997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Lights are driving me crazy!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:48 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stevepow
... It is not supposed to be a BMW or MB or a Lexus.
You would think so, but hedge your bets.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:54 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
why do you turn on the parking lights in the first place? here in CA, it is illegal to drive with parking lights on only.

for me, it's either headlights or no light at all.

as for automatic lights? i never had a problem leaving lights on. cupholder, xenon lights, and even heated seats have real functions. automatic lights are for absent minded drivers.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:09 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dshurett
... Now to adias. I agree with some of what you say about not wanting to get between you and the car experience. However, I don't think this would really get in the way much of someone enjoying driving the car.
It was Gary who phrased it that way... Yeah, I agree that Auto lights won't kill the driving experience but you bet it is the slippery slope...

Old 11-30-2010, 11:32 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by adias
It was Gary who phrased it that way... Yeah, I agree that Auto lights won't kill the driving experience but you bet it is the slippery slope...
Didn't the "slippery slope" begin with power windows and cruise control ?

Old 12-01-2010, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I think so.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:37 AM
Peter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud of
I cant believe this thread has gone on for 4 pages. Start driving your cars and quit focusing on all the unimportant things. Most of the modern day cars just feel like driving an appliance to me. Automatic lights, cruise control, automated climate control, hell even some have parking assist that guides your car into the parking spot for you.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:54 AM
Originally Posted by Peter1.8t
I cant believe this thread has gone on for 4 pages. Start driving your cars and quit focusing on all the unimportant things. Most of the modern day cars just feel like driving an appliance to me. Automatic lights, cruise control, automated climate control, hell even some have parking assist that guides your car into the parking spot for you.

You are preaching to my side of the choir.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:23 AM
Peter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by adias
You are preaching to my side of the choir.
Glad someone feels the same way. Lets get back to driving our cars now

Old 12-01-2010, 02:36 AM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Peter1.8t
Glad someone feels the same way. Lets get back to driving our cars now
I need just a moment here for nostalgia. My first car had this button you had to push to start the engine instead of turning the key. It's kind of endearing sixty years later to hear people pining for such a button on a 21st century supercar.

Okay. All done with memory lane. Let's drive these things!

Gary

Old 12-01-2010, 04:33 PM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
Ok, seriously. Am I the only one here with OCD? I'll check the goddamn lights, windows, doors, etc. 12 times before I go in the house. Then I'll go out and do it again just to make sure.

J

Old 12-01-2010, 06:12 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by djantlive
why do you turn on the parking lights in the first place? here in CA, it is illegal to drive with parking lights on only.

as for automatic lights? i never had a problem leaving lights on. cupholder, xenon lights, and even heated seats have real functions. automatic lights are for absent minded drivers.
How do the Vette drivers get around that law - their DRL's are the amber parking lights.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:13 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by simsgw
I need just a moment here for nostalgia. My first car had this button you had to push to start the engine instead of turning the key. It's kind of endearing sixty years later to hear people pining for such a button on a 21st century supercar.

Okay. All done with memory lane. Let's drive these things!

Gary
I looked into that issue - the stupidest thing is that 997 car HAS daylight sensor, it HAS special signal in ECU but for some reason Porsche did not put in a relay to hook this signal to lights selection ****. It is done on their SUV but not on 997.

I struggled with it in the beginning, now I just turn it in myself when I need it and turn it off myself. Took approximately same amount of time as to start feeling the clutch perfectly and stop jerking car from 1st to 2nd gear upshift.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:15 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
inside door handles too. a 'proper' car has those nifty little belts there.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:57 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by djantlive

That certainly used to be the case, but something has changed because all sorts of cars have running lights, including the current Carreras and the Corvettes and all the Audis and Heaven knows what else.

Incidentally, I checked yesterday when I came back from the pharmacy picking up meds that hopefully will make us feel enough better that we actually want to live long enough to outlast this current virus. The OP is right. When you shut down the engine, the headlights do go off. First time I've had a car that did that. I can only guess I haven't noticed in the last year and ten days because I either turn the lights off automatically or when that beeping sound reminds me. Until I did it intentionally, I've never been outside the car with the switch in the 'on' position.