997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

advice please :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 10:17 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
In case you haven't noticed this is a Porsche forum and part of his original post referenced wanting to buy a Gt3 as a future goal . Many (including myself) did address selling the Porsche as well as some of the changes he would face in the short term .

I guess we gave a "rat's ***".
.. but not a lab rat in need of cosmetic surgery.
I did notice. For the third time read post 19. You are the one guilty of offering unsolicited career advice. In case you didn't notice, OP is already in med school. As for suggesting underwater robotics over medicine as a career choice, yeah don't quit your day job to be a guidance counselor.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:42 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Wow. Lots of vitriol being spewed by both sides.

To the OP, once you become a doctor, I suggest you get a law degree, pass the bar and continue to drive a Porsche. Then EVERYONE will hate you.

^ Said with tongue planted firmly in cheek. Hey, is there a cure for that? No? Who can I sue?

Old 01-07-2011, 01:52 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by surfah
I did notice. For the third time read post 19. You are the one guilty of offering unsolicited career advice. In case you didn't notice, OP is already in med school. As for suggesting underwater robotics over medicine as a career choice, yeah don't quit your day job to be a guidance counselor.
Whether it's manufacturing sales , engineering, or partnership there is a great demand in the field . http://www.marketwatch.com/story/gul...ics-2010-06-01

The companies on that list are winning but there are so many more .
It's not cheap either . http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fmc...or-116-million

You can't honestly think a dermatologist can compete. (comparing top of the game in both fields) . Not even close.

2) I am glad that you find just about everything in medicine rewarding and take such pleasure in criticizing law and robotics without raising even one positive point. You also reference those who disagree as "haters" . That's quite revealing.
I feel you picked a great specialty . Keep working. You rock!!!

3) Look at the thread title . I did offer to introduce him to anyone I know in the field who might help him pursue his dream of medicine .
Have you?

Last edited by yrralis1; 01-07-2011 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:48 AM
ksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to all
Hey Dave, this is all so funny. Bet you didn't think it would get to 5 pages. This thread may go on as long as Matts. So, has your original question been answered?

Old 01-07-2011, 08:07 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Dave -
The legal field governs medicine. Who do you think runs the show ? The doctors ?
who runs the show...

i have much better career idea - to buy a coin operated laundromat! that is where the gold field is.

longer i live less I beleive in any purpose of working in any industry, manufacturing or service all the same. as more and more jobs getting washed out of here and more and more people getting desperate and unemployed - it is not going to end up nicely.

now they say to raise limit of a national debt again or go default, it is one sad joke.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Hawkeye1 is infamous around these parts
Whether it's manufacturing sales , engineering, or partnership there is a great demand in the field . http://www.marketwatch.com/story/gul...ics-2010-06-01

The companies on that list are winning but there are so many more .
It's not cheap either . http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fmc...or-116-million

You can't honestly think a dermatologist can compete. (comparing top of the game in both fields) . Not even close.

2) I am glad that you find just about everything in medicine rewarding and take such pleasure in criticizing law and robotics without raising even one positive point. You also reference those who disagree as "haters" . That's quite revealing.
I feel you picked a great specialty . Keep working. You rock!!!

3) Look at the thread title . I did offer to introduce him to anyone I know in the field who might help him pursue his dream of medicine .
Have you?
I know I'm beating a dead horse here but, I think the main reason people are so vocal about your advice is that it isn't the safe or practical choice when choosing a new profession. Yes, the owners of the robotics companies may do well, but 1) there are very few of those out there, and 2) the average "grunt" engineer is bound to make far less than a physician (if we're talking about career compensation, not job satisfaction). The probability that one will be successfull in medicine (especially after one has been accepted to med school) is significantly greater than if you try your hand at sales, marketing, engineering, etc. That said, the other side of the coin is that when you compare top of the field doctors vs entrepreneurs, I'm pretty sure the docs aren't going to be the ones with private yachts, beachfront homes and brand new cars in their driveway. It's just that if you happen to be average or "bottom" of your field, at least doctors will still make a comfortable living, whereas if a bad business person is hurtin' for certain. Just my .02. People in this forum need to chill out sometimes.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
The legal field governs medicine. Who do you think runs the show ? The doctors ?
When someone is dying from a serious disease or injury, you think he gives a rat *** about the lawyers running the show? His doctors always run the show, his lawyers can manage his Will when he dies.

Back to Dave. Yeah, keep the Porsche if you are financially sound.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:42 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hawkeye1
I know I'm beating a dead horse here but, I think the main reason people are so vocal about your advice is that it isn't the safe or practical choice when choosing a new profession. Yes, the owners of the robotics companies may do well, but 1) there are very few of those out there, and 2) the average "grunt" engineer is bound to make far less than a physician (if we're talking about career compensation, not job satisfaction). The probability that one will be successfull in medicine (especially after one has been accepted to med school) is significantly greater than if you try your hand at sales, marketing, engineering, etc. That said, the other side of the coin is that when you compare top of the field doctors vs entrepreneurs, I'm pretty sure the docs aren't going to be the ones with private yachts, beachfront homes and brand new cars in their driveway. It's just that if you happen to be average or "bottom" of your field, at least doctors will still make a comfortable living, whereas if a bad business person is hurtin' for certain. Just my .02. People in this forum need to chill out sometimes.
Maybe you ought to learn more about this particular robotics field before assigning "probability" .

Also consider that it takes about 6 years to graduate medicine plus the expenses for housing (he owns a home ) food, necessities , (plus he married ) and where both of these careers will be at that time.

Just the finances alone to fund all aspects of his little adventure is high enough to begin asking how long it will take in the medical field to break even , how old both he and his wife wil be at that time , and in my opinion it begs the questiion .. did he miss the boat ?

Either way .. in either field --the Op is starting at square one .
That's what was so surpriing to many after having aquired the assets which took them a long time and why selling the porsche even matters .

Old 01-07-2011, 03:48 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hawkeye1
Couldn't have written it better myself. The current mantra is that gaining acceptance into medical school is the rate limiting step in one's pursuit of a career in medicine. He is also fixated on monetary return as a measure of professional success when as I mentioned in detail in my earlier posts, it's the intangible, nonmaterial rewards of practicing medicine that make this job special for me.

Back to the car topic, I knew he really had no clue about physicians when he said that the established physicians at his swim club weren't into Porsche. FYI, Porsche is the de facto brand for physicians in my town, 911 the "weapon" of choice. Christ, the dealership could have offered Continuing Medical Education credit at the last event they hosted there were so many of us there.

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
When someone is dying from a serious disease or injury, you think he gives a rat *** about the lawyers running the show? His doctors always run the show, his lawyers can manage his Will when he dies.

Yes and yes.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Targa Tim

You bet those medical parties care because if a DNR dispute doesn't jive with a hospital /insurance/ medical group profit margin protocol (ie Terri Schiavo case) then not only the attorneys are going to make the decsions .. but so does the courts.

The sick patient ..well .. he or she can't even speak for himself.

We agree on the porsche though.

Last edited by yrralis1; 01-08-2011 at 03:56 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:27 PM
DÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant future
Can someone please close this thread. It is useless and way way off topic.
Thanks

Old 01-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by DÜnkleblau S
Can someone please close this thread. It is useless and way way off topic.
Thanks

I agree .

Old 01-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
The sick patient ..well .. he or she can't even speak for himself.
Larry, you're a genius, you win.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:24 PM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ksbenz
Hey Dave, this is all so funny. Bet you didn't think it would get to 5 pages. This thread may go on as long as Matts. So, has your original question been answered?
No I really had no idea it would go this long, it's been quite entertaining and interesting actually .

Personally I don't want this thread closed, a good forum discussion doesn't have to stick rigidly to the topic, it branches. This thread has been both entertaining and very enlightening actually and I would request that it remains open and the discussion continue.

Of course, no-one's likely to change my mind on becoming a doctor, I'm set firmly on that path now but I'm always open to suggestions that I may have missed!

I think one of the things that's been touched on already that's really key here is that as a doctor, there's fulfillment to be had through the job itself and most specialties earn a very good salary indeed and very soon after you start working.

I suppose what's probably surprised a few of you is the fact that you feel I'm "starting over". I don't see it that way; in all honesty, I achieved and have done more in the first 20 years of my life than 99.9% of the population would ever get the chance to experience. I realized earlier than most that there's a lot more to be had from life than just material things and an easy lifestyle. I want to be able to get up every day knowing that I'm doing something I love, something that gives back and at the same time keeps my family secure. Of course, I'm not complaining if a GT3 ends up in my garage but hey, that's a few years off yet.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by DaveHutchinson
I realized earlier than most that there's a lot more to be had from life than just material things and an easy lifestyle. I want to be able to get up every day knowing that I'm doing something I love, something that gives back and at the same time keeps my family secure. Of course, I'm not complaining if a GT3 ends up in my garage but hey, that's a few years off yet.
Dave, I love your attitude. You will make a good doctor.

Took me 16 years after my MD degree to get my GT3RS. I'm sure you can beat that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: advice please :)