997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Loose Steering after KWv3 Coilovers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 07:16 PM
heyitzalex is infamous around these parts
Loose Steering after KWv3 Coilovers

This question is for the suspension gurus. I just recently got some KWv3s installed. Compression and rebound settings are out-of-the-box, but the I lowered the car much more. The suspension rides nice, but the steering is loose (a lot of the medium size bumps "shakes" the steering wheel).

The car handled fine with no loose steering whatsoever with the oem PASM suspension.

I have not gotten an alignment yet also; I plan on aligning and corner balancing the car, but I don't think an alignment can fully resolve loose steering.

I contacted KW North America and they suggested that I stiffen up just the compression settings 2 to 3 clicks, while leaving the rebound alone. This is what I was originally planning on doing, but before I do that, is there anything else I should look at?

Old 01-01-2011, 07:23 AM
johnstoy is infamous around these parts
I have the KWv3s on my car and do not have any of the "loose" steering issue you mention. (Can you add some detail as to what you describe as loose / shaking steering wheel?)
I don't believe increasing the compression setting will change that effect - unless I am misunderstanding your description. I actually have my compression and rebound set softer than out-of-the-box (which is just the middle setting) due to the very rough roads here.

My guess is that it is very related to the amount you lowered your car (your alignment will be WAY off) - I kept mine at the higher setting (still lower than stock - mine is at "ROW" height now) and was surprised at how much adjustment was required during the alignment to bring everything back to correct angles.

If you dropped your car significantly you may even need to replace some suspension arms with adjustable ones to get the geometry back to the intended alignment.

The only other question to ask is: how experienced were the people who replaced your suspension? Did they rebuild the top "hats" correctly before installing the KWs?
Assuming they knew what they were doing I'd get your alignment done ASAP and see what you think then.

John

Last edited by johnstoy; 01-01-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:09 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
You need an alignment. After you solve the rattles depending on how low you want to keep it and how much negative camber you want you may need: adjustable drop links, adjustable rear toe links possibly GT3 LCAs. However, with reasonable camber and ride height you most likely wouldn't need the extra parts.

At this point a combination of a good alignment and confirmation of correct installation is your best friend.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:12 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Get an alignment...your current alignment is way way way off now that you installed shocks and lowered.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:42 AM
Thanks guys, yes, I do have an alignment set up for this week with the local alignment guru Darrin @ Westend here in Socal. Hopefully, the alignment solves the loose steering.

When I say "loose" steering, I'm referring to the bumps/certain dips in the road that causes the steering wheel to shake. The steering doesn't feel as tight as it used to. Again, I haven't gotten an alignment yet; I just wanted to see if there was anything else I should look into. The install was done by a trained professional, so I do not doubt the installation.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:51 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by heyitzalex
Thanks guys, yes, I do have an alignment set up for this week with the local alignment guru Darrin @ Westend here in Socal. Hopefully, the alignment solves the loose steering.

When I say "loose" steering, I'm referring to the bumps/certain dips in the road that causes the steering wheel to shake. The steering doesn't feel as tight as it used to. Again, I haven't gotten an alignment yet; I just wanted to see if there was anything else I should look into. The install was done by a trained professional, so I do not doubt the installation.
if you still have stock hubs you should not have lowered your car more than ROW hight as control arms will not be at optimal angle if car went lower. consult with good pro shop regarding your suspension adjustment, let them check it and adjust riding hight and corner balance as needed.
you may also need steer bump arms depending of how low car was set.

it is extremely odd to hear that you got new shocks installed but did not get alignment and corner balance done.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:27 AM
eatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mdrums
Get an alignment...your current alignment is way way way off now that you installed shocks and lowered.
Exactly! I had done this also, and no problems ever since. Can't say much about the rattling, we have crappy roads over here so its a common thing. Enjoy your new KW V3 and good luck!

Old 01-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Wow, just got the alignment done at Westend Alignment in Gardena. Darrin suggested I bring the car in without any additional parts. He got the toe back to spec, with the camber at 1.5front 2 rear.

I guess the toe was way off, which caused the car to feel as if it were loose. Car drives great now. It's pretty amazing how sensitive these cars are to toe settings.