997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Can't get into 1st gear at times.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 08:59 AM
mathfuzzy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ubiquitous
I've had the same problem on my 2008 C4S during the colder months when it was my DD during the winter. Kind of scary on a wet/icy/snowy hill and the guy behind you is on your ***.

I usually just depress then re engage the clutch and it usually works or I panic and just try to force it which probably isn't the greatest idea. I should try the 2nd to 1st though.
Too funny - I didn't want to admit the "panic and make it work" approach, but God knows I've done that a couple of times in pole position at a green light. Down to 2nd and then back to 1st always works when adrenaline isn't making the decision for me though.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:04 PM
p's pcar is infamous around these partsp's pcar is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dark911
yea, when the traffic light turns green, and I can't engage.

I had a S2000, Boster before, and they don't seem to have this problem.
I just recently traded in my s2000 for a 997. I've noticed it once in the 997 but also never noticed it in the s2000. I have noticed it in some of the other cars I've had in the past. I thought it was just me getting used to the new car.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:49 AM
rkuo is infamous around these parts
I just keep the clutch in, move it into 2nd and then back to 1st without letting out the clutch. Always works.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:33 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by p's pcar
I just recently traded in my s2000 for a 997. I've noticed it once in the 997 but also never noticed it in the s2000. I have noticed it in some of the other cars I've had in the past. I thought it was just me getting used to the new car.
Well that makes three of us on this thread that went to a 997 from an S2000. I love my car, but the S2000 had it made with that short throw shifter - all the car mags raved about how top-notch that gearbox was. I find the throws are a little longer in my 997 but not a big deal.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:23 PM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
It is normal. It happened occasionally on my 997.1S since it was brand new off the showroom, and it happened mostly when the engine/transmission was cold when I first drove the car in the morning.

Just release the clutch and depress it again, and it should shift into the 1st at stop without problem.

Usually once the engine/transmission warmed up, the symptom would be gone.

Regards,

Old 12-04-2010, 06:42 PM
dark911 has a spectacular aura aboutdark911 has a spectacular aura aboutdark911 has a spectacular aura about
Do you guys know, the 997 transmission is made in japan!!! Not sure about 997.1 and 997.2 though.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:47 PM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
Do you guys know, the 997 transmission is made in japan!!! Not sure about 997.1 and 997.2 though.
Sure we know. Aisin (a join venture of BorgWarner and Aisin Seiki) supplies the 6-speed manual transmission for the 997's.

Aisin is a major OEM tranmsission supplier, which has been supplying transmissions to many car companies around the world for decades.

Regards,

P.S. The 997 GT3 is still equipped with the Getrag gearbox.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:54 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I did not know that.

And this whole thread has me a little concerned.

(I want the manual, the wife wants the PDK)

Old 12-04-2010, 09:16 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Most cars do that and not only Porsches or 997s. It is a synchro issue and it should not be forced. Just do this:

engage 2nd
back to N
release the clutch
press the clutch
engage 1st

That should do it.

Note: I noticed someone saying 'push harder on clutch and try get into 1st again'. Push harder on the clutch? The clutch must always be fully depressed to change gears. There's no such thing as harder... it MUST always be fully depressed, not just partially depressed. I suspect that a lot of improper shifting is going on out there.

Last edited by adias; 12-04-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:33 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I did not know that.

And this whole thread has me a little concerned.

(I want the manual, the wife wants the PDK)

Misplaced concern. The Aisin tranny is better than the previous 996 Getrag.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:41 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by adias
Misplaced concern. The Aisin tranny is better than the previous 996 Getrag.
But, is it a good transmission? In my case it's a genuine concern to know wether or not we have a good transmission, as I have a Carrera S. Can anyone in this forum illustrate me as to the quality of our Aisin transmissions? Thanks!

Old 12-04-2010, 09:42 PM
997.2 S is a glorious beacon of light997.2 S is a glorious beacon of light997.2 S is a glorious beacon of light997.2 S is a glorious beacon of light997.2 S is a glorious beacon of light
The reason it won't go into 1st gear is because you aren't pushing the clutch all the way down......

Old 12-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by cibergypsy
But, is it a good transmission? In my case it's a genuine concern to know wether or not we have a good transmission, as I have a Carrera S. Can anyone in this forum illustrate me as to the quality of our Aisin transmissions? Thanks!
The Aisin tranny in the 997 is an excellent transmission. That does not mean it is unbreakable. These are not truck transmissions. They are designed for performance with the least mass. No sports cars trannies should be abused. I suspect many silly jocks who do not know better.

Last edited by adias; 12-05-2010 at 11:20 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-04-2010, 10:20 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
I don't think there's any reason for concern - my BMWs used to do this sometimes, but I rarely got caught. I most times go to 1st from 2nd when stopping even if I don't let the clutch out for 1st before stopping.

I always like to be in 1st when I come to a stop; ready to go. In neutral, if something happened - like a rear-ender - the car might roll, assuming you get hit hard enough to lose control of it. In 1st, it won't roll, and you're also ready to go instead of hunting for a gear at the green light.

Someone, a long time ago, when I first learned to shift, told me it was safest to always keep the car in gear. Never could think of a reason not to, so I have always tried to.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:28 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by adias
The Aisin tranny in the 997 is an excellent transmission. That does not mean it is unbreakable. These are not truck transmissions. They are designed for performance with the least mass. No sports cars trannies should be abused. I suspect many are by sllly jocks who do not know better.
My question was not as to its unbreakability but about having a quality high enough to be worthy of the Porsche badge, specially since water-cooled, Carrera based 911s' motors and transmissions have nothing in common with the GTs and Turbos. It was a question about how do they compare to the ones on the other variants but, after reading my own post, I guess the intent of my question wasn't clear.

Of course they shouldn't be expected to be unbreakable or abused. Fortunately for me, I am not one of the silly jocks who don't know better as no transmission on any car I've owned has been damaged by misuse, including the 915 on my '84 Targa which served me well for many tens of thousands of miles.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease by saying that our Aisin transmissions are excellent ones!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can't get into 1st gear at times.