997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Dealer said they flushed brake fluid without removing wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 09:01 AM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
Dealer said they flushed brake fluid without removing wheels

I took my 997.2 in for a low-mileage, one-year service + brake flush. The dealer performed the oil change, reset the service reminder (which was showing due in 2 days), and flushed the brake fluid. As I was waiting in the lounge, the service advisor came to me to inform that they didn't have to remove the wheels to flush the fluid. For those interested, I bought my 997.2 a year ago, but the car had sat at the dealer for almost a year so I decided to flush the fluid while I am at it.

He stated that they could flush the fluid from the brake lines running under the body hence no need to remove the wheels.

Is this true? Is it even possible?

Old 12-24-2010, 09:55 AM
xXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond reputexXxGhotimanxXx has a reputation beyond repute
That's how they did mine.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:23 AM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
Yes. It's possible.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:32 PM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TooSixy
I took my 997.2 in for a low-mileage, one-year service + brake flush. The dealer performed the oil change, reset the service reminder (which was showing due in 2 days), and flushed the brake fluid. As I was waiting in the lounge, the service advisor came to me to inform that they didn't have to remove the wheels to flush the fluid. For those interested, I bought my 997.2 a year ago, but the car had sat at the dealer for almost a year so I decided to flush the fluid while I am at it.

He stated that they could flush the fluid from the brake lines running under the body hence no need to remove the wheels.

Is this true? Is it even possible?
A true flush means the fluid must come out of the calipers, or basically end-of-the line for each. They would have needed to access the caps on each one, farthest to nearest. (But thats just standard op for a flush)

Old 12-24-2010, 01:28 PM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
I flushed my toilet the other day and I didn't have to remove the wheels... As far as I know there is only one way to do it.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:18 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
IMHO, and this is from years of experience in the auto industry, I would not consider it a true and total flush unless the calipers were as well. To me, that is like dropping the pan on a A/T and leaving dirty fluid in the torque convertor. Kinda like showering and then putting on dirty underwear.

I would want ALL the brake fluid flushed, period. ESPECIALLY in the calipers.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:42 AM
avmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to all
That's how I did mine. But with my wheels, it's pretty easy...

Old 12-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Mertin is infamous around these parts
Brake LINES?! Who messes with brake lines!? Maybe the service advisor needs more education.

Depends on your wheels, doesn't it? If they have lots of room to access the caliper bleed screws between the spokes there's no reason to remove them, AFAIK.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:57 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mertin
Brake LINES?! Who messes with brake lines!? Maybe the service advisor needs more education.

Depends on your wheels, doesn't it? If they have lots of room to access the caliper bleed screws between the spokes there's no reason to remove them, AFAIK.
Exactly. There is no way to bleed the system without doing it through the calipers. There are no fittings on the brake lines otherwise, to me it sounds like the service manager didn't really know exactly what he was talking about, which is not unusual. Also no need to remove the wheels if it has a 5 spoke or like setup that has plenty of room to get to the bleeder screw. The procedure is specifically laid out in the work shop manuals.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:17 AM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
I wouldn't consider it a thorough flush unless it was done at the calipers (BTW, did mine yesterday (On Christmas) to get out of the house! --- very easy procedure with using the Motive bleeder)

Old 12-26-2010, 10:43 AM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
agree^

Old 12-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911cv
I wouldn't consider it a thorough flush unless it was done at the calipers (BTW, did mine yesterday (On Christmas) to get out of the house! --- very easy procedure with using the Motive bleeder)
How did you bleed the ABS circuit?

Old 12-26-2010, 12:58 PM
mod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura about
if it's not a warranty issue find an independent shop, not only will you save a grip of cash, you'll get better service. just my input. i took my car for a cat issue and they re-flashed my car back to stock. lucky my flash is embedded in the ecu and i have a remote to upload it

Old 12-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Diablo79 is infamous around these parts
+1

BULL**** dealers sometimes....You CAN "flush" fluid from the reservoir, but the TRUE way to bleed your system is by flushing it from EACH of the two bleeder valves in each caliper (total 8)

Originally Posted by KaamaCat
A true flush means the fluid must come out of the calipers, or basically end-of-the line for each. They would have needed to access the caps on each one, farthest to nearest. (But thats just standard op for a flush)

Old 12-27-2010, 07:37 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Johnny DB
How did you bleed the ABS circuit?
Dealer gave me a line about an ABS Circuit. I've never heard of ABS with brake fluid. Aren't they elecrontic circuits? Although you could bleed with out removing the wheels, it doesn't seem likely. Dealer wanted to charge $350 for the $100 job because of e "circuit"! Anyone have the skinny?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer said they flushed brake fluid without removing wheels