997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Fixed spoiler and compartment temp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 03:38 AM
margareti is infamous around these parts
Fixed spoiler and compartment temp

Hello
I'm looking to get a 997 carrera s probably an 06, been seeing some for sale with fixed rear spoilers and some without. If the retractable spoiler deploys when the compartment temp is above a certain limit, what happens if the compartment temp gets too high with the fixed wing? I'm assuming thats bad no?
Tried searching couldn't find anything mentioning the compartment temp with a fixed wing.
Thanks for your help!

Old 01-08-2011, 06:44 AM
johnstoy is infamous around these parts
The spoiler deployment is related to speed (to reduce lift at the rear of the car) and not related to engine compartment temperature. There is a cooling fan that kicks in and draws in cool air through the spoiler (fixed or not) to help control compartment temp when needed.
The spolier deploys at 120 km/h and retracts at 80 km/h.

Have fun with your search!

Old 01-08-2011, 08:15 AM
avmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to all
That's not entirely true. If you read the manual it says that the spoiler will go up if the compartment reaches a certain temp. Though I live in So. Florida and have never seen it happen...

Old 01-08-2011, 09:15 AM
johnstoy is infamous around these parts
I stand corrected.
That has never happened to me up here - even on a "warm" day at the track. (Warm for us is likely winter for you...)

Anyway, the original poster will have fun no matter what type of wing they end up with.

Cheers.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:45 AM
cbzzoom is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by avmike
That's not entirely true. If you read the manual it says that the spoiler will go up if the compartment reaches a certain temp. Though I live in So. Florida and have never seen it happen...
Hmm interesting, news to me. I drove pretty hard in some 110 degree heat and didn't see this. I wonder if this actually happens. Maybe one of our members in Abu Dhabi or Australia can confirm.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:51 AM
margareti is infamous around these parts
Thanks! As avmike mentioned i saw this in the manual (downloaded a pdf already lol)

"Engine compartment temperature under 122°F/55°C
Spoiler extends at 75 mph/120 km/h and retracts at 37 mph/60 km/h.
Engine compartment temperature over 140°F/60°C
Spoiler extends at 50 mph/80 km/h and retracts at 19 mph/30 km/h."

Page 63. But if you guys are saying you've never see it deployed with temp then fixed should be fine.
Thanks again!

Old 01-08-2011, 11:17 AM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
The fixed wings have forward facing air ducts anyway and they're significantly larger on mine than they were with the standard deck lid. My car got louder with the GT3 wing due to their positioning and less shielding.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:43 PM
norton has a spectacular aura aboutnorton has a spectacular aura aboutnorton has a spectacular aura about
spoiler extending and fans cycling on..

I have witnessed my '06 C2S spoiler extend by itself and the fans come on-- like 5 minutes after the car has sat undriven. It was after a 2 hour 75-85 MPH trip in 113 Degree heat here in AZ. The car was sitting in the garage and I had been unpacking from the trip when I heard the fans go on and the spoiler was extended. It does happen-- I would think in the hotter summer environments.