997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Finally ..... Top Gear/History Channel.... anyone see it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 02:38 PM
mathfuzzy is infamous around these parts
I enjoy the UK version much more than the US version. I watched the 2nd episode, and was left wondering why it exists / what's the point. It strikes me as a less entertaining, not nearly as well-produced copy. It's hard to imagine that this show would make it to another season. Place your bets...

Old 12-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
NOTHING tops the chemistry between Clarkson, Hammond and "Capt. Slow". I think Tanner Foust is the only good thing about the US version. I'm very "used" to Tanner after watching him first on Mag Rack (the early version of "on demand" on Cablevision) then on "Supercars Exposed", "Battle of the Supercars" and of course X-Games and the vaious other events he competes at. BTW, I didn't like "Battle of the Supercars" because I got very sick of the B.S. trash talk between Tanner and Paul. That ruined the whole show for me. Anyone else agree with me on that?

I recently moved out of the New York area and Comcast is my new cable provider. I am lucky that the package I chose has BBC America so I can watch Top Gear with the original U.K. hosts.

While I did see the first two episodes of Top Gear USA I'm not sure I'll continue to watch it on a regular basis. I'll probably check the episode description to see if there is anything of interest to me like (of course) Porsche and also Ferrari (love the new 458 but that sucker is w-a-y out of my budget not to mention the "legendary" reliabiltiy of Italian cars - LOL! )

I won't look forward to Monday night TV after next week anyway since "Little People Big World" is ending for good.

Last edited by Auto_Union; 01-28-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:38 AM
mshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura about
Episdode #2 was marginally better than #1 regarding car-info. This was a positive note. I thought the Aston Martin horsepower comparison and Mitsubishi AWD drive selection (snow, gravel, asphault) were pretty neat.

...but it is still difficult to not compare: Last year's TG UK episode with the bobsled vs. car had much better winter rally driving footage. The handi-dog pissing on the TG-US logo on stage might have been the "blind drift" highlight. The hosts' chemistry still blows and the dialog is contrived. I'm not convinced Brooklyn and Hill Bill are actually driving in their sequences. (BTW - TG UK didn't start with James May/Captain Slow. He was a replacement after the 2nd season.)

It is supposed to get better in Episode 3. (fingers crossed).

Last edited by mshanler; 12-02-2010 at 10:50 AM. Reason: edits 2
Old 12-02-2010, 03:13 PM
yorksboy01742 is infamous around these parts
I am with tcouture and others - I love TG UK and they have had so many changes since it first started it will the US version maybe a series for them to find their feet. However, in the same "half full" approach, where else on US TV are you going to get the same type of content.

I agree that Foust is the only real interesting host - bring in Adam Corolla and Jay Leno and THEN we have a program.

Ferarra is almost useless - he should stick to playing needles on Rescue me.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:24 PM
mathfuzzy is infamous around these parts
That's why Ferarra looks familiar - Rescue Me.

His demeanor kind of works in that role. But not at all on TG USA. Completely bland, bad delivery...no fun to watch.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:54 PM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
Agreed the show would have been so much better with Corolla.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:58 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
just saw the lates edition with the "bootleg" car challenge and I laughed my @ss off! That Cadillac on the dirt track hahaha

soo far the best episode IMHO

Old 12-06-2010, 09:54 PM
jawwadh is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by og risker
just saw the lates edition with the "bootleg" car challenge and I laughed my @ss off! That Cadillac on the dirt track hahaha

soo far the best episode IMHO
yah i agree it was much better than the first 2

Old 12-06-2010, 09:57 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jawwadh
yah i agree it was much better than the first 2
Ironically, no cars were reviewed and it was the best episode.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:47 AM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Yep, episode 3 is by far the best so far... its not a bad thing that the shows are getting better with each episode.

Jason

Old 12-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JEllis
Yep, episode 3 is by far the best so far... its not a bad thing that the shows are getting better with each episode.

Jason
I concur the more cars shows the merrier, I don't want to see the show die, then we are stuck with Motorweek's John Davis, can you say 'boring'

Old 12-07-2010, 10:07 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Sorry guys, but I find the shows are getting more lame every week. The obvious staging and scripted juvenile banter get really tiresome for me. I might continue to DVR the shows so I can FF through the boring parts, which leaves about 10 minutes that are at least half watchable.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Freeze is infamous around these parts
While I'd prefer that the show have the chance to mature, I found the last episode extremely lame. The only reason I've been tuning in has been to see the newer high performance car evaluations; this episode had none. Can't see it getting much better with the three hosts they've got on board currently. They've got to find an original path, or reboot.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:20 AM
CJKCyclone is infamous around these parts
HUGE improvement

3rd episode, overall, was good. HUGE improvement over the first two. Regardless of its originality, it WAS entertaining, which is the point. Yes, the banter between the three, while in studio, is terrible. BUT, I think during the segments that are not scripted, the banter is decent.

The British formula works so why not copy it and put an American spin on it?..like bootlegging. If the UK version didn't exist, this would be the best car show on TV in the US. The fact that we get both is outstanding.

I'm warming up to it and I'm rooting for it. Nothing will replace the UK version as being best...but it is GOOD thing to have an American version, even if it is not as good...yet.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:40 AM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
I think they should consider renaming the show, "Tanner Faust goes drifting.."

Personally, I'd rather watch "Chasing Classic Cars".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally ..... Top Gear/History Channel.... anyone see it?