997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How many of you have attended the Porsche Driving School?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 01:48 AM
syosh is infamous around these parts
I think ryem3 and I were at the same class. All I have to say is it was awesome. I'm already looking for times to go back.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:00 PM
major c2s has a spectacular aura aboutmajor c2s has a spectacular aura about
I've been to both: AMG challenge at Pocono in 2008 and PSDS in Alabama in 2010. In my opinion, they are both very good but in somewhat different ways. The quality of instruction is better at PSDS. The variety of cars is better at AMG. When I did the AMG school two years ago we took to the track everything from CLK Black to ML63 to CLS63 and everything in between. Frankly, I was most impressed with C63, not so much with SL63. The Barber's Motorsports track is way nicer than Pocono, that is without doubt. They do throw some gifts at you at AMG, something that doesn't happen if you go to PSDS. Overall I'd rate them both very highly, and, disregarding the venue, probably equal.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:23 PM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
Originally Posted by bonehead
Are they still using only Tip TT's?
They were, but that was the last tt class, I'm told. I didn't realize that until I did the school.

That was perhaps the only disappointment, you ended up driving more than 1/2 the time in PDKs (all the C2Ss were PDK), and while that is definitely the faster way around the track, I would have preferred more seat time in 6 speeds, honing my skills. They didn't really give you an option of avoiding the autos.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Majac4122 is infamous around these parts
I haven't been to PSDS but I've been to two BMW driving schools, one of which was the M school. That was trully awesome. I need to free up some time to try out PSDS>

Old 12-16-2010, 08:55 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by xseal
They were, but that was the last tt class, I'm told. I didn't realize that until I did the school.

That was perhaps the only disappointment, you ended up driving more than 1/2 the time in PDKs (all the C2Ss were PDK), and while that is definitely the faster way around the track, I would have preferred more seat time in 6 speeds, honing my skills. They didn't really give you an option of avoiding the autos.
Just to make sure there's no misinformation out there, I was there last week and had plenty of 6 speed seat time. Two groups of C2S's were 6 speed and I spent more than half my time in them and the rest in a C2S PDK and a Caymen S PDK. Frankly, the PDK allows more concentration on the elements of driving fast, from braking to apexing. I had no doubt I was faster and more focused driving the PDKs.

Originally Posted by Majac4122
I haven't been to PSDS but I've been to two BMW driving schools, one of which was the M school. That was trully awesome. I need to free up some time to try out PSDS>
Pass on some color on the BMW school. I'm interested to compare. BTW, the hotel added $500 to the cost of the Porsche school, which is included in the BMW price. I still plan to offer another thread with more details on my PSDS experience.