997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Help on a DME from a PPI for a 2005 C2S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 08:10 AM
cobradoc is infamous around these parts
Thanks for everyone's help. I picked up the car yesterday and couldn't be happier.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:49 AM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
..I wouldn't worry...these cars are built to take it on the chin.

Enjoy !!!

Old 11-30-2010, 10:22 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
There are lots of people on here who will not touch a car that has ever seen anything above a 3. For this car, numbers are very light. It should be a non issue. Now that does not it it WONT be an issue. Just my read from the numbers.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:17 PM
BMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone understand a DME dump reporting Range 2s (155 at 400hrs) and Range 3s (12 at 400hrs) but no Range 1s? Is that physically possible?

Old 11-30-2010, 12:47 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BMiller33
Anyone understand a DME dump reporting Range 2s (155 at 400hrs) and Range 3s (12 at 400hrs) but no Range 1s? Is that physically possible?
You have to pass through 1 to get to 2 so seems like a bogus report.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:17 PM
My only thought would be that the DME records the peak RPM of any single event without recording the ignitions below it for those could be assumed.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:28 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cobradoc
Thanks for the replies everyone. Car still has CPO warranty for 3 more months which is still valid given they found a bad water pump on the PPI that they're currently replacing. Who knows though? If I buy it and the engine goes during the 3 remaining months they may use that to deny a warranty claim. I'll find out tomorrow the engine hours that these ignitions occurred from the dealer. If its remote then I'll be more likely to move forward. I'd still like to hear if anyone else has any thoughts.
Since you really want to know, I wouldn't touch the car if you offered it to me in six months. I know the remaining months of PPO feel reassuring to you right now, but the next buyer won't have that.

Even for yourself, I strongly suggest not buying unless the dealer at least -- and PCNA preferably -- sign a statement reaffirming the CPO for the drive train with that DME readout attached and acknowledged.

Gary

Old 11-30-2010, 05:29 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Yes.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:01 PM
BMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by simsgw
Yes.
Can you elaborate or is it what cobradoc said above? Thanks.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Can you elaborate or is it what cobradoc said above? Thanks.
Sorry, I got interrupted here and just hit 'submit'. The computer classes an over-rev as a single event and then records the time on the engine and how many ignitions occurred in that peak range. It will not record that same event in the other rpm ranges, even if several ignitions took place while the engine was reaching that peak speed or slowing back down.

This is a choice made to keep the event recording simple, no other reason. Obviously, if you wanted a diagnostic tool for the aftermath of a specific event, you would want a time versus rpm map for the entire period the engine spent above red line. That and other data as well if I had my druthers. DME is not that type of tool. Basically, it's just a way to recognize mistreatment of the drive train, either intentional or through error.

Gary

Old 11-30-2010, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by simsgw
Since you really want to know, I wouldn't touch the car if you offered it to me in six months. I know the remaining months of PPO feel reassuring to you right now, but the next buyer won't have that.

Even for yourself, I strongly suggest not buying unless the dealer at least -- and PCNA preferably -- sign a statement reaffirming the CPO for the drive train with that DME readout attached and acknowledged.

Gary
I've already purchased the car, but I understand your point. I plan on fully explaining the nature of the DME to the next buyer. As stated by another forum member in this thread it's a matter of an individual's risk tolerance. Unfortunately all variables with regards to engine failures to degree and duration of overrevs are unknown, but the next buyer will have to decide for themselves what's best. I can say one thing though, I'm fairly certain they'll get a great deal. I usually price my cars underneath all comparable vehicles on any website (autotrader, cars.com, craigslist, etc.) and they typically sell in month or two. We'll see what the market looks like in 6 months.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by cobradoc
I've already purchased the car, but I understand your point. I plan on fully explaining the nature of the DME to the next buyer.
I'm sorry, Cobradoc. I really have to check date/time hacks before responding to something like your question. I thought this was still a decision up in the air.

Gary