997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Should I add an IPD Plenum?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:27 AM
DÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant future
Some dyno results and IPD Greg is a good guy

First, Greg is a major stand up guy - he is passionate about what he does and BBI is awesome. So for someone, who has never personally experienced any of the modifications in the discussion to opine is all well and good, but somewhat "pinheadish." The idea here was to give real world experience with the product, that is what the OP wanted.

Here are my dyno results again:

Baseline was 352 at the wheels with Fabspeed CAI (go ahead complain about that one too), AWE center delete - that's all

The first dyno shows with the IPD plenum put in after the first dyno pulls for baseline - 363 WHP with improved torque throughout.

The last shows the GIAC (okay, complain about ECU mods too) showing a grand total of 375 WHP which with a conservative drivetrain loss of about 14% approximately 435 CRANK HP. That is a stock GT3. AND BELIEVE ME, the car drives with that kind of powerplant!

It certainly does not have the weight differential or loss of creature comforts in a daily driver like a GT3, but with further JUDICIAL weight changes - wheels and rotors for one (on thursday she gets a set of RG5 monolite's), and next week some damptronic coilovers and sways. You can have a crazy performing DAILY DRIVING race car.

Bottomline, IPD makes good stuff; If you can't or won't bother to understand physics, you have no business opining about the characteristics of naturally aspirated internal combustion engines (As an anesthesiologist I have an intense interest in laminar versus turbulent flow for a number of very important physiologic reasons - the analogy to engines is, pardon the pun, natural).

Attached Images  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
dyno1002.pdf (344.9 KB, 67 views)
Old 12-28-2010, 11:51 AM
jacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nice
IPD Plenum / dyno results

Good post; attached PDF of dyno provides objective evidence of incremental HP gain, and solid improvement in torque.

Considering the cost of the IPD plenum unit versus retooling to a GTS, the rational answer has to be, "Why not?".

I'm in (and think of the sales tax I'll save by not buying a new 997).

Old 12-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Banned
IPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Recalcitrant
Cheers,
IPD Greg
www.ipdplenums.com
714-842-5000
Hey Greg,

Just wondering if you've dynoed a car adding ONLY the IPD Plenum. I am very interested in the product. Just curious as many are, if the IPD is the first, last or somewhere in between mod. Thanks a lot! Looks like you've got a nice product line.

Jerry[/quote]

All of our initial testing is conducted with completely bone stock cars. That is the only way to evaluate our Plenums before we make them available to the public. After we test 2 to 3 different "bone stock" cars to establish accurate and average power gains we then test the same plenum on modded cars from mild to wild. There are ALWAYS power gains in either scenario.

Obviously we strongly believe that the first mod should ALWAYS be an IPD Plenum. Not just because of the substantial power gains achieved (24-28 WHP with a 997.1) but because you are replacing an inferior design ("T" style)with an improved more efficient "Y" design. Essentially you're achieving power through efficiency.

I believe you should always start with the strongest mods first. The IPD Plenums works great on both bone stock cars and fully modded cars. 24-28 WHP on a 997.1 for under $900 is the best value for Porsche performance that I know of. One of the many ways Porsche has controlled engine output over the years is by restricting their intake systems. The Plenums and our kits that utilize larger Porsche throttle bodies help to tap into that unleashed power.

Thanks for the kind words. I hope everyone is enjoying their holiday season.

Cheers,
IPD Greg

Last edited by IPD Greg; 12-28-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Recalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really nice
Thanks for the response. When I'm ready to start modding, I will do this first. I'll put it on the dyno and send you my results. Thanks again.

Jerry

Old 12-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Majac4122 is infamous around these parts
Greg, I saw no problem with your defense of your product. You should defend it everytime someone makes comments without factual evidence.

Dunk, thanks for the great addition to the thread.

Damn....zzzz I hope you're not going to cause me to go bonkers to catch up to your mods....might wife maybe complaining to yours soon enough.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:04 AM
911 Molar is infamous around these parts
Smile

Originally Posted by DÜnkleblau S
That's my car...
List of mods please.
Looking at doing some mods myself. Car OEM at present.
997.2 DFI C2S PDK PSE PASM -20mm LSD Paddle shift steering wheel carrera sport wheels with 305/30 on rear

Old 01-02-2011, 07:22 AM
jacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nice
911 Molar - I started off with Fabspeed Maxflo Dual Tone exhaust, X Pipe, EVOMS flash and Fabspeed high flow (hesitate to state "cold air") intake; about $5,500 all in and very satisafied with results. Next step is to upgrade brake lines to stainless and change out fluid (will replace OEM pads when time) to offset improved acceleration. I am going to do the IPD Plenum and, more importantly (and expensively) the final drive ratio, to somewhere between 3.8:1 and 4.0:1 - the end result will be GT3/GTS performance at a much more rational price point (<$15,000 all in). Good math in my view. Have fun.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:47 AM
DÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant future
In answer to your question

Originally Posted by 911 Molar
List of mods please.
Looking at doing some mods myself. Car OEM at present.
997.2 DFI C2S PDK PSE PASM -20mm LSD Paddle shift steering wheel carrera sport wheels with 305/30 on rear
From air intake to exhaust:
Fabspeed CAI
IPD Plenum
ECU - GIAC flashloader
AWE center muffler delete

Suspension mods
Pending damptronics and HR swaybars
Now have new RG5 Monolites

Transmission mods
Porsche OEM SS
considering flywheel in future

Very quick car - can't wait to see what it feels like with the coiloevers and sway bars - I hope I can get the understeer minimized with this set up.

Good luck on your mods

Old 01-02-2011, 11:57 AM
MichaelL is infamous around these partsMichaelL is infamous around these parts
I have been satisfied with the IPD plenum on my 997.1 2S. It was installed on top of EVO intake, GIAC reflash & complete AWE exhaust. Good boost in mid range torque & power. The apparent gains were greater than when the reflash was done on the intake & exhaust mods.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:43 PM
eathvy is infamous around these parts
First, Greg is a major stand up guy - he is passionate about what he does and BBI is awesome. So for someone, who has never personally experienced any of the modifications in the discussion to opine is all well and good, but somewhat "pinheadish." The idea here was to give real world experience with the product, that is what the OP wanted.

Here are my dyno results again:

Baseline was 352 at the wheels with Fabspeed CAI (go ahead complain about that one too), AWE center delete - that's all

The first dyno shows with the IPD plenum put in after the first dyno pulls for baseline - 363 WHP with improved torque throughout.

The last shows the GIAC (okay, complain about ECU mods too) showing a grand total of 375 WHP which with a conservative drivetrain loss of about 14% approximately 435 CRANK HP. That is a stock GT3. AND BELIEVE ME, the car drives with that kind of powerplant!

It certainly does not have the weight differential or loss of creature comforts in a daily driver like a GT3, but with further JUDICIAL weight changes - wheels and rotors for one (on thursday she gets a set of RG5 monolite's), and next week some damptronic coilovers and sways. You can have a crazy performing DAILY DRIVING race car.

Bottomline, IPD makes good stuff; If you can't or won't bother to understand physics, you have no business opining about the characteristics of naturally aspirated internal combustion engines (As an anesthesiologist I have an intense interest in laminar versus turbulent flow for a number of very important physiologic reasons - the analogy to engines is, pardon the pun, natural).
I have similar mods and more. The IPD plenum brought everything together. The car feels and sounds incredible. It is a must have for anyone interested in modifying these types of cars without going to forced induction. I have no problem keeping up with a stock 997.1 turbo up to 120mph.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by jacques1960
911 Molar - I started off with Fabspeed Maxflo Dual Tone exhaust, X Pipe, EVOMS flash and Fabspeed high flow (hesitate to state "cold air") intake; about $5,500 all in and very satisafied with results. Next step is to upgrade brake lines to stainless and change out fluid (will replace OEM pads when time) to offset improved acceleration. I am going to do the IPD Plenum and, more importantly (and expensively) the final drive ratio, to somewhere between 3.8:1 and 4.0:1 - the end result will be GT3/GTS performance at a much more rational price point (<$15,000 all in). Good math in my view. Have fun.
Nice mods.
As I have the PSE, I will keep the secondary mufflers.
I am thinking of 200 cell sports cats and X pipe with stock tips.
fabspeed CAI and DnA remap.

OEM headers ? I am thinking of leaving these.
Have you FVD Brombachers exhaust for the 997.2 C2S ?
Thats a beautiful bit of kit.
www.fvd.de

What is the final rear gear ratio on the 911 CS2 997.2 PDK ?

Thanks heaps for your information.
This site is the best for porsche.
Molar

Old 01-03-2011, 11:46 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
The Dyno that's on the IPD website for the Cayman S is my car. I took my car in, we put her on the dyno, got a baseline. I stood by and watched Mike put in the Plenum, we re-dyno'd the car and she made 14 peak hp more. Same day, car never came off the dyno. The IPD plenum makes power, I saw it first hand. This isn't "butt" dyno, but real horse power. For a normally aspirated car, in my case at the time a stock Cayman S, it was a significant difference. Obviously, can't compare to a turbo car, which makes much more, but for Caymans, you have to fight and claw for every hp you can get. Just my personal experience.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:43 AM
911 Molar

I have not addressed headers - from a cost / benefit perspective, it does not seem justified (if I have to drop the engine for some other reason, then will consider).

Stock final drive ratio is 3.44:1, any changes are linear, i.e., a 10% increase to 3.78:1 shortens the top end RPM in each gear by 10%, but improves acceleration 10%. Quick way to "add" 40 hp.

Fuel economy is adversely affected, by an approximately similarly linear amount, so this may not be a good mod if you do a lot of long distance driving; this said, it offers the most bang for the buck, beyond any doubt.

Some good threads on this board in this matter.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:57 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by jacques1960
I have not addressed headers - from a cost / benefit perspective, it does not seem justified (if I have to drop the engine for some other reason, then will consider).

Stock final drive ratio is 3.44:1, any changes are linear, i.e., a 10% increase to 3.78:1 shortens the top end RPM in each gear by 10%, but improves acceleration 10%. Quick way to "add" 40 hp.

Fuel economy is adversely affected, by an approximately similarly linear amount, so this may not be a good mod if you do a lot of long distance driving; this said, it offers the most bang for the buck, beyond any doubt.

Some good threads on this board in this matter.
I don't believe you have to drop the engine for this.
sports headers / cats IMHO yield significant improvement as long as engine mapping is optimised.
I am wondering if you can leave OEM headers and get an X pipe with sports cats that will attach to the headers ?
4.11 gears would be phenomenal on the car. Has anyone changed the final ratio....
Molar

Old 01-04-2011, 05:41 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
just call Bryan from RSS to hook u up..

pretty easy install.

if u don't like the Plenum, he'll prob give ur money back..

what else can u ask for?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I add an IPD Plenum?