997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Oil consumption / trouble in paradise?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:29 AM
mathfuzzy is infamous around these parts
Oil consumption / trouble in paradise?

So, everything seems great with my CPO 997.2 Targa 4S. Drives great, runs great, couldn't be happier...EXCEPT...after less than 1k miles (12.5k total), i recently checked the oil for the first time and added 1.75 quarts to get it from the bottom mark to the top mark. And the oil pressure never seems to move above 3 bar...and hovers around 2 bar during cruising (although my eyes are usually somewhere else on full throttle...I'll try to get a safe reading during full throttle). And there is no oil on the garage floor.

I'm assuming (embarrassed that I didn't check when I took delivery of the car) that the oil was full when I took delivery.

I also check the oil this morning - about 150 miles after filling it to the top mark, and it is already down a measure.

It's got Mobil 1 0-40 in it.

I searched the forum and didn't see any chatter about excessive oil consumption being a problem in the .2 cars.

I've got a bad feeling that something is up inside the engine.

Thoughts?

Old 11-22-2010, 09:31 AM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
You must have missed it in your search but the .2 DFI engines do use rather a lot of oil, you're far from alone!

I've seen the same on our Spyder/C4S too.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:34 AM
Thanks Dave - I searched "oil consumption" and a couple of other derrivations but didn't see anything specific.

Is a quart / 500 miles excessive or ballpark?

Old 11-22-2010, 10:18 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
That seems high - in 500 miles. I have used 3.5quarts in 8500 miles - probably a little more, since I also had two oil changes and was not full at the time of the change.

However, I do keep two of those velcro-to-the-liner oil cases in the frunk with a quart each in them because it does seem to like oil.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
I have put in 2.5 quarts so far - with 4500 miles on the clock. And I don't fill it to the top mark, either - I just check the level every gas fill or so. And after reading the posts on 6speed about the 997.2's DFI - I was expecting to feed my car regularly. Otherwise, it's running just fine... Oh, and regarding oil pressure, I see the same sort of readout - between 2-3 bar for regular cruising speeds. And with WOT I'm looking where I'm going too

Last edited by Scoper; 11-22-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by Scoper
I have put in 2.5 quarts so far - with 4500 miles on the clock. And I don't fill it to the top mark, either - I just check the level every gas fill or so. And after reading the posts on 6speed about the 997.2's DFI - I was expecting to feed my car regularly. Otherwise, it's running just fine... Oh, and regarding oil pressure, I see the same sort of readout - between 2-3 bar for regular cruising speeds. And with WOT I'm looking where I'm going too
Thanks - yeah, I'll start being dilligent about figuring out just now much oil I'm using. Thanks also for the feedback about oil pressure - my 993's were both toward the high mark at cruising. I read other posts about oil pressure on the 997.2, which seemed to say the same thing, but it was hard to figure out something conclusive. Anyway, thanks for the helpful information.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:10 PM
ScottAtlGa is infamous around these parts
Same experience here and in my '11 Cayenne V8. Was worried at first, but just keep oil on hand and fill as needed. Minor issue compared to some that owners fo other makes are dealing with. I also found the Mobil 1 0W40 at Autozone and that is sometimes more convenient than the dealer. Same price, about $8 per qt.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:21 PM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
[quote
I'm assuming (embarrassed that I didn't check when I took delivery of the car) that the oil was full when I took delivery.

I also check the oil this morning - about 150 miles after filling it to the top mark, and it is already down a measure.

It's got Mobil 1 0-40 in it.

I searched the forum and didn't see any chatter about excessive oil consumption being a problem in the .2 cars.

I've got a bad feeling that something is up inside the engine.

Thoughts?[/quote]

I don't think you checked closely enough... There were several threads on excessive oil use in the new 09s and much grinding of teeth..
Not much has been said in the past several months about excessive oil usage and I'm not sure why other than it may have become less of a problem..
I was one of the ones who was suffering but for some reason only known to God the 1 quart per 600 miles has dropped off considerably. It just stopped burning oil........ I've done nothing different and just had the oil changed two hundred miles ago... I'm guessing I'm down to using a quart every 1200 miles now and I'm thrilled about it.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:01 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
I wonder if the '09's had a new piston ring design or something that takes a bit longer to seat-in. (?) I can't see how just the DFI alone could be the problem.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:14 PM
caly is infamous around these parts
according to the dealer 1500 1 quart, I have read alot of oil consumption n there r some that dont burn oil,mine already at 3-6000k n still full

Old 11-23-2010, 12:56 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Every 1500-2K miles I add a quart .

Old 11-23-2010, 05:05 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
DI has nothing to do with the oil consumption. The 997.2 engines have a different cylinder liner technique compared to the 997.1 models.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:16 AM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
You are going to find, as even with any car, the oil consumption can be all over the place. When I had the 997.2, I kept the level at just above mid-point, never to full bars. (at best always had 1 bar blank). I do not recall having any issues even when traded-in, which was (cant remember) but lets say 12K miles. I did to my own changes at 5K miles max.

Now on the other hand, I've heard of a few.........and mostly few....... that have hit the situation where they are bordering on excessive consumption. But again a rare few.

Question. Do you have any idea when the oil was changed last? (And I say that because you may just want to do the change yourself..... and start the readings from that knowing you are clean from day1). Just a suggestion. I was using 7.8qts during my changes.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:00 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by KaamaCat
... When I had the 997.2, I kept the level at just above mid-point, never to full bars. (at best always had 1 bar blank).
That's a good idea, confirmed by my service guy - and never add more than .5qt without rechecking the level as the reading is not consistent. You don't want to overfill it, and there's no need to aim for the very top of the line.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:46 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
my 09 burning oil too but now after 2 years of track use and 15k mile oil consumption is around 1 quart every 1500-2000 miles.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption / trouble in paradise?