997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How does a 997.2 2010 CS2 put out as much as a GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 09:07 PM
DÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant future
How does a 997.2 2010 CS2 put out as much as a GT3?

I have been on board for several months, mostly reading. Now I would like to share my experiences as the mod bug hit me hard (kind of like crack).

I bought my car new in June 2010 and started right away with replacing the side marker lights and it all went downhill from there.

Appearance mods include the CF lighted door sills, the MF CF wheel, Handbrake, and shifter (thanks Ryan at Suncoast), and AWE tips - also the Red "S".

Interior also includes the painted console (thanks Shaun at Pioneer to suggest it - heck they were already taking out the console to put in the brake handle); I also changed out all the incandescent lights for cool white LED (had to match the door sills afterall). Then CF mirror overlays as well.

The inspiration for the CF was really the first engine bay mod, which was the fabspeed air intake. Combined with the AWE center muffler delete and then a GIAC software reprogram, I really felt the difference in the seat of the pants.

Last Friday, courtesy of IPD Greg and Turbo Mike of IPD, I went to Huntington Beach to have my plenum replaced.

First was a baseline run on the dyno - airtemp was 61 degrees and relative humidity was around 60%; They had me turn off my GIAC back to stock before I drove in (about 110 miles); The baseline was very strong indeed - 353 WHP - they ran it about 6 times to get the average.

Then, Mike disassembled my air intake and removed the plenum in front of me, while the car was still strapped to the dyno. I have pictures of the two of them next to each other - IPD is a pretty thing to look at compared to the plastic junk removed from the car.

It took about 45 minutes to put the new one in. The vacuum line connects to the actuator so that at 5200 RPM the door swings open. This procedure will require someone skilled to perform it as retractors were needed to pull the boot off the stock plenum and fit the boot back on (I can see why someone said it took their mechanic six hours and dropped the engine to do it) - the right tools make the job easy.

Then it was back to the dyno. No CELs occured - after 6 more runs the increase was noticeable throughout the power band with max WHP at 363.

I was dying to know if the GIAC did anything and so they let me run a couple more, this time flashloading the GIAC to pump mode (set for 91 octane). This brought all the mods together - nearly 375 WHP!!! giving up roughly 20% to drive train loss, this amounts to nearly 430 or more at the crank.

That's how my 997.2 C2S got the heart of a GT3....

Now just a few more mods --- lighter wheels, springs, flywheel, maybe 200 cell cats.....to name a few.

The dyno runs and pics of the install will follow

Attached Images      
Old 11-21-2010, 09:10 PM
DÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant future
Dyno runs

These are some pictures of the dyno runs and the install of the plenum. Please note the car was NEVER removed or the straps changed in anyway during these tests. I really applaud Mike for his engineering and his integrity for wanting to test this way.

Attached Images      

Last edited by DÜnkleblau S; 11-21-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Engine bay with mods

Here's a last picture

Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
Very nice car. The mod bug bites hard, eh?

Great to have another SD member here.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:24 AM
J.Seven is infamous around these parts
Thanks for sharing all this info.

What would be great is seeing you car side by side with a 997 GT3 or 996TT stock, before and after mods. It would be the most credible and reliable way to check the real gains you had. Dyno numbers are beautiful to look at, but real world tests is what counts. Anyway, I believe you must had some hp gains, but 45hp is WAY optimistic.

Love you color combo, it looks great, painted center console is a must too, great looking car (in and out) .

J.Seven

Old 11-22-2010, 04:30 AM
imolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of light
20% drivetrain loss is VERY liberal for any car, much less a porsche. porsche is usually more like 13%-15%. very small loss compared to an average of 18% on most cars. regardless, nice gains.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:42 AM
carfan has a spectacular aura aboutcarfan has a spectacular aura aboutcarfan has a spectacular aura about
Nice gains and thanks for the proof of IPD plenum !

Enjoy your Pcar !

Old 11-22-2010, 11:07 AM
lee7758 is infamous around these parts
Nice intake!

Old 11-22-2010, 11:43 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci
20% drivetrain loss is VERY liberal for any car, much less a porsche. porsche is usually more like 13%-15%. very small loss compared to an average of 18% on most cars. regardless, nice gains.
How would one calculate a 13% loss? I'm not sure how the OP did his math, but if you take 430 and multiply by .87 (to account for a 13% loss), you get 374.1, which is right at the figure he's using as his final whp = 374.2. If my math is correct, then 430 seems reasonable, no?

Old 11-23-2010, 01:01 AM
ROADRAGE is a jewel in the roughROADRAGE is a jewel in the roughROADRAGE is a jewel in the roughROADRAGE is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by DÜnkleblau S
I have been on board for several months, mostly reading. Now I would like to share my experiences as the mod bug hit me hard (kind of like crack).

I bought my car new in June 2010 and started right away with replacing the side marker lights and it all went downhill from there.

Appearance mods include the CF lighted door sills, the MF CF wheel, Handbrake, and shifter (thanks Ryan at Suncoast), and AWE tips - also the Red "S".

Interior also includes the painted console (thanks Shaun at Pioneer to suggest it - heck they were already taking out the console to put in the brake handle); I also changed out all the incandescent lights for cool white LED (had to match the door sills afterall). Then CF mirror overlays as well.

The inspiration for the CF was really the first engine bay mod, which was the fabspeed air intake. Combined with the AWE center muffler delete and then a GIAC software reprogram, I really felt the difference in the seat of the pants.

Last Friday, courtesy of IPD Greg and Turbo Mike of IPD, I went to Huntington Beach to have my plenum replaced.

First was a baseline run on the dyno - airtemp was 61 degrees and relative humidity was around 60%; They had me turn off my GIAC back to stock before I drove in (about 110 miles); The baseline was very strong indeed - 353 WHP - they ran it about 6 times to get the average.

Then, Mike disassembled my air intake and removed the plenum in front of me, while the car was still strapped to the dyno. I have pictures of the two of them next to each other - IPD is a pretty thing to look at compared to the plastic junk removed from the car.

It took about 45 minutes to put the new one in. The vacuum line connects to the actuator so that at 5200 RPM the door swings open. This procedure will require someone skilled to perform it as retractors were needed to pull the boot off the stock plenum and fit the boot back on (I can see why someone said it took their mechanic six hours and dropped the engine to do it) - the right tools make the job easy.

Then it was back to the dyno. No CELs occured - after 6 more runs the increase was noticeable throughout the power band with max WHP at 363.

I was dying to know if the GIAC did anything and so they let me run a couple more, this time flashloading the GIAC to pump mode (set for 91 octane). This brought all the mods together - nearly 375 WHP!!! giving up roughly 20% to drive train loss, this amounts to nearly 430 or more at the crank.

That's how my 997.2 C2S got the heart of a GT3....

Now just a few more mods --- lighter wheels, springs, flywheel, maybe 200 cell cats.....to name a few.

The dyno runs and pics of the install will follow
Thinking of getting a Plenum also. Care to PM Turbo Mike's contact info? Thanks in advance

Old 11-23-2010, 05:55 AM
eathvy is infamous around these parts
Lot of fun isn't it. I have never enjoyed my car so much. The plenum really brings all the mods together.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by Jack667
How would one calculate a 13% loss? I'm not sure how the OP did his math, but if you take 430 and multiply by .87 (to account for a 13% loss), you get 374.1, which is right at the figure he's using as his final whp = 374.2. If my math is correct, then 430 seems reasonable, no?
I guestimated at 12-13% to be conservative; I can tell you I do feel a difference with all these modifications coming together - considering the X51 package costs 16K PLUS installation; spending 5K including installation on these mods seems a better deal!

Old 11-23-2010, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by ROADRAGE
Thinking of getting a Plenum also. Care to PM Turbo Mike's contact info? Thanks in advance
IPD Greg aka Greg Martin is the contact point. I don't have enough rep points to be allowed to pm

Old 11-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by Axxlrod
Very nice car. The mod bug bites hard, eh?

Great to have another SD member here.
Like I said, it's like crack....

SD is a great place to own one of these cars - very predictable weather

Old 11-24-2010, 12:11 AM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
As I understand it, just a few well-chosen mods can really make the new 3.8 DFI engine in the C2S and C4S shine brighter than it already does, with about 425-430 hp (at the crank) expected, and reasonably so. This is not bloated or exaggerated hype. So yes the engine performance is very VERY close if not equal to a GT3.
I love it.

Congratulations!

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 11-24-2010 at 03:45 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How does a 997.2 2010 CS2 put out as much as a GT3?