997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Do you allow others to drive your 997?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 01:52 AM
brendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond repute
for the most part, i'm like a missionary offering to let people drive my porsches.

that is, except for valets...and northvan

most people decline.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:16 AM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tourbillon001
I bought my car in a similar shot gun way. I had made up my mind that I was going to buy an AMV8 Vantage when my lady convinced me to at least try a 911. After my short test drive I was not 100 percent that I wanted the car until we pulled back into the dealer and my sales person (a very good friend of mine) had another couple there to look at the car. It was the last 09 on the lot. As soon as he walked them over to look at it a light switched in my head and I just said this one is sold so no need to look at it. If that would not have happened I'm almost positive I would have bought the AM and regretted it several months later.
I started to exclaim at the coincidence since I also was considering an AM V8 Vantage before we ended up with a C2S. Then I realized, the pyramid gets pretty narrow up here near the top. Not more than half a dozen cars are seriously in the same class to be considered by someone who would be attracted to either of these. I don't know about you, but I decided against the AM because maintenance is historically a significant factor if you try to use one as a daily driver. And since the drive to the nearest Porsche dealer for maintenance trips was already an issue, doing it twice as often for an Aston was out of the question.

But they sure are lovely cars...

Gary

Old 12-03-2010, 04:17 AM
anthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond reputeanthinino has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by simsgw
I started to exclaim at the coincidence since I also was considering an AM V8 Vantage before we ended up with a C2S. Then I realized, the pyramid gets pretty narrow up here near the top. Not more than half a dozen cars are seriously in the same class to be considered by someone who would be attracted to either of these. I don't know about you, but I decided against the AM because maintenance is historically a significant factor if you try to use one as a daily driver. And since the drive to the nearest Porsche dealer for maintenance trips was already an issue, doing it twice as often for an Aston was out of the question.

But they sure are lovely cars...

Gary
I too believe its more than coincidence because although I keep purchasing Porsches I have always enjoyed the lines of the AM Vantage, and strongly considered one prior to just purchasing my last Porsche. Also, in similar fate I was talking with my Porsche mechanic of the last 20 years (never informed him of my AM infatuation) and he told me he was strongly considering trading one of his turbos for an AM V8 Vantage. He also said eventhough when driving one they are like overly heavy, he was still considering it even if it was not rational. Which makes the point that its more than a coincidence that Porsche 911 owners like the AM V8 Vantage, and your point about selection probably is a major factor because I find myself loving the Ferrari also but when choosing one or the other I always fall back to the 911. Unforetunately I don't have wads of cash and can buy all of them but hey who's complaining, life is still good.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:52 AM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
of course I'd let someone drive my car.... If it's as good as you all profess it to be then what would be the problem? It's just a car. Would I let my 16 year old grandson drive it than I suppose the answer would be NO unless I was sitting next to him... Too many temptations....
I wouldn't give the car to someone going for a loaf of bread but that's because I don't trust anyone to park the damn thing out of reach of other cars doors... Actually, I don't trust anyone not to be lazy and walk an extra fifty feet to park any car out of harms way. The only thing I can figure is that most people aren't bothered by the "little things" like a beat to ship car door from inconsiderate jerks.
Bottom line is that mechanically the car can take what most people can dish out but: following to close, putting the right wheels too close to a nail fill curb and dents and dings are the things I would object to.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
The wife and the dealership if it needs a service. That's it!

Old 12-03-2010, 02:09 PM
wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !
just a car... a great car, but just a car. I let friends drive it ( that I trust) and a few of my staff have driven it as a thanks for hard work