997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Should I add an IPD Plenum?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 07:35 PM
exponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by DÜnkleblau S
But NOT high impact cheap ABS plastic.
The OEM is a piece of junk - also the X51 powerkit changes the plenum to aluminum.
That's more "marketing reason". When they want that money, they need to give you what look valuable. But that does not mean aluminum property is better than plastic for plenum.

I agree that shape of plenum mean a lot but "plastic is a better material to produce plenum than aluminum"

Last edited by exponential; 12-25-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:44 AM
stv951 is a jewel in the roughstv951 is a jewel in the roughstv951 is a jewel in the rough
I agree that shape of plenum mean a lot but "plastic is a better material to produce plenum than aluminum"[/QUOTE]

Its also much cheaper to produce

Old 12-27-2010, 10:59 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by zzzspeed
I did have the bmc filters when I got my tubi exhaust but 6 months later when I got the Fabspeed CAI the BMC filters were taken out as they dont fit with the new intake. The Fabspeed intake is obviously much more noticable sound and pull with acceleration. Love it. I was really hoping it would be my last Mod. But this damn forum keeps putting ideas in my head.
I want to try this mod for sure after all the feedback.
Thanks GUYS....But now
Not sure if I want to put it first on my 2011 CTT or on the 997.2.
The CTT will be getting bypass pipes next week and in a few months will get the EVOMSit flash. So not sure if the IPD plenum will be a noticeable addition to those mods for the CTT.
Sorry for my confusion!
dont`t bother with any intake mods if you still have stock exhaust as it is way more serious restrictor than stock plenum.

any intake mods will make best difference if you remove all restrictions on the exhaust side first - cats/mufflers (if 'S' car then also headers), then intake mods (filter, plenum and optionally x51 true CAF intake) then ECU flash to utilize all gains from improved airflow.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Banned
IPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan
+1 Do a search and you will find some data to support this.
Season’s Greetings Gentlemen,

As much as I wanted to jump into this thread early on, I decided to stick with our usual approach and let our thousands of satisfied customers and dealers express their opinions of how well their IPD Plenums perform.

NorthVan, where have you been? I can’t believe our #1 hater has waited so long to make more disparaging posts regarding the IPD Plenums. I was beginning to worry about you. We should send you a commission check because every time you jump on your hater’s soap box our sales inevitably increase.

We get it!!! You REALLY don’t like / believe in the IPD product. I’m just confused as to why you continue your crusade to condemn the Plenums, especially considering the fact that you have no “personal” experience with the Plenum and have never even installed one on your own car. Maybe you have us confused with someone who committed some unspeakable acts of atrocity against you or your family. Or maybe, just maybe, you’re in bed with another Porsche tuner who doesn’t like us because they violated our Plenum patent. Regardless, for every IPD hater there are hundreds of happy IPD customers who praise the Plenum as well as our integrity as a company.

And for every negative post regarding the IPD Plenums there are hundreds more claiming the exact opposite. The fact is, the IPD Plenums are the single best bolt on performance modification you can possibly install on a late model Porsche, stock or modded (1999 to Current). The IPD Plenums don’t make slight power gains, they develop substantial power gains in each and every application we offer. The IPD Plenum is even more impressive when you consider the dollar per horsepower return on your investment.

Even after the questionable shenanigans involved with NorthVan’s favorite post we conducted an “Independent and Open to the Public” IPD Plenum dyno test session day that “openly” tested 5 Porsches (Cayman S, 996, 997, 997S and a 996 EVOMS SC just for giggles). After all the dust settled, each and every IPD Plenum application delivered substantial power and torque gains as claimed (Cayman S 14 WHP, 996 23 WHP, 997 24 WHP, 997S 28 WHP and a 996 EVOMS SC just for giggles 44 WHP). To my knowledge no other tuner or manufacturer has even put there neck, product or reputation under guillotine like this before, especially in a public forum.

The IPD Plenums have earned their performance reputation and established themselves in the Porsche after-market industry as one of the absolute best performance parts available for Porsches since 2004. They are installed at virtually all the leading Porsche tuning shops around the world, 20% of all IPD Plenums are sold through Porsche dealerships and the top premier Porsche tuners of Germany are all big distributors of the IPD Plenum. Call me crazy, bit if you can sell the discerning Germans a USA made product to install on their German Porsches you have to be doing something right in my opinion.

If we’ve said it once, we’ve said it a million times. If you are not COMPLETELY satisfied with the performance gains developed with any IPD Plenum PLEASE return the product for a 100% money back guarantee. If you have any further questions please drop us an e-mail, PM or check out our brand new website. Our new website provides even more insight behind to the IPD product line, power gains and Plenum develoment.

Happy Holidays from IPD

IPD Greg
www.ipdplenums.com
714-842-5000

Last edited by IPD Greg; 12-27-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:03 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
dont`t bother with any intake mods if you still have stock exhaust as it is way more serious restrictor than stock plenum.

any intake mods will make best difference if you remove all restrictions on the exhaust side first - cats/mufflers (if 'S' car then also headers), then intake mods (filter, plenum and optionally x51 true CAF intake) then ECU flash to utilize all gains from improved airflow.
Not interested in doing headers or a different CAI, its a lease so dont want to go overboard with mods. If you look at my sig or my previous posts you will see that my car is an S and already has many of these mods you are mentioning.
What I want to know is if adding the IPD plenum would be a worthy mod?

Old 12-27-2010, 01:14 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Wow, Greg! I can sense your frustation with North; but I don't think I would have called him out the way you did. IMHO, let your product speak for itself. You obviously have the data to support your claims. As a sponsor and someone that stands behind your product, you should have taken the high road.

A little disappointed.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:34 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by zzzspeed
Not interested in doing headers or a different CAI, its a lease so dont want to go overboard with mods. If you look at my sig or my previous posts you will see that my car is an S and already has many of these mods you are mentioning.
What I want to know is if adding the IPD plenum would be a worthy mod?
again, it depends of what you call 'worthy'.

i believe my car got more stable idle and low rpm pull after o got plenum on. try to do a proper test yourself with your car - run a dyno test after fresh ECU reset with stock plenum, install plenum, reset ECU again and run dyno test again and decide is it worthy or not.

as of my opinion, again, it did not make anything worse in my car, it is a well designed part, i like how it looks and i THINK it does what it is advertized for. i have no proof if it really does it or not but i am not really interested to break any spears about this.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:37 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Thanks for the replies!

Old 12-27-2010, 03:17 PM
MSCHWA3439 is infamous around these parts
ditto

Old 12-27-2010, 03:44 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by IPD Greg
NorthVan, where have you been? I can’t believe our #1 hater has waited so long to make more disparaging posts regarding the IPD Plenums. I was beginning to worry about you. We should send you a commission check because every time you jump on your hater’s soap box our sales inevitably increase.

We get it!!! You REALLY don’t like / believe in the IPD product. I’m just confused as to why you continue your crusade to condemn the Plenums, especially considering the fact that you have no “personal” experience with the Plenum and have never even installed one on your own car. Maybe you have us confused with someone who committed some unspeakable acts of atrocity against you or your family. Or maybe, just maybe, you’re in bed with another Porsche tuner who doesn’t like us because they violated our Plenum patent. Regardless, for every IPD hater there are hundreds of happy IPD customers who praise the Plenum as well as our integrity as a company.
This is an opinion thread - zzzspeed asked for opinions about the IPD plenum...every member is entitled to leave positive or negative feedback without being chastised.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rum-rules.html

Respect Your Fellow Member
6speed allows all members to participate in a enthusiastic forum. As such, please post and comment respectfully to fellow members. This applies to both vendor/sponsors and members alike. We invite and encourage a healthy exchange of opinions; disagreements are okay. While you may challenge another member's position with a dissenting opinion, name-calling, insults, "flaming" and attacks are not appropriate and will not be tolerated. Post commentary respectfully...harassing, offensive, vulgar, abusive, hateful or bashing communications, especially those aimed at sexual orientation, gender, race, color, religious or political views, national origin, or disability, will not be permitted. Such actions will be sanctioned by the moderators.

Although the administrators and moderators will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. Please report any posts that violate forum rules. 6speed administrators and moderators reserve the right to remove or edit any post that does not relate to the topic being discussed or is considered inappropriate on the board or are deemed to violate applicable law or that may be harmful to other members .

The following will result in a permanent ban with no exceptions.

* Abuse or disruption of our services.
* The impersonation of 6speed staff.
* Non sponsoring advertising of third party services or websites

bob

Last edited by bbywu; 12-27-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Banned
IPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lacrosse
Wow, Greg! I can sense your frustation with North; but I don't think I would have called him out the way you did. IMHO, let your product speak for itself. You obviously have the data to support your claims. As a sponsor and someone that stands behind your product, you should have taken the high road.

A little disappointed.
La Crosse,

I appreciate your perspective but I am honestly more humored by NorthVan's posts than frustrated. Although NorthVan has always been an IPD opponent. I find it nothing short of humorous that he continues his on-going crusade against IPD with such a vengeance.

My post was typed with a constant smile and lots of laughter. I always have, and always will, take the proverbial high road, any board members who knows me can attest to that fact. I just like to do with a sense of humor.

The IPD product, company and individuals reputations do speak for themselves, but once in a while we need to defend our position in the market place. When unqualified and unprovoked attacks continue against our product line as well as us as individuals I believe it warrants a defensive post.

I believe that forums are a great tool to keep vendors honest, the caliber of product quality high and performance claims validated. A forum “should” be able weed out unethical companies and prevent any sub-standard products from gaining any traction in the marketplace. I believe a few thousand satisfied customers and years of dedicated design and development with Porsche intake systems make us a little more than a fly-by-night company selling smoke and mirrors.

I apologize if my words are construed as any kind of an attack. I’m simply poking fun at a situation that has persisted for years with no shortage of fuel for his fire. Once again my apologies to anyone who finds my posts on the “low road” and not on the higher and more intended humorous route.

Cheers,
IPD Greg
www.ipdplenums.com
714-842-5000

Old 12-27-2010, 07:50 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
FWIW, I read your response as reasonable and rational, not an attack. In our very PC world people get rattled by saying what they think and defending their work by bringing data to an otherwise uninformed argument.
Finally, it's up to the readers to determine where truth lies. Because the internet enables all to engage in a discussion, it doesn't necessarily ensure the truth will be properly promoted.

Originally Posted by 911bobby
I say definitely get it!! The very first mod I did was the plenum n it really does give it a much better throttle response!!! My Porsche mechanic of 25 years in Porsche experience recommend it to me n it definitely made a difference!! My car was a stock 997S n it was kinda boring until that mod. I know every one has their preferences but the plenum does make a difference in the throttle response n u will definitely feel the difference!!
Originally Posted by IPD Greg
La Crosse,

I appreciate your perspective but I am honestly more humored by NorthVan's posts than frustrated. Although NorthVan has always been an IPD opponent. I find it nothing short of humorous that he continues his on-going crusade against IPD with such a vengeance.

My post was typed with a constant smile and lots of laughter. I always have, and always will, take the proverbial high road, any board members who knows me can attest to that fact. I just like to do with a sense of humor.

The IPD product, company and individuals reputations do speak for themselves, but once in a while we need to defend our position in the market place. When unqualified and unprovoked attacks continue against our product line as well as us as individuals I believe it warrants a defensive post.

I believe that forums are a great tool to keep vendors honest, the caliber of product quality high and performance claims validated. A forum “should” be able weed out unethical companies and prevent any sub-standard products from gaining any traction in the marketplace. I believe a few thousand satisfied customers and years of dedicated design and development with Porsche intake systems make us a little more than a fly-by-night company selling smoke and mirrors.

I apologize if my words are construed as any kind of an attack. I’m simply poking fun at a situation that has persisted for years with no shortage of fuel for his fire. Once again my apologies to anyone who finds my posts on the “low road” and not on the higher and more intended humorous route.

Cheers,
IPD Greg
www.ipdplenums.com
714-842-5000

Old 12-27-2010, 07:51 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Greg,

Thanks for responding. I have to tell you I am strongly considering your plenum. It comes highly recommended from the shop I use for my mods. The only question is timing. Not sure if I should do it before or after the high flow cats and x pipes.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:52 AM
Gator Skin is infamous around these parts
Great. Just Great. Thanks for nothing guys. I just posted a few weeks ago that I was done modding my car. Completely done. Now you got me seriously thinking about adding a new plenum. The wifes gonna be real happy if I reneg on being done getting under the car in the garage til the wee hours of the morning.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:17 AM
Recalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really nice
Cheers,
IPD Greg
www.ipdplenums.com
714-842-5000[/quote]

Hey Greg,

Just wondering if you've dynoed a car adding ONLY the IPD Plenum. I am very interested in the product. Just curious as many are, if the IPD is the first, last or somewhere in between mod. Thanks a lot! Looks like you've got a nice product line.

Jerry

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I add an IPD Plenum?