997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Should I add an IPD Plenum?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 02:44 PM
DÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant future
Agreed about not expecting too much on the back end. It all becomes a balance in the selection of mods. As has oft been said, ur first mod is the most productive. I do disagree that one should not expect much increase out of nat asp engines. True it won't be as much as turbo mods, but gains are def palpable and more importantly measurable

Old 12-24-2010, 02:48 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Put it this way: after much research, the IPD plenum is one of just a few mods I'm planning (including a good flash tune) when I get my P-car. Admittedly, I have no experience with the IPD yet. But those who are not in favor of it aren't deterring me from it (and many of those don't have it or have not tried it); OTOH, other responses are extremely favorable. Again, the Y laminar airflow imho is much more advantageous than OEM's design. Talk about "crude OEM parts"- the OEM plenum is yet another example. (not to mention, it's plastic)

Some may say you could spend that same $$ better on the car; I believe you could do far worse with that same amt of $$ (if not more $$) on your P-car.

There was a certain tuner that recently did just a small handful of judicious mods to a 997.2 C2S, and that engine's HP was in GT3 territory. As well-dialed as the DFI engines are from the factory, there still is some performance to extract from them.

In all this, I can't see the IPD plenum being nothing but a plus.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 12-24-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:53 PM
DÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant future
Agreed

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone

There was a certain tuner that recently did just a small handful of judicious mods to a 997.2 C2S, and that engine's HP was in GT3 territory.

In all this, I can't see the IPD plenum being nothing but a plus.
That's my car...

Old 12-24-2010, 07:31 PM
terrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the rough
I got the IPD plenum and the dyno showed about 13hp gain at the wheels immediately after installation.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:22 AM
911bobby is a splendid one to behold911bobby is a splendid one to behold911bobby is a splendid one to behold911bobby is a splendid one to behold911bobby is a splendid one to behold911bobby is a splendid one to behold911bobby is a splendid one to behold
I say definitely get it!! The very first mod I did was the plenum n it really does give it a much better throttle response!!! My Porsche mechanic of 25 years in Porsche experience recommend it to me n it definitely made a difference!! My car was a stock 997S n it was kinda boring until that mod. I know every one has their preferences but the plenum does make a difference in the throttle response n u will definitely feel the difference!!

Old 12-25-2010, 01:39 AM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
One more thing I'd offer: if you look at the relative cost vs purchase price of a brand-new P-car, let's say the car's original MSRP was $109k, that IPD plenum is only @ 1% of what that car was valued.

We see many folks spending $5k or more for wheels & tires on a $40k car. In contrast, for a P-car, the price of that IPD plenum is very reasonable, relatively speaking.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 12-25-2010 at 04:36 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:46 AM
911bobby is a splendid one to behold911bobby is a splendid one to behold911bobby is a splendid one to behold911bobby is a splendid one to behold911bobby is a splendid one to behold911bobby is a splendid one to behold911bobby is a splendid one to behold
1BlinkGone u really nailed it with ur comment!!! Ppl if you play then u will have to pay!!!! Ur driving a 100K car n the plenum is less than 1% of the cost of a Pcar!!

Old 12-25-2010, 03:34 AM
exponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
the OEM plenum is yet another example. (not to mention, it's plastic)
Plastic is better insulator than aluminum. So they are better material to produce plenum than aluminum

Old 12-25-2010, 08:29 AM
eathvy is infamous around these parts
The plenum was the last mod I did on my car. It truely made a difference. It brought all my mods together and the car feels incredible! It is a must have. No problem keeping up with my friends Bentley Continental Supersport ( A 620hp monster that does 0-60 in 3.7sec and tops out at 204 mph) !

Old 12-25-2010, 08:59 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by zzzspeed
I have a C2S 2009 with PDK, Tubi exhaust(center muffler delete), softronic ecu tune, fabspeed CAI.
I did these about 3 months apart from each other in that order. I felt the CAI the most, maybe because it was the last mod and it all came together.

Is it worth it to get a IPD plenum in addition? And why?
i would put it this way - it will definitely not make anything worse.
as if it will make anything better - it is a big 'if'. i got it, but not sure if it really improved much. to put it in is not such big of a job, so, if you want it - get it.

put in proper BMC filter panel, it really will make more sense.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:42 AM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
i would put it this way - it will definitely not make anything worse.
as if it will make anything better - it is a big 'if'. i got it, but not sure if it really improved much. to put it in is not such big of a job, so, if you want it - get it.

put in proper BMC filter panel, it really will make more sense.
I did have the bmc filters when I got my tubi exhaust but 6 months later when I got the Fabspeed CAI the BMC filters were taken out as they dont fit with the new intake. The Fabspeed intake is obviously much more noticable sound and pull with acceleration. Love it. I was really hoping it would be my last Mod. But this damn forum keeps putting ideas in my head.
I want to try this mod for sure after all the feedback.
Thanks GUYS....But now
Not sure if I want to put it first on my 2011 CTT or on the 997.2.
The CTT will be getting bypass pipes next week and in a few months will get the EVOMSit flash. So not sure if the IPD plenum will be a noticeable addition to those mods for the CTT.
Sorry for my confusion!

Old 12-25-2010, 04:27 PM
Actually thermal properties of al better than cho

Originally Posted by exponential
Plastic is better insulator than aluminum. So they are better material to produce plenum than aluminum
Plastic has diff thermal mass properties. Your plastic plenum retains heat, as u said it's a better insulator, as a result u have mega heat soak issues. By contrast not only does the y provide for laminar (less turbulence) flow resulting in higher pressure load of air for combustion, but the thermal mass of al allows for rapid temp redistribution resulting in less heal soak

Don't believe me? How many formula one engines are made of high impact plastic? Me thinks most are composed of machined alloys and cf

Old 12-25-2010, 05:07 PM
mod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura about
you know you're going to do it anyways.. lol will you notice 10 hp?

Old 12-25-2010, 05:58 PM
exponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by DÜnkleblau S
Plastic has diff thermal mass properties. Your plastic plenum retains heat, as u said it's a better insulator, as a result u have mega heat soak issues. By contrast not only does the y provide for laminar (less turbulence) flow resulting in higher pressure load of air for combustion, but the thermal mass of al allows for rapid temp redistribution resulting in less heal soak

Don't believe me? How many formula one engines are made of high impact plastic? Me thinks most are composed of machined alloys and cf
I believe most F1 plenum are made of carbon fiber

Old 12-25-2010, 06:02 PM
CF is not ABS plastic

Originally Posted by exponential
I believe most F1 plenum are made of carbon fiber
But NOT high impact cheap ABS plastic.
The OEM is a piece of junk - also the X51 powerkit changes the plenum to aluminum.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I add an IPD Plenum?