997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

mObridge install - quite satisfied

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Boatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to all
mObridge install - quite satisfied

Had the mObridge bluetooth and iPod units installed today along with the XM radio module. BT unit located behind glove box, iPod cable in center armrest and XM & iPod units stacked in CD changer location in frunk. Mic located above rearview mirror. I specified each of these locations based on the collective experience of those on 6speed/Rennlist/Renntech who've BTDT. Thanks!

It's only been a few hours but everything seems to work flawlessly so far, iPhone 4 paired up via bluetooth immediately, iPod & satellite radio work fine and everything sounds as good as the Bose 'high end' system will let it sound. As has been noted many times before, the Porsche PCM isn't the most intuitive for navigating through/among all the interfaces when compared with aftermarket but once you get the hang of using it it's not too bad.

I obviously still need some time to figure out how to use the iPhone camera properly to get better pictures...

Attached Images      

Last edited by Boatsonthebrain; 12-10-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Boatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Boatsonthebrain
Had the mObridge bluetooth and iPod units installed today along with the XM radio module. BT unit located behind glove box, iPod cable in center armrest and XM & iPod units stacked in CD changer location in frunk. Mic located above rearview mirror. I specified all of these locations based on the collective experience of those on 6speed/Rennlist/Renntech who've BTDT. Thanks!

It's only been a few hours but everything seems to work flawlessly so far, iPhone 4 paired up via bluetooth immediately, iPod & satellite radio work fine and everything sounds as good as the Bose 'high end' system will let it sound. As has been noted many times before, the Porsche PCM isn't the most intuitive for navigating through/among all the interfaces when compared with aftermarket but once you get the hang of using it it's not too bad.

I obviously still need some time to figure out how to use the iPhone camera properly to get better pictures...
And one final pic...

Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2010, 06:27 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Nice job! + rep for being a DIYer.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:41 PM
thxbuff2001 is infamous around these parts
Cost

May I ask how much did it cost you all in all, equipment and install? Thanks

Old 12-16-2010, 06:01 AM
Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
May I ask how much did it cost you all in all, equipment and install? Thanks
pm sent

Old 12-22-2010, 09:40 PM
BTW, is the XM module you installed from mObridge also or the Porsche cayenne module?

Ive seen the mobridge XM module for $500 while the cayenne for $700?

Old 12-23-2010, 05:05 AM
The satellite radio unit is the mObridge MOST XM interface (<$800) plus a TERK XM Direct Universal Tuner (~$120).

As some have described previously, the iPod & BT adaptor was for a Mercedes but mObridge provided firmware to the shop that did my install to convert the settings to Porsche. The tech said the conversion was very easy and took only a few minutes. It works great!

Old 12-23-2010, 08:56 PM
jimny is infamous around these parts
Nice job!

Did you have to remove the glove box? Is there instructions some where for glove box removal?

Old 12-24-2010, 02:55 PM
BTW, where did you attach the xm antena if it was installed in the trunk?

Old 01-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
BTW, where did you attach the xm antena if it was installed in the trunk?
The XM antenna was installed under the front black plastic cowl at the base of the windshield. nt's nice that the antenna is out of sight and there have been so far No issues with dropped signals

Old 01-01-2011, 06:36 PM
I installed the mobridge BT-ipod this weekend.
My next project is the XM kit. I would also go with the mobridge unit. Most likely, this would be a summer project.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by jimny
Nice job!

Did you have to remove the glove box? Is there instructions some where for glove box removal?

I had the BT module installed behind the glovebox. As some who have BTDT have suggested I had the shop just remove the plastic trim piece below and behind the glovebox (a few screws) and the BT module fits in the space perfectly. Glovebox removal is apparently a bit of a pain.