997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

new DD car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:53 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
new DD car

Hi,

I need a new DD... and thinking of new 2011 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR. It seems to have all the perks, but honestly last time I tried a mitsu was ages ago. How does this lancer look inside out? have anybody here tried one?

also, what the heck is its 'automated manual transmission'? those marketing terms are just plain confusing.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:16 AM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
Not bad cars but soulless IMO. I used to race a Ralliart 7 back in the UK, was very quick but ultimately a little boring.

This weekend I just picked up a BMW 135i, it's a great car, I'm extremely impressed. Twin turbo in line 6, 300hp/300ftlb's and a very nice place to be, a lot of fun and it handles amazingly well.

Food for thought

Old 12-08-2010, 09:24 PM
gray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud of
wHY? oUR c2 IS Supposed to be a daily driver.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
Do yourself a favor and give your insurance agent a call first. You might be quite shocked to learn that you'll likely pay *more* for an Evo than you are for the 911. The Evo's are (relative) cheap and overpowered for their size. This makes them popular with the teens and 20 somethings who of course don't have respect for the power or the skills to manage it. Due to this insurance companies charge a "don't feel like price" to insure them and that would be on top of the already high insurance rates that MA is already noted for. You've been advised.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:44 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
2010 Golf TDI (Diesel)

Best DD I have ever bought, I was actually just as happy when I drove off as I was when I bought my Porsche.

50 MPG does not hurt either, standard bluetooth and touchscreen stereo.

Also they can be had for around $20K new

Old 12-08-2010, 10:21 PM
empunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of light
If you are considering the Evo MR, also be sure to check out the STi. I just sold my 06 that I daily drove for 4 years and I loved it. The new models are a lot nicer as they have more creature comforts and improved interior.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:26 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
DD = BMW
135 was already suggested but if size is an issue then a 3 series .If buying the car sounds expensive BMW does have some of the better lease programs.

Under 20K and new (cheap, reliable, worry free) = Honda .

Old 12-09-2010, 01:19 AM
Carbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond repute
The Mitsubishi is quite ugly. The only thing I love about that car is that they always have some of the best front seats in any car on the market, period (other than the fake carbon fiber on the new ones). I haven't driven one. The automated manual is just a wet dual clutch system with paddles similar to that offered by many other manufacturers these days.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:32 AM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
BMW is a great DD

as Dave suggested, I really enjoyed my 3 series for a while. I actually use my C2S as my DD. I test drove an older evo for about 15 mins and it was like an econo box on steroids. I don't think I would want to DD it. I've actually thought about a mini for a DD just because they are so cheap and fun, but I would miss my 911 to much.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:21 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
the current EVO feels really cheap inside out. i was quite surprised to see that because my EVO 8 MR was better than that. don't know what's going on there but seems like they're going backward.

STi would be my choice if u buy. the new one is nice & much nicer than the current EVO.

i agree on BMW is the best DD option. that's if u plan to lease. they have the best lease options & programs, plus the services are all free!

Old 12-09-2010, 08:31 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
I have driven Subarus for years, and anyone who knows the Subaru world knows that the EVO is the arch enemy.

That being said I do not like the EVO and more importantly Mitsubishi. They make a decent product but have had problems in the past with reliability on almost every model. In particular EVOs are well known for being able to make lots of power for cheap but also breaking very easily. Not to mention a lot of EVO owners are pure punks.

On the other side Subarus are rock solid cars. Very reliable and extremely safe in any crash test conditions. Although they cannot make as much power for quite as cheap, they can handle the extra power much easier as their part are better as such is their build quality. Now I know you could probably say that STI/WRX owners are punks but after being in the community for years and listening to people who have go to and from EVOs they all agree that the EVO crowd is worse.

I had an 04 WRX and an 07 STI. The new cars are lite years better inside than either of mine were. I have driven the 08 STI hatch (same from 08-10) and it was far nicer inside than my STI. The 2011 STI sedan looks to be a fantastic car (as I was never a fan of the hatch).

A few people have said BMW but for a DD I am going to suggest something with four wheel drive. From a technical standpoint there are two companies that stand out as having the BEST AWD setups…Audi and Subaru. And for the cost of performance over luxury you cannot beat an STI.

As an example we spend 4k for our cars and get maybe 25 HP. You spend 1500 for an exhaust and a pro-tune and you make 50+ hp and 70+ tq…

Last edited by gloves; 12-09-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:50 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gloves
A few people have said BMW but for a DD I am going to suggest something with four wheel drive. From a technical standpoint there are two companies that stand out as having the BEST AWD setups…Audi and Subaru.
yep, it is exactly what I was thinking too - something 4wd, I am just trying to decide between small sedan and something with tow capacity like VW toureg but honestly i do not see a car trailer in my nerby future so most likely it wil be a small sedan.

STI works. BMW - not so sure, I am tired of them and I do not care of them, too much hype over nothing. Audi is gorgeous but I have a feel they are way overpriced for a DD car.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:09 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by utkinpol
yep, it is exactly what I was thinking too - something 4wd, I am just trying to decide between small sedan and something with tow capacity like VW toureg but honestly i do not see a car trailer in my nerby future so most likely it wil be a small sedan.

STI works. BMW - not so sure, I am tired of them and I do not care of them, too much hype over nothing. Audi is gorgeous but I have a feel they are way overpriced for a DD car.
A new STI will run you in the mid 30s, as will a new A4. Both will be greats cars but the Subaru will never be as lux as the Audi, and the Audi out of the box is quite slow compaired to the STI (6.4 A4 vs. 4.8 STI). The STI will also be far cheap to maintain. Another thought, the STI is not available in an auto setup, as an FYI.

ALSO... The Legacy GT is a great car. Would be a 5.5 to 60 but if my GFs 2007 is any indication on what the STI vs LGT interior is like, it's a great sedan for long hauls and isn't as punishing as the STI (albeit that the new STI are not as harsh as the old ones).

Last edited by gloves; 12-09-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by gloves
Not to mention a lot of EVO owners are pure punks
Gloves,

I wanted to exactly say that in my earlier post in this thread but I just didn't have the *****. Thanks for telling it like it is. Where I used to live in North Jersey the same can be said about most of the BMW 3 series drivers as well. There is so much money up in that neck of the woods that an M3 is a very common high school graduation present. The "poor" kids get the standard 3 series. In both cases this is just WAY too much power for these inexperienced drivers on the extremely complex and congested roadways of this area of the country and it leads to many injuries and deaths. I've often thought that horsepower limits should be set for younger/inexperienced drivers. Just because these wealthy parents can afford to give these very powerful cars to their children doesn't mean they should.

Last edited by Auto_Union; 12-09-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Auto_Union
Gloves,

I wanted to exactly say that in my earlier post in this thread but I just didn't have the *****. Thanks for telling it like it is. Where I used to live in North Jersey the same can be said about most of the BMW 3 series drivers as well. There is so much money up in that neck of the woods that an M3 is a very common high school graduation present. The "poor" kids get the standard 3 series. In both cases this is just WAY too much power for these inexperienced drivers on the extremely complex and congested roadways of this area of the country and it leads to many injuries and deaths. I've often thought that horsepower limits should be set for younger/inexperienced drivers. Just because these wealthy parents can afford to give these very powerful cars to their children doesn't they should.
Off topic but I also think this. And you are right about the insurance rates on EVOs/WRXs/STIs is very high. There are just to many accidents in those cars because young kids get their hands on them and then crash them. It much harder to get into trouble in a base model Imreza than in a STI/EVO. A great idea to limit HP for drivers of a yound age.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: new DD car