997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Sports Cats Falling Apart or CELs??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 10:49 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Sports Cats Falling Apart or CELs??

I'm considering adding AWE sports cats to my setup, primarily to amplify the exhaust sound, but also for the performance boost. I just spoke with one of the most reputable aftermarket mod dealers (who sells my ECU tune) to ask if the ECU should be re-tuned after adding the sports cats (he said no). What is troubling, though, is that he also said that he doesn't selll any sports cats because they throw CELs and fail over time -- he cited two examples from a few years ago where he had to repair sports cats that "fell apart." This shop sells nearly every other performance mod but the sports cats, and has a strong rep on this board, so I ask...

HAS ANYONE HAD BAD EXPERIENCES WITH AWE CATS (or other sports cats) IN TERMS OF EITHER CELs, THEIR FALLLING APART, OR ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD BE AWARE OF?

I've read the past threads on CEL problems with the AWEs, but its hard to tell if those were due to installation errors. I'd hate to install them and start dealing with headaches, especially if there are other less troublesome routes to take -- e.g., headers, intake. I was surprised to hear the negative feedback, given the general enthusiasm for the sports cats in this forum. Thanks.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:08 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
yes, I have had both CEL and a rattle coming from my AWE Cats. I tried a few things to get rid of the CEL, and in the end the Softronic Flash got rid of them by changing the parameters of air flow from the first to second O2 sensor.

The rattle is just something I am living with for now. I plan to redo my exhaust in the spring.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:53 PM
leneuromancer has a spectacular aura aboutleneuromancer has a spectacular aura about
FWIW, I have over 40K miles on the equivalent FabSpeed cats without issue

Old 12-22-2010, 01:13 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
I have had my AWE 200 cell cats on my car for about 7,000 miles. I haven't had any issues yet and I bought them used on this forum. I don't have a rattle or anything at all and I'm very picky. I had them professionally installed, so maybe that is one reason for my positive experience.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:44 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by KonaKai
I'm considering adding AWE sports cats to my setup, primarily to amplify the exhaust sound, but also for the performance boost. I just spoke with one of the most reputable aftermarket mod dealers (who sells my ECU tune) to ask if the ECU should be re-tuned after adding the sports cats (he said no). What is troubling, though, is that he also said that he doesn't selll any sports cats because they throw CELs and fail over time -- he cited two examples from a few years ago where he had to repair sports cats that "fell apart." This shop sells nearly every other performance mod but the sports cats, and has a strong rep on this board, so I ask...

HAS ANYONE HAD BAD EXPERIENCES WITH AWE CATS (or other sports cats) IN TERMS OF EITHER CELs, THEIR FALLLING APART, OR ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD BE AWARE OF?

I've read the past threads on CEL problems with the AWEs, but its hard to tell if those were due to installation errors. I'd hate to install them and start dealing with headaches, especially if there are other less troublesome routes to take -- e.g., headers, intake. I was surprised to hear the negative feedback, given the general enthusiasm for the sports cats in this forum. Thanks.
i have fabspeed x-pipe - no rattle, no cels, not prior to softronic ECU flash nor after it.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Checkout the Fabspeed ones... We do alot of those. If you put anytime of high flow cat on your car, it may trigger a CEL. Softronic raises the O2 limits so you will not have any CEL from this.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Boatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to allBoatsonthebrain is a name known to all
I just had AWE 200s professionally installed. They at least look really nice! No rattles or CELs though not many miles on them (yet).

Attached Images    
Old 12-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
AWE's are terrific. I've had no issues whatsoever, and I'm running forced induction, too. I wouldn't go with Fabspeed, or anyone else, AWE is tops in my book.
CATTMAN

Old 12-22-2010, 03:45 PM
DCI
DCI is infamous around these parts
I have the AWE cats and the X51 headers, no issues after 2 years. I have not heard of that many issues out there...go for it!

Old 12-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
It's no secret that we had some problems with our first generation of cat sections made years ago. At that time the HJS cats we use now were not available. We were initially using the best cat that we could find.

The new HJS units are the norm and used by mostly all of the better aftermarket exhaust manufacturers. If you want to know what kind of cat you have from AWE, look for a stamping that says HJS. If it says it, you are in the clear and have the good stuff.

Also, if your car is in good health and the rear O2 sensors are in good shape then no special software is needed to keep the CEL off. These cats will pass an OBD2 sniff test.

Now, what we have seen are cars that have running problems, certain questionable modifications, or software that cause the car to run rich. Over time an overly rich running condition will cause any cat to break apart and fail. We cannot be held responsible for that and would deny a warranty claim if we got a cat back for inspection and it wreaked of gas. Trust me...it's happened.

Also, even a set of stock cats can fail prematurely on cars that are used very often at the track. Extended high EGT's can do some damge!

If you have a first generation set of cat sections, and they have failed, please contact me directly. While I can't comp a new set of HJS cats sections, we can certainly offer you an incentive on a new set to make sure you are a happy AWE client.

Hope that clears the air.

Happy Holidays to All!

Old 12-22-2010, 04:11 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan
yes, I have had both CEL and a rattle coming from my AWE Cats. I tried a few things to get rid of the CEL, and in the end the Softronic Flash got rid of them by changing the parameters of air flow from the first to second O2 sensor.

The rattle is just something I am living with for now. I plan to redo my exhaust in the spring.
Did you ever reach out to me?

I would have like to have tried to help.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:13 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mike/AWE
It's no secret that we had some problems with our first generation of cat sections made years ago. At that time the HJS cats we use now were not available. We were initially using the best cat that we could find.

The new HJS units are the norm and used by mostly all of the better aftermarket exhaust manufacturers. If you want to know what kind of cat you have from AWE, look for a stamping that says HJS. If it says it, you are in the clear and have the good stuff.

Also, if your car is in good health and the rear O2 sensors are in good shape then no special software is needed to keep the CEL off. These cats will pass an OBD2 sniff test.

Now, what we have seen are cars that have running problems, certain questionable modifications, or software that cause the car to run rich. Over time an overly rich running condition will cause any cat to break apart and fail. We cannot be held responsible for that and would deny a warranty claim if we got a cat back for inspection and it wreaked of gas. Trust me...it's happened.

Also, even a set of stock cats can fail prematurely on cars that are used very often at the track. Extended high EGT's can do some damge!

If you have a first generation set of cat sections, and they have failed, please contact me directly. While I can't comp a new set of HJS cats sections, we can certainly offer you an incentive on a new set to make sure you are a happy AWE client.

Hope that clears the air.

Happy Holidays to All!
Mike,

I do have the first gen cats, and I do track a lot. I have also killed a one of my PSE mufflers. Not bad for 24,000 miles!

Old 12-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Mike,

I do have the first gen cats, and I do track a lot. I have also killed a one of my PSE mufflers. Not bad for 24,000 miles!
Dayum! That's impressive.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:18 PM
jbauza is infamous around these parts
I had the AWE headers, sport cats and mufflers 6 mo. ago, as well as flashing the ECU at the same time without any issue. This is my daily drive.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Mike/AWE
Did you ever reach out to me?

I would have like to have tried to help.
Yes, I bought them 2nd hand and I was told that the warranty wasn't transferable.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sports Cats Falling Apart or CELs??