the 2010 GT3 be cut for a 2005 997 and can the remote be programmed to the 05 cars? Most importantly, can this be done for less than a small fortune?

Old 11-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
I would also like to know.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:12 AM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
That's the standard key for any 09+ car. You can buy one from suncoast or your dealer. I think I paid $150 or something like that.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:42 AM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah I have the "new" design key for my 06 , you can get the updated design from your dealer or suncoast.

Jason

Old 11-21-2010, 11:23 AM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting, never thought about this

Old 11-21-2010, 12:05 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
I say I'm a bit disappointed with the key as well, looks very normal/cheapish compared to a Mercedes.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:10 PM
gray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud of
OT but how was your GT3 test drive? Did you test the black one from Napleton?

Old 11-21-2010, 12:13 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
That giant clunky key? I'm sure if they asked nicely, the Japanese could help them miniaturize that thing.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:22 PM
WHITE S is infamous around these parts
Anybody have a picture of this thing?

Old 11-21-2010, 03:05 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WHITE S
Anybody have a picture of this thing?
Pretty similar to its predecessor - just a little bigger and shinier. Here it is without the key blade.

Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2010, 06:23 PM
GothamHistorian is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gray911
OT but how was your GT3 test drive? Did you test the black one from Napleton?
Yes, it was from Napleton. It's a 2010 one owner car with 2000 miles (pix show 1600). Previous owner apparently sold it to buy a track only Caymen. It was pretty nice, had a few scrapes on the front chin air dam and a few scuffs on the alcantara center armrest and on the door sills.

My impressions based on the test drive was that it is a much more involved driving experience than my 997. The salesman didn't really allow much flogging, I didn't take it beyond 4000 rpms and couldn't experience the engine. My impression is that the engine is no different than my 3.6 325 hp engine (which is seriously flawed reasoning, but I was not allowed to experience it, so I have no other basis for this engine). The shifter was ultrashort and very very crisp. The clutch pedal was very heavy and there is almost no play in the clutch, I stalled it twice! The exhaust note was very sweet, but it dominated the cabin, like in a Ferrari with Tubi pipes.

I can't say that it made enough of an impression on me to drop $110K on it, but I blame that on not being allowed to truly experience the 435 hp. I think I am going to pass on the GT3. I'm going to wait for the 991 or take a look at the Turbo 3.8.

Thanks for all the info on the key.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:19 PM
raddray is infamous around these partsraddray is infamous around these parts
You don't even need to get a new key blade cut. Just transfer the old key blade over to the new key. It is held in there by a spring latch. Just slide the latch over and pull the blade out and push it into the new key head. You'll just need to program the car to accept the new key by the dealer. You can even just transfer the circuit board to the new key head and the remote features will work. So all you need the dealer to do is get your car programmed to accept the new coded key.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:00 AM
pvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nice
Yep,
As the others in this thread have stated. I had this done for mine.
I have an '06 and the key fob was cracking and falling apart.

I found an unused '09 key fob on everybody's fave auction site for only $75, transferred the key blade and then had it programmed by the dealer for $150 (still a rip off but what do you expect from a Porsche Dealer in Orange County, lol ).

I MUCH prefer the newer key fob. Feels more solid and 'quality', in keeping with a high end car.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to behold
Gentlemen we have the key in question listed on our website here.

Let me know, happy to help!

ryan@suncoastparts.com

Old 12-09-2010, 09:02 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
I have an 05 that came with both the plastic key and the metal top key. Should it not have?

EDIT: RYAN thanks for the link. That looks like the key that I have. Do you by chance carry the buttons that go in it? Mine are no longer staying in due to the plastic clips breaking off.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I like the 2010 GT3 ignition Key...