997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Finally ..... Top Gear/History Channel.... anyone see it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 12:19 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Wow, you guys are a tough crowd. I don't think it's that bad. Nothing like the original but better than nothing. It took TG UK a long time to be good so you can only hope it'll take just as long for TG US to be any good.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Davidham is infamous around these parts
Copying is the highest form of flattery! And they did it spades, right down to the music. Tough to the original.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Majac4122 is infamous around these parts
I didn't love it but didn't hate. I agree with everyone that the chemistry between the host needs to improve greatly. Personally, I'd keep Foust and find 2 better co-host. I really liked Foust in Supercars. He gives a "regular guy" reaction to driving these awesome cars. I know they have the same setup up as Top Gear UK but I wasn't a fan of all the variety show bits on that show. They did a great job entertaining while driving the cars and that was what I was a fan of.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:43 AM
tcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to behold
When the original Star Trek came out, the first few episodes were really bad... It is a cult series now.

Let's give them a season - if they don't get better, I say lets find Tanner a couple more compadres,

T.

P.S.: Note to the producers: I am REALLY, REALLY cheap, quite fat and ugly, have opinions on everything (hey, I'm French Canadian) and very entertaining in a jacka$$ kind of way. Hint, hint...

Last edited by tcouture; 11-26-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:02 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
"Romania Idol" does not feature Simon Cowell!!!! Get over it. Clarkson does not like the US and is not coming........

Old 11-26-2010, 10:02 PM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
Huge fan of the original and have all episodes on a hard drive. Thought the us version was awful. Hosts are terrible and have no personality. Jokes are lame. Tanner is a great driver though, I will give him that.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:26 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Second episode was better than the first. Wish they wouldn't try to be exact replicas of the UK version. There is nothing US about it.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:39 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
What the US version has is spectacular filming and landscapes.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:03 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
2nd Episode was leaps and bounds better than the 1st and I actually liked the first. The show mimics the UK version but I think Tanner and crowd bring some uniqueness. Its especially nice to have an actual race car driver on staff... albeit drifter and rally car driver.

Jason

Old 11-29-2010, 09:57 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Wow - episode 2 was awesome. The ski sequence was fantastic - well filmed.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:09 PM
Dave's911 is infamous around these parts
I actually think this weeks episode was worse. There were some good scenes, but the lines and their attempt at humor was painful.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:57 PM
RyanJ is infamous around these parts
I missed a few minutes... but what I did see was at the same level as the first episode. I agree with Daves911 (above). The forced humor was painful to watch.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:36 AM
tcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to behold
On a more positive note, since this version is US based, maybe we will see how some of these cars perform in the dry...

Hey, I am a "glass is half full" type of guy who is just glad to have one more car show to watch (it sure beats the home renovation channel if you ask me).

Cheers,

T.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Rev_2_8k is infamous around these parts
There are some shining moments... but like others have said, the chemistry needs to be built up over time. I can't help notice they 'over do' the fun factor while trying to copy the UK's Top Gear slap stick humour.

I'll give them a season.... I just think they won't ever get to the top like their UK brothers.

Last edited by Rev_2_8k; 12-01-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:18 AM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
I like the US version. I find that they have great footage. Their film and camera budget is HUGE.

As for the comedic interaction and one-liners...they aren't bad. Some funny, some not. But I had the same problem with the BBC Top Gear.

Top Gear BBC has the same formula over and over and over...get in the car, talk about what a drag it is, how it feels like a lumbering giant or the engineers were drunk at Oktoberfest until "..you push this tiny button and OH MY GOOOD - I WOKE THE DEVIL----WHAT A BEAST!!!!!!!"

It's their formula - I always know when Jeremy starts out a review abysmally, it will end up a great car. (BMW M5, M3, Porsche GT3, etc...the list is long)

But I'd rather watch either series than anything else on TV !!

Last edited by EricP; 12-01-2010 at 09:29 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally ..... Top Gear/History Channel.... anyone see it?