997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

TPMS retrofit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 12:26 AM
solidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud of
TPMS retrofit?

I just bought a nice set of Carrera Sport wheels with factory TPMS sensors installed. But, my car is an 05 without TPMS.

Is there any way I can make use of them? Retrofit kit? Aftermarket compatible?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:44 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by solidst8
I just bought a nice set of Carrera Sport wheels with factory TPMS sensors installed. But, my car is an 05 without TPMS.

Is there any way I can make use of them? Retrofit kit? Aftermarket compatible?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
Major cost if it could even be done. OEM has receiver in each wheel well area plus all the wiring and then computer interface. I believe there are some aftermarket alternatives but probably pretty clunky and they won't use the OEM transmitters in your Sport wheels.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:40 PM
solidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud of
Thanks! It's a shame I can't use 'em.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:20 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
You may be able to get a 3rd party receiver to read the signals from the wheels. I suggest you call TireRack for advice.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Thanks adias for the suggestion, but Tire Rack also said they do not have aftermarket systems that can read the Porsche TPMS signals.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by solidst8
Thanks adias for the suggestion, but Tire Rack also said they do not have aftermarket systems that can read the Porsche TPMS signals.
A good suggestion would be to sell them here, people are always swapping sets for stacking up winter sets so I'm sure someone will give you up to $200 on a used set. Problem is that they contain a sealed battery inside so it's hard to sell and item as such with an unknown expiration date.

You can use that money towards an aftermarket set-up.

-Eli

Old 12-07-2010, 11:43 AM
I actually did consider selling them so they won't go to waste, however, that would mean I'd have to re-mount the tires and balance to take them out, cancelling out any profits I'd make on the sale. BTW, the wheels are from a 2007 car, with plenty of tread left on the tires. I probably won't be changing tires until another 2 years, by then the sensor batteries are probably near drained.