997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Oil consumption / trouble in paradise?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 02:09 PM
jkassay is infamous around these parts
My 2009 has 4000 miles and I have added 4 quarts.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:29 AM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Fahrer
DI has nothing to do with the oil consumption. The 997.2 engines have a different cylinder liner technique compared to the 997.1 models.
+1 DFI, or any fuel-injection system should have no bearing on oil consumption whatsoever.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:56 AM
signature65 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
+1 DFI, or any fuel-injection system should have no bearing on oil consumption whatsoever.
-1 The MFI systems from the early 911's used the engine oil for lubricating the mechanical injection pump. They didnt necessarly burn oil but they did leak from time to time.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:34 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by signature65
-1 The MFI systems from the early 911's used the engine oil for lubricating the mechanical injection pump. They didnt necessarly burn oil but they did leak from time to time.
My DFI engine uses no oil.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:28 AM
dtakenname is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by adias
My DFI engine uses no oil.
If some DFI engines burn oil and some don't, doesn't it indicate that there is a problem?

Old 11-24-2010, 10:50 AM
mathfuzzy is infamous around these parts
All - thanks for posting your experience with oil consumption; it's all very helpul.

As to the (paraphrasing here) "if some consume oil and some don't, isn't there a problem" question, well, good question. I'm not sure if there's something inherant in the design of the flat six that makes this such a pervasive problem, but it is a little frustrating that after 45 years of experience Porsche hasn't wresstled this "feature" down to the ground.

The good news is the 993 and later engines no longer leak like the early 911s. The bad news is that oil consumption seems to continue to be a variable from engine to engine. I had two 993s that were only a couple hundred serial numbers apart, and one used about a quart every 800 miles and the other used almost nothing. Sounds like it's the same with the 997...including the .2, which saw such a major redesign of the engine. Seems funny that it would continue to seem to be a crap shoot.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:50 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
The Manual says:

up to 1.5 liters/1000 km

(1.6 quarts/622 miles)

Some (most?) use less, and some outlier data points at zero.

It is worth reading through the manual about oil consumption as it can vary quite a bit depending on how the car is used.

Probably nothing random about the availability of those Velcro-oil-bags - I keep two loaded in the frunk just in case I need some on the road. My e39 M5 could drop over 1 quart on a 200 mile drive - probably due to diluted oil getting a good work out on a long drive, so I got used to keeping plenty on hand on the road.

Last edited by stevepow; 11-24-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:33 PM
p's pcar is infamous around these partsp's pcar is infamous around these parts
oil pressure

I'm new to Porsche and to this forum. I have had my 07 Carrera S for about 2 weeks now. I was concerned about my oil pressure and found this thread. Instead of having low pressure, I have high pressure and seems like high oil level. Wondering if this is a problem and if there's any easy way to remove a bit of oil.

In regards to your problem, I was wondering if you were able to check the pressure at higher revs.

Page 105 of the 2007 MY manual says:

"With the engine warmed up and running at a speed of 5000 rpm, the oil pressure should be approx. 3.5 bar or higher."

On another note, is that a Belgian Groenendahl you have in your pic? I have an all black half Malinois-half GSD and previously had a purebred Mal.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:41 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by p's pcar
I'm new to Porsche and to this forum. I have had my 07 Carrera S for about 2 weeks now. I was concerned about my oil pressure and found this thread. Instead of having low pressure, I have high pressure and seems like high oil level. Wondering if this is a problem and if there's any easy way to remove a bit of oil.

In regards to your problem, I was wondering if you were able to check the pressure at higher revs.

"With the engine warmed up and running at a speed of 5000 rpm, the oil pressure should be approx. 3.5 bar or higher."

On another note, is that a Belgian Groenendahl you have in your pic? I have an all black half Malinois-half GSD and previously had a purebred Mal.
The OP does not report low oil pressure, he reports oil consumption. Once the car is warm oil pressure should be around 2 at idle and high 3, 4, 5, under acceleration. All good.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:25 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !

Why do you think you have high oil level - is that what the e-dipstick is telling you?

Old 12-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
In my new to me '09' CS I have not observed any oil loss in the first 1000 mikes of ownership.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:33 PM
p's pcar is infamous around these partsp's pcar is infamous around these parts
Yeah. All of the bars light up including the one above the upper triangle. Started a new thread about it.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:30 PM

I haven't checked it out at higher revs yet - I guess I could just rev it at home, but somehow, 5k RPM standing still never seems like the right thing to do.

My consumption seems certainly on the high side - it looks to be using a quart every 6 to 700 miles. Hopefully that'll settle down. I've scheduled a change, along with the installation of full AWE exhaust, next week to get a better baseline with oil that I know the history of.

Yes, my dog (Lilly) is a 3-year-old Groenendael. She's a really great dog - not particularly good at riding in the Porsche as she gets car sick, but the best dog I've ever owned.

Last edited by mathfuzzy; 12-07-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:50 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Right at 16,000 miles and my 09 997S is not buring oil anywhere like it use to. I started to notice less burning at around 12,000 miles and it has been better recently.

I estimate that around 6,000 miles 30ish track days in 2 years are pure track miles....5000 rpm and up.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:01 PM
I wish I knew how the first 12k miles were put on my car...but that's the exchange with getting a late-model used car...CPO or otherwise.

I'm hoping that, since my car gets a pretty full cycle of driving and regularly sees high revs and full load, consulption will slow down. Either way, the filler tube is pretty slick, so no big deal.