997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Drove my 1st Porsche today... should I buy it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 11:54 PM
Roar is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
My only comment is: I'm not sure what you mean by "starter Porsche". I've heard this term before, and I kind of get it, but I'm not sold on this concept.

Will you elaborate on what you mean by "starter Porsche"? What are your wants and constraints in this matter?

I'm sure it means something different to each person, so to me, my idea of a "starter" Porsche is one that is affordable, that I can drive around and not be paranoid when I drive it in the rain or it gets too dirty, and finally because I had never even driven one before, it will give me an idea of the "marque" if you will. Example... my 1st Mercedes AMG was a pre-owned CLK55A. Loved it but wanted something more & moved into an E55 Wagon (which I still have & love) & then got into an SL55 with performance package. It was a natural progression for me as I learned more about AMG models, features and how they drove.

BTW, I drove a 2010 C4S with PDK yesterday and was VERY impressed with how quickly it shifted & how easy & fun it was to drive. (I have yet to drive a 6MT.) I'm pretty certain if I enjoy whatever Porsche I end up buying as my "starter", a PDK vehicle may very well be my next. (I just need to get the "first" one, first )

Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2010, 12:20 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I'm sure it means something different to each person, so to me, my idea of a "starter" Porsche is one that is affordable, that I can drive around and not be paranoid when I drive it in the rain or it gets too dirty, and finally because I had never even driven one before, it will give me an idea of the "marque" if you will. Example... my 1st Mercedes AMG was a pre-owned CLK55A. Loved it but wanted something more & moved into an E55 Wagon (which I still have & love) & then got into an SL55 with performance package. It was a natural progression for me as I learned more about AMG models, features and how they drove.

BTW, I drove a 2010 C4S with PDK yesterday and was VERY impressed with how quickly it shifted & how easy & fun it was to drive. (I have yet to drive a 6MT.) I'm pretty certain if I enjoy whatever Porsche I end up buying as my "starter", a PDK vehicle may very well be my next. (I just need to get the "first" one, first )
The word Porsche and "affordable" sounds more like an oxymoron . No matter how one rationalizes it --the cars are expensive . Whatever you save in buying the car doesn't rule out how much it costs to replace tires , or a repair, or for insurance .
And if the idea is to start with one and move to another .. the multiple transactions and deprciation can add up to more than if one just dug deep and swung for the bleachers .

It reveals uncertainty .. even those examples with the Mercedes .Perhaps the emotional steps made more sense but had you skipped the CLK55 and bought the current wagon and SL you would be ahead in savings.

My feeling is when one is in doubt .. Don't buy the car . You's still have the savings and that's never bad . However if you love the PDK car why settle for less ?

Old 12-06-2010, 10:53 PM
FASN8N is infamous around these parts
Any pictures of the E55 wagon? I just purchased one and love it!

Old 12-08-2010, 01:20 AM
djlod is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Roar
Thanks. Any idea what I should budget for a new battery & starter harness cable if that's what it is? Also, is this a problem that might have been happening for awhile or is it dumb luck that it happened when I decided to keep the car in my garage instead of returning it until the deal takes place?
I just had my alternator cable / harness replaced.
PM me if you have any questions.