997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Steering Wheel Squeak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 11:00 AM
wolfnards has a spectacular aura aboutwolfnards has a spectacular aura about
Steering Wheel Squeak

Experiencing an intermittent issue on my 2011 C4 where the steering wheel squeaks slightly when moving it left <-> right. Found similar posts for different cars and wondering if it's the same part number or if anyone else experienced the same?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ak-squeak.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...mn-squeak.html

Old 12-17-2010, 08:26 AM
RyanJ is infamous around these parts
Is it squeaking when you turn it in both directions (all the way)?....or is it more pronounced in one direction?

I thought I had a steering column / squeak/rattle issue (only when turning in 1 direction)..but it turned out to be debris in the suspension. I couldn't see it until the car was put on a lift.

One of my older 911's developed a squeak in the stearing column. It went away after it was dissassembled/reassembled by my mechanic.

Last edited by RyanJ; 12-17-2010 at 08:27 AM. Reason: direction
Old 12-17-2010, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by RyanJ
Is it squeaking when you turn it in both directions (all the way)?....or is it more pronounced in one direction?

I thought I had a steering column / squeak/rattle issue (only when turning in 1 direction)..but it turned out to be debris in the suspension. I couldn't see it until the car was put on a lift.

One of my older 911's developed a squeak in the stearing column. It went away after it was dissassembled/reassembled by my mechanic.
Thanks for the response, RyanJ! Yep - both directions. does not appear to be more pronounced in a particular direction.

Interesting problem wrt the debris issue! I'll bring it up next visit to the dealership. I also noticed that the horn stays depressed half a second longer when honking, as if it is stuck a bit when honking. can't do a quick honk, always lasts at least a second. perhaps that's part of the issue where something is screwed in too tight? i'll send an update after dealership visit. thanks again.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:54 AM
RyanJ is infamous around these parts
Oh..definitely sounds more steering column, not suspension. Good luck.

If the horn is sticking...then there is definitely something screwy (no pun) about how it was assembled.

Originally Posted by wolfnards
Thanks for the response, RyanJ! Yep - both directions. does not appear to be more pronounced in a particular direction.

Interesting problem wrt the debris issue! I'll bring it up next visit to the dealership. I also noticed that the horn stays depressed half a second longer when honking, as if it is stuck a bit when honking. can't do a quick honk, always lasts at least a second. perhaps that's part of the issue where something is screwed in too tight? i'll send an update after dealership visit. thanks again.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:08 AM
20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future
I have this exact same issue, please let me know if you come up with anything, I've heard its the airbag within the steering wheel that moves when the steering wheel moves? Its been kind of stupid, no dealer wants to address the issues because they say its a "normal" noise on a sports car. I have a 2010 Porsche Carrera 4 Cab.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by RyanJ
Oh..definitely sounds more steering column, not suspension. Good luck.

If the horn is sticking...then there is definitely something screwy (no pun) about how it was assembled.
Thanks again, RyanJ. I'll look into it, although it seems like another forum member has the same issue (post above)...

Old 12-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by 20-C4-10
I have this exact same issue, please let me know if you come up with anything, I've heard its the airbag within the steering wheel that moves when the steering wheel moves? Its been kind of stupid, no dealer wants to address the issues because they say its a "normal" noise on a sports car. I have a 2010 Porsche Carrera 4 Cab.
now that's interesting. ok i will bring it to the dealership next week. thanks for the feedback. these forums are great. glad to know i'm not the only one, and hopefully i can get some traaction from my dealer so you can get this addressed by yours. Curious - do you also get the horn stick?

Old 12-20-2010, 12:41 AM
DoctorWill is infamous around these parts
Interesting, I just noticed that in the last couple of weeks as well...

Old 12-20-2010, 04:53 AM
marcus550 is infamous around these parts
My 2006 C4S has also developed a steering column noise when cold. I swear it is coming from inside the center of the dashboard, but likely from the column itself. It seems to go away when warmed up. Not annoying enough to take the column apart (yet). LOVE to know a shortcut if we share the same cause.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by marcus550
My 2006 C4S has also developed a steering column noise when cold. I swear it is coming from inside the center of the dashboard, but likely from the column itself. It seems to go away when warmed up. Not annoying enough to take the column apart (yet). LOVE to know a shortcut if we share the same cause.
DoctorWill/Marcus - do you happen to notice if the horn is a bit "sticky", i.e. if you press the horn, it honks a little longer after you let go? i'm curious if the two symptoms I have are related.

Looks like i won't get to the dealer for another few weeks, so if there are any updates from anyone else, please let us know.

Old 10-15-2022, 12:28 AM
Aston powers is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 20-C4-10
steering wheel squeak. It’s probably the air bag squib. Jag part as usual. EBay about £13