997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Self Dimming Mirrors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:52 PM
jabed92694 is infamous around these parts
Self Dimming Mirrors

Hi all,

So the car I just purchased, a 2007 C4S cab, did not come with the self dimming mirrors as a factory option unfortunately. I don't understand why someone would order such a car without but hey, everyone has their priorities. So I called Porsche service today and found out I cannot get the OEM one installed after the fact. So my question is, is there any good aftermarket options that are self dimming that also has the compass in it? Are they reasonably priced? What is a good option?

Thanks,
Jon

Old 01-04-2011, 10:53 PM
F430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really nice
good question.. I dont even know if I have it on mine!

Old 01-05-2011, 07:30 AM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
This is one of those options that I wish they'd just make standard. I spec'd it on my Cayman S when I ordered it and it was pretty decent since it's also the side mirrors that dim too, not just the interior one. My 911 however does not have this and for $250, I wish it wasn't an option.

As far as I know there are no alternatives to this if the car didn't come with it, unless you have immensely deep pockets and are prepared to have Porsche make a new wiring harness for about $6k - a little much for mirrors IMO! My solution was to tint the windows which actually makes night driving perfectly fine now

Old 01-05-2011, 08:01 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DaveHutchinson
This is one of those options that I wish they'd just make standard.
+1. I don't understand why this is still an option for Porsche. That's like charging extra for cruise control or bluetooth.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:05 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jabed92694
Hi all,

So the car I just purchased, a 2007 C4S cab, did not come with the self dimming mirrors as a factory option unfortunately. I don't understand why someone would order such a car without but hey, everyone has their priorities. So I called Porsche service today and found out I cannot get the OEM one installed after the fact. So my question is, is there any good aftermarket options that are self dimming that also has the compass in it? Are they reasonably priced? What is a good option?

Thanks,
Jon
I bet you can install a stock one but it will need harness and wiring in the roof area for mirror, so you may need to run it up yourself on left side column into there.

Look at auto dismantlers web sites for such a mirror so it would not cost you an arm and leg.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:34 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
+1. I don't understand why this is still an option for Porsche. That's like charging extra for cruise control or bluetooth.
When you start loading these cars up with all the options and calling them a standard feature you will get the other side of the buyers asking why do these cars weigh so much, I want a light weight car and could use a few less standard features (like no sunroof).

These cars don't have the power of the GTR, so why make them weigh the same.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:39 AM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan
When you start loading these cars up with all the options and calling them a standard feature you will get the other side of the buyers asking why do these cars weigh so much, I want a light weight car and could use a few less standard features (like no sunroof).

These cars don't have the power of the GTR, so why make them weigh the same.
I can see your point but as a used buyer it really makes it a minefield doesn't it?

I love the customization combinations possible with Porsche but don't you think that Xenon's and self dimming mirrors should be standard if not just for safety? I had the misfortune of driving a Boxster S the other week back in the UK that didn't have Xenon's, it may as well have been using candles on the twisty roads....

It's a slippery slope though and I see exactly where you're coming from, first it's the mirrors then it's something else, where does it stop? Before long your lovely curvy 911 has put on a few pounds.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:17 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I can see your point but as a used buyer it really makes it a minefield doesn't it?

I love the customization combinations possible with Porsche but don't you think that Xenon's and self dimming mirrors should be standard if not just for safety? I had the misfortune of driving a Boxster S the other week back in the UK that didn't have Xenon's, it may as well have been using candles on the twisty roads....

It's a slippery slope though and I see exactly where you're coming from, first it's the mirrors then it's something else, where does it stop? Before long your lovely curvy 911 has put on a few pounds.
That is exactly it, if you make all these things options, then you get the car you want. A heavy Luxo Toy, or a light weight no frills options. My car came with adaptive sport seats (***) and I removed them for some fixed back track seats, and the weight savings was over 40lbs each. That means a simple seat swap made my car 80-90 lbs lighter. It would scare me to think how much all the other "little" options would have added. The other nice thing about the a la carte options is it makes every ones car unique.

BTW I have the self dimming mirrors, and I am indifferent about them. I don't mind the flicking the old school switch on the mirror when it is needed.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:53 AM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
I think the added weight of dimming mirrors is a non-issue. Totally negligible and insignificant. What is significant is that the 911 travels down low and your eyes are on the same plane as most SUV headlamps.

Needs to be standard equipment.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:55 AM
That is exactly it, if you make all these things options, then you get the car you want. A heavy Luxo Toy, or a light weight no frills options. My car came with adaptive sport seats (***) and I removed them for some fixed back track seats, and the weight savings was over 40lbs each. That means a simple seat swap made my car 80-90 lbs lighter. It would scare me to think how much all the other "little" options would have added. The other nice thing about the a la carte options is it makes every ones car unique.

BTW I have the self dimming mirrors, and I am indifferent about them. I don't mind the flicking the old school switch on the mirror when it is needed.
I don't mind hitting the switch either but the auto dimming mirrors also take care of the exterior wing mirrors which for me cause far more issue than the cabin mirror.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:57 AM
I don't mind hitting the switch either but the auto dimming mirrors also take care of the exterior wing mirrors which for me cause far more issue than the cabin mirror.
yes it does, and they have a little switch on the corner of the door that adjusts the mirrors to solve that problem.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:00 AM
yes it does, and they have a little switch on the corner of the door that adjusts the mirrors to solve that problem.
Ha ha

Old 01-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by EricP
I think the added weight of dimming mirrors is a non-issue. Totally negligible and insignificant. What is significant is that the 911 travels down low and your eyes are on the same plane as most SUV headlamps.

Needs to be standard equipment.
The sum of all the little parts add up to a lot. Next people will want

BT
Auto On Headlights
Better Stereo
more rear leg room
headrest LCD screens
Massaging and air cooled seats

And all this for $30K less then they are now!

Much easier to check the box when ordering your car. If you want it, check the box, if you don't then don't check the box.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:10 AM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
The sum of all the little parts add up to a lot. Next people will want

BT
Auto On Headlights
Better Stereo
more rear leg room
headrest LCD screens
Massaging and air cooled seats

And all this for $30K less then they are now!

Much easier to check the box when ordering your car. If you want it, check the box, if you don't then don't check the box.
Maybe, but I find it funny that the GT2 RS cars have a sticker hood emblem rather than the metal shield plaque that all other 911's have. They do it to save 2 grams of weight.

..what is odd is that the 12 or so GT2's I've seen delivered have leather dash...so a sticker hood emblem but 6lbs of cows hide stretched over the dash. Interesting. I know the hide is an option, but there are other places to shave off 2 grams of weight. Maybe by not dying the headliner

Sometimes "weight saving" measures are simply marketing to build "this car is for racing" frenzy. And sometimes not giving us dimming mirrors is for nickel and diming us. Who knows.

Attached Images   

Last edited by EricP; 01-05-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:39 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Because there are customers who do not want that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Self Dimming Mirrors