997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New changes in PCM 3.0 for iPhone with iOS 4.2.1 firmware

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 10:43 PM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
New changes in PCM 3.0 for iPhone with iOS 4.2.1 firmware

I just noticed tonight that the new iOS 4.2.1 firmware for iPhone 4 now supports "inband ringing" or transfer of ringtone via Bluetooth. What this means is that the ringtone in your iPhone will ring the same in the PCM 3.0. If probably affects other versions of iPhone, too, but I can't verify that.

In previous iOS versions, I was able to choose a ringtone in the PCM (by going into the Ringtone Settings menu), and set the ringtone volume accordingly. But starting with the iOS 4.2.1 firmware, that's no longer possible because of the inband ringing. The Ringtone Settings menu in the PCM is actually grayed out and you cannot choose your ringtone in PCM.

At first, I thought there was something wrong with my PCM because I didn't hear the usual ringtone when someone called. But it all clears up on page 60 in the PCM 3.0 manual.

According to the manual, if a Bluetooth cell phone supports inband ringing, the Ringtone Settings in PCM menu will be grayed out and the ringtone must be setup on the cell phone. The cool thing about this is that if you setup a special ringtone for a contact, when you get a call from that same contact, the same ringtone will ring on your car's speakers.

Does anybody else notice the same thing?

Old 12-23-2010, 11:54 AM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
I got the same issue but my PCM do not play any ring tone (from the PCM or from the phone) with the lame-o iphone 4. My old blackberry pearl worked perfectly...
On the iphone itself I could not find an option to "send" the ring tone, neither at the PCM.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:21 PM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by John McLane
I got the same issue but my PCM do not play any ring tone (from the PCM or from the phone) with the lame-o iphone 4. My old blackberry pearl worked perfectly...
On the iphone itself I could not find an option to "send" the ring tone, neither at the PCM.
You should check and make sure the Ringtone Volume (in the PCM menu) is set at 10 or 11 (max). I couldn't hear my phone ringtone until I found out it was too low (7 or 8). The other way to set it is when you get a call, do not pick up the call yet, but adjust the volume button until you can hear the ringtone.

Now, go to your iPhone and pick a contact, then assign a ringtone to that contact. Get in your car and ask that contact to call you on your iPhone (make sure your iPhone is paired to PCM first). You should hear the ringtone on your PCM when that contact calls you.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:45 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Thanks, will try that

rep 4 u

Old 12-29-2010, 02:49 PM
The Ge Man is infamous around these parts
Hi

i have just picked up my new to me 997 c2s pdk car today but im trying to get my iPhone 4 connected via bluetooth and but get a SAP unavaliable message, the PCM is software version 1.4, iPhone is 4.2.1

hoping someone has an idea what's wrong,

Cheers

Old 12-29-2010, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by The Ge Man
Hi

i have just picked up my new to me 997 c2s pdk car today but im trying to get my iPhone 4 connected via bluetooth and but get a SAP unavaliable message, the PCM is software version 1.4, iPhone is 4.2.1

hoping someone has an idea what's wrong,

Cheers
Make sure Bluetooth is enabled in your iPhone and PCM. Then have the PCM search for a bluetooth phone, and keep your iPhone close by. The last 2 times I tried to pair my iPhone 4 with PCM, it didn't ask for a passcodde. But when I did it with iOS 4.2.1, PCM asked for a 4-digit passcode. If PCM asks you to enter a password, select any 4-digit code and enter the same code on your iPhone. It should pair.