997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Finally ..... Top Gear/History Channel.... anyone see it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 05:03 PM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
Finally ..... Top Gear/History Channel.... anyone see it?

Have to say I was very impressed with the new US based version of Top Gear.... never a huge fan of the original variety show (too much BS and not enough car) but the current US version I thought was quite good for a first episode....

Anyone have any ideas on whom the STIG is and thoughts on the show....my guess is Paul Tracy for some reason...

Eager to see the show evolves over the next 10 episodes and of course hope to see some P cars being featured....

http://www.history.com/shows/top-gear

Don't read this line if you haven't seen the show - But had to comment on the Viper ACR that beat all the track times of the three Lambo's they took around the track...pretty cool considering the ACR costs 1/5th the price of the Merci SV....

Last edited by mickfluff; 11-23-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:14 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
I saw it and while I'm happy to have it

I prefer the brits. As for the ACR, it should have set a better time as its pretty much a track car.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
It was pretty generic if you ask me..they tried too hard, teh chemistry between them isn't there

Old 11-22-2010, 05:40 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
I was pleasantly surprised. I love the UK version so I figured that the US version would suck. I'm going to give them some time to develop some chemistry and with any luck it'll get better still.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:49 PM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
Chemistry

Can't say I agree about generic? But see your point on the chemistry, but to be expected... you can tell it was their first show.... but it was.... so to me that was no issue and think/hope the chemistry will evolve. All good things take time...

Tuff shoes to fill with such an iconic show as Top Gear.... Think overall the show did very well and hope it only gets better....

Time will tell and I will follow thats for sure.

If you haven't seen in, worth it to check out.... unlike many other car shoes on TV these days...

Originally Posted by Tarek307
It was pretty generic if you ask me..they tried too hard, teh chemistry between them isn't there

Last edited by mickfluff; 11-22-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:01 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Just watched it. While I'm a fan a of Clarkson & company I'm more a fan fan of flogging the cars like I wish I could, so I liked the show. Disappointment awaits for those comparing the UK vs US version. It's just different and in time, humor, wit, smarmy charm; aka "chemistry" will evolve.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:49 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
You cannot compare the copy to the original and expect to like the copy better..... if you go into the new Top Gear with that in mind then you will enjoy the show.

I really liked it.

Jason

Old 11-23-2010, 12:10 AM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
These guys don't have chemistry at all and seemed very stiff. I hope it gets better, but for me, it's about the cars anyway. I loved watching that Viper smoke the tires!!

Old 11-23-2010, 12:25 AM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
how were you impressed exactly? the show sucked

Old 11-23-2010, 12:42 AM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Well personally I cannot think of a US show that has even come close to this level... and there have been a lot of attempts.

I guess you could say this is the best American car show.... so even though its not as good as Top Gear UK... its still pretty awesome.

Jason

Old 11-23-2010, 12:52 AM
ROADRAGE is a jewel in the roughROADRAGE is a jewel in the roughROADRAGE is a jewel in the roughROADRAGE is a jewel in the rough
Personally I think they sucked. Nothing compared to the UK blokes.... but still glad to have it though. In it for the cars and not for the commentators. Just my 2 cents

Old 11-23-2010, 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by JEllis
Well personally I cannot think of a US show that has even come close to this level... and there have been a lot of attempts.

I guess you could say this is the best American car show.... so even though its not as good as Top Gear UK... its still pretty awesome.

Jason
But they are the ones who named it top gear, and copied everything, so then they have to live up to the standards...even the Stig looked a bit overweight i think..and awkward in the car

Old 11-23-2010, 04:53 AM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
But they are the ones who named it top gear, and copied everything, so then they have to live up to the standards...even the Stig looked a bit overweight i think..and awkward in the car
It is the "UK Blokes"/ BBC that own "Top Gear" and are franchising the show. Jeremy Clarkson and gang will not be making cameos.

This is no different than American Idol becoming "Indian Idol", "Indonesia Idol", "Turkemeinstan Idol", etc.....

We're lucky Stig doesn't weigh 250lbs and come with a rebel flag bandana.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:10 AM
landsteam is infamous around these parts
I watched the first portion but turned it off, I didn't like it. The UK version I feel is much better.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:35 AM
Entertained

OK here goes...Thought the show would be bland as knocks offs can be and feared (like the UK version) it would be a variety show first and an auto show 4th...which appeals to the masses but less what I like to tune in for when looking for auto related TV. Rather not watch a show catering to the masses and not being really about the cars first and foremost. I was expecting another semi celebrity that I didn't know nor care for (like in the UK version) or too much time spent on general nonsense really not at all related to featured auto's (like the UK version). The modern day copter chasing a modern day Viper was decent and better then 3 beat up campers racing across the state. (like we would see on the the UK version) Also liked the fact that the hosts (although need the chemistry agreed) didn't talk and talk and talk about nothing.... with the fake audience staged laugh again and again. I mean of course it happened but not nearly as much as..... the UK version... Liked the auto's profiled in the Viper and the Lambo's as well.

About sums it up for me, hope that helped.

Could have switched to dancing with the stars? But no need.... not many options out there IMO for good TV that is car related. I watch the original Top Gear, still a great show no doubt but just saying was happy with with what I saw for a 1st episode.... Hope it only gets better...time will tell.

Last edited by mickfluff; 11-23-2010 at 01:15 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally ..... Top Gear/History Channel.... anyone see it?