997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Self Dimming Mirrors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:45 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by adias
Because there are customers who do not want that.
Ding, Ding, Ding....We have a winner

Old 01-05-2011, 11:50 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by EricP
Maybe, but I find it funny that the GT2 RS cars have a sticker hood emblem rather than the metal shield plaque that all other 911's have. They do it to save 2 grams of weight.

..what is odd is that the 12 or so GT2's I've seen delivered have leather dash...so a sticker hood emblem but 6lbs of cows hide stretched over the dash. Interesting. I know the hide is an option, but there are other places to shave off 2 grams of weight. Maybe by not dying the headliner

Sometimes "weight saving" measures are simply marketing to build "this car is for racing" frenzy. And sometimes not giving us dimming mirrors is for nickel and diming us. Who knows.
I would agree that ordering full leather in any of the GT cars (GT3, GT3RS, GT2, GT2RS) is odd to me (almost as odd as seeing ads for used ones that say never been tracked), as it seems like they are going in the wrong direction from the intended purpose of these cars, but Porsche is a profit driven company that will pretty much give the customer anything they want as long as they are willing to pay for it.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:02 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jabed92694
Hi all,

So the car I just purchased, a 2007 C4S cab, did not come with the self dimming mirrors as a factory option unfortunately. I don't understand why someone would order such a car without but hey, everyone has their priorities. So I called Porsche service today and found out I cannot get the OEM one installed after the fact. So my question is, is there any good aftermarket options that are self dimming that also has the compass in it? Are they reasonably priced? What is a good option?

Thanks,
Jon
In response to your actual question I saw post on the Rennlist forum indicating that a self dimming mirror can be retrofit into a modern Porsche. The entire self dimming otion would be another story given the side mirror wiring needed and such. But, the rear view mirror shouldn't be that big an issue so long as you stay with a Porsche OEM mirror mount. I believe Suncoast can get you a self diming rear view mirror or can buy one used from several of the Porsche salvage yards on line. Install shouldn't be that complex as their is power available from the dome lights in the windshield header. I have also seen a mirror by **** at autoanything.com that is self dimming and has the compass and temp and uses the cam lock mounting system that Porsche uses. I would double check with the seller to confirm it will work with the newer 997 cars but there appear to be options available. Not cheap but then nothing for a Porsche is cheap.

Last edited by Dadio; 01-05-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:43 PM
jabed92694 is infamous around these parts
Thanks. Looks like this is gonna be a big deal to do. I thought there might be a good aftermarket option but doesn't sound like it. Weight is not even a concern so not sure why that came up. It should be a simple after the fact option Porsche should offer and I imagine if it was easy to do and just connect power to the dome light, they would already offer it for profit opportunity. But bottom line looks like a costly install according to my dealer. So I guess it's not an easy install as some think.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:56 PM
jabed92694 is infamous around these parts
Ok just had a discussion with the head service guy at Porsche service and told him my predicament. I asked him if I could buy the rear view only self dimming mirror and connect it to the dome light to power it and replace mine. He told me that if you connect any additional power to the dome light, it would trigger faults in the system with the addition draw on the voltage. So basically the sled dimming rear view would need it's own power line which is why it's not feasible because it would require major rewiring and if not ordered from the factory, you are basically screwed. So I guess for all of us without it, we are SOL

Old 01-05-2011, 02:14 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Ok just had a discussion with the head service guy at Porsche service and told him my predicament. I asked him if I could buy the rear view only self dimming mirror and connect it to the dome light to power it and replace mine. He told me that if you connect any additional power to the dome light, it would trigger faults in the system with the addition draw on the voltage. So basically the sled dimming rear view would need it's own power line which is why it's not feasible because it would require major rewiring and if not ordered from the factory, you are basically screwed. So I guess for all of us without it, we are SOL
gosh, justy drop a new wire from breakers box upto the dome area.
just buy the part and either install it yourself or visit any local mechanic.

>would trigger faults in the system with the addition draw on the voltage

I think it is a total BS btw.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:49 PM
chbj is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by adias
Because there are customers who do not want that.
+1. Had self dimming mirrors in my previous car and absolutely hated them, especially since you couldn't turn the feature off. I like to see what's behind me and I rarely feel blinded by lights.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:11 PM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by chbj
+1. Had self dimming mirrors in my previous car and absolutely hated them, especially since you couldn't turn the feature off. I like to see what's behind me and I rarely feel blinded by lights.
Yes, you can turn it off. Page 28 in the manual (997.2 version), and I think it's the same mirror in 997.1.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:21 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by chbj
Peoples eyes can react differently - glare bothers me a good deal, and even more now that I have had Lasik.

And it can be turned off in the 911. I can't imagine it weighs that much more if at all than a normal mirror. I'd love to see the option list on some of these cars whose owner's go on about weight - I bet it would sand bag that objection big time. And most of us could probably ease up on the fries and burgers to cut a lot more operational weight off the car.

There's really not much reason to not include this option that I can see - cost cutting - follow the money.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:45 PM
akacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by NorthVan
That means a simple seat swap made my car 80-90 lbs lighter. It would scare me to think how much all the other "little" options would have added.
FYI be removing 90 lb from your car you gained an extra 8.5 hp!

Old 01-05-2011, 04:14 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
I thought folks hardwired radar detectors to that power source and I've not heard of any faults being triggered. Sounds like an answer of convenience by the tech.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:35 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
IMHO, for cars such as Porsche that sit at a certain (lower) height, I see the self-dimming mirrors no less of a safety issue/device than mandatory seat belts.
Again, IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by akacaj
FYI be removing 90 lb from your car you gained an extra 8.5 hp!
That just allows me to carry more beer in the car

Old 01-05-2011, 05:31 PM
chbj is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TooSixy
Yes, you can turn it off. Page 28 in the manual (997.2 version), and I think it's the same mirror in 997.1.

Thanks for the information. I should have mentioned that my previous car wasn't a Porsche.

Last edited by chbj; 01-05-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:09 PM
martyschu is infamous around these parts
to utkinpol

Originally Posted by utkinpol
gosh, justy drop a new wire from breakers box upto the dome area.
just buy the part and either install it yourself or visit any local mechanic.

>would trigger faults in the system with the addition draw on the voltage

I think it is a total BS btw.
I respect your opinion and knowledge (used your hack for DRL).
When you say you think it is BS, what are you referring to?
Do you think I could tap into the power at the map/dome lights and not have an issue?
I currently have a manual dimming mirror in a 997.1 Cab S.
I just ordered an OEM self dimming mirror off a wreck from a disassembler in Australia.
Was figuring on having to run a new line from the fuse box (C5 which is switched available), but if I don't have to do that I would love to avoid running that long line.
Appreciate any help you or anyone else wants to give.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Self Dimming Mirrors