997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

OEM vs non-OEM Mods for Resale

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:29 AM
jimny is infamous around these parts
OEM vs non-OEM Mods for Resale

Hey all,

I am wondering what everyone's opinion or plan of action is for Mods and selling the car. The general belief is that mods are worthless and you might as well take them off and sell them separately right before you are going to sell the car. Would you feel the same way as OEM mods? Do you think that OEM mods actually adds to resale or do you think it is pretty worthless too...

How about dealer vs private party sales? I think most dealer only care for OEM mods and even then I am not sure how much value they will include in the trade-in.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:46 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
based on all the impressions i've read in this forum, i plan on taking my aftermarket mods off before selling.

personally i would pay up A BIT for a used p-car with OEM mods (such as PSE) whether from dealer or private party. I spoke to my dealer about it and he said he would give me so little that my advice is to you is just get the mods you want and sell them before trade-in if necessary. If you look at the past marketplace postings, you'll see that the good stuff (AWE Cats, X51 Headers, etc.) do pretty well on resale.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:52 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jimny
Hey all,

I am wondering what everyone's opinion or plan of action is for Mods and selling the car. The general belief is that mods are worthless and you might as well take them off and sell them separately right before you are going to sell the car. Would you feel the same way as OEM mods? Do you think that OEM mods actually adds to resale or do you think it is pretty worthless too...

How about dealer vs private party sales? I think most dealer only care for OEM mods and even then I am not sure how much value they will include in the trade-in.
A dealer will give little or no value to mods on a purchase but will turn around and use the mods as a positive when selling. The cost of mods is usually recoverable at 50% or less...just enjoy them and don't worry about resale.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:59 AM
MaoMao is infamous around these parts
your modification will probably depreciate at the same rate, or maybe even faster rate than the car itself, how can any mods increase the resale value?

Old 01-04-2011, 09:03 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Most aftermarket mods carry little or no value unless you find the right buyer that is wanting them.

As for OEM mods and options, it seems as if things like PCCB, full leather, PSE, etc add very little to the value of a used car, perhaps 10-15% of the original value.

There are a lot of cars for sale, and people are in a hurry to move them when they think it is time to sell.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:12 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Most aftermarket mods carry little or no value unless you find the right buyer that is wanting them.
yes but let's not be too pessimistic -- those people wanting the mods are likely on 6speed, right?

Old 01-04-2011, 09:33 AM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
In my experience, it all depends on the mods - OEM or otherwise -- and of course the buyer.

I sold a 650HP highly modded 2009 turbo and got about 50% of the mod purchase price.

Also, for example, I have an OEM turbo wing that I have on my 997.2. The car is for sale and the wing comes with it. I think the wing will help differentiate the car. It may take longer to find a buyer who wants the wing, but when I find that buyer, it will improve the selling price of my car because they'll know how much it would cost them to reproduce that.

For a prospective buyer on my car who does not care about the wing either way, they would not pay more than if the car had the stock deck lid.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:01 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KonaKai
yes but let's not be too pessimistic -- those people wanting the mods are likely on 6speed, right?
Not really, I find too many people on this and other forums get tainted by things like 1 over rev on a DME scan, the car has been tracked, or a body panel has been repainted due to a minor scratch. The mods put on a car tend to mean that a person is abusing there car, and that it should carry a lower value. There are very few people that would buy my car on this forum, as the DME scan would be enough for people to run, yet a buddy and I had a discussion last night about how long I would have my car, and I said that too many people would view my car as abused, and he disagreed and felt that it was been used to what Porsche had designed to to be used for.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:16 AM
i agree 100% with that. i think we're just talking about different things. like many others, i would not buy a heavily modded pcar for fear that it has been tracked, driven too hard, etc. (yes, i realize the hypocrisy!).

what i meant was that the mods themselves, if taken off the car and posted in the marketplace, seem to do pretty well. from what i've seen here on 6speed, it's not at all unusual for good exhausts, headers, cats, plenums, etc. to fetch 50% or more of the retail price. not a bad deal for the original buyer considering he got to enjoy the mods for a while first.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:22 AM
i agree 100% with that. i think we're just talking about different things. like many others, i would not buy a heavily modded pcar for fear that it has been tracked, driven too hard, etc. (yes, i realize the hypocrisy!).

what i meant was that the mods themselves, if taken off the car and posted in the marketplace, seem to do pretty well. from what i've seen here on 6speed, it's not at all unusual for good exhausts, headers, cats, plenums, etc. to fetch 50% or more of the retail price. not a bad deal for the original buyer considering he got to enjoy the mods for a while first.
It is the better route IMO. I have all of my OEM parts sitting in my crawl space waiting until the day that they need to go back on.

Buying a used Porsche, one should fear that low milage ones, these cars are meant to be driven, and if they aren't then the problems start. Buying one that has been tracked wouldn't bother me.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:03 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
I would think that it would depend on how you decide to dispose of the car: trade-in or private sale.

No value for mods on a trade-in. Pull them off and either keep them for your next Porsche or sell them. For a sale to a private buyer, the mods may be the thing that makes the sale, assuing they are the popular mods and do not compromise the dependability of the car. A good quality exhaust system or a tasteful set of aftermarket wheels may be just what the potential buyer was planning to do anyway. I would think that a body kit would be a little harder to pass along and could be a deal-breaker, other than a quality GT-3 type conversion which seems to be universally liked, and accepted.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:06 PM
jimny is infamous around these parts

I agree, the marketplace seems to have healthy traffic and appetite for quality mods. I was thinking also regarding OEM vs Non-OEM for when parting out. But like you said, seems like a % of cost would be a most accurate estimate. I do think OEM mods might be easier to sell since more people are less "afraid" of them.

I am not worried at all, just trying to stir a discussion on a slow week after new years. I love my mods but sometimes feel it might be easier to justify buying them if I also know I can sell them for something rather than being worthless!

The tracking part is a tough issue. I do agree these cars should be driven and I would also be worried about a super low mileage car. However, tracking does induce more wear on certain parts but if one is trading it in I think it makes no difference to the dealer if you track it.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:33 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
I specced my car with a great many options and, though I don't expect those options to fetch me a much higher price, I do hope they help me move my car faster, as buyers might be enticed to buy it over a similar condition car less equipped. The only mod my car has, and it is OEM, is the full Carrera X51 Powerkit. Now, I don't expect my car to be worth $16,990 more than a similarly equipped car that doesn't have the Powerkit but I do expect it to sell at a higher price - maybe $3000 to $5000 more. My rationale is that most people immediately spend at least that much in aftermarket mods like intakes, exhausts, reflashes, plena with no real guarantees of gains whereas my Powerkit gives you a real 381hp and 306 ft.lbs of torque.

Last edited by cibergypsy; 01-04-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I ended up removing the mods from my 09 Cayman S before I traded it. A potential buyer was concerned about why I had moded the car and wanted to sell it in one year. As a result that deal did not come together. Now a bit of irony. That same individual purchased my car from the dealer I traded it to without knowing it was the same car. He paid more than my asking price and did not receive the GT2 Sport Buckets, custom TC Klein roll bar, paddle shift wheel or adjustable toe links.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:34 AM
jastx is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Alan C.
I ended up removing the mods from my 09 Cayman S before I traded it. A potential buyer was concerned about why I had moded the car and wanted to sell it in one year. As a result that deal did not come together. Now a bit of irony. That same individual purchased my car from the dealer I traded it to without knowing it was the same car. He paid more than my asking price and did not receive the GT2 Sport Buckets, custom TC Klein roll bar, paddle shift wheel or adjustable toe links.
Now THAT's FUNNY!!