997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

best way to change gears

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Nope....

Clutch in, off gas, change gear, Blip gas (clutch still in) as the needle starts to fall release clutch where it will be in the new gear.

Let's say you're getting off the freeway and you're in 6th but ahead is one of those circular exits that you need to take at 35 mph.

Based on the above graph:

Before you get to the start of the turn, press in the clutch & let off the gas, switch to 2nd (Clutch still in), blip the throttle quickly but hard enough to bring the revs up to about 5k, as the needle falls you let the clutch out when you get to 3500 and the shift is seamless. When you get it right the car will feel smooth
as butter.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:07 PM
solrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to all
looks like a lot of practice, since my Daily is an auto truck.. lol..
so on the opposite would be, release the clutch and blip gas,so I can try to match the revs that way when the needle starts to fall can catch up and not have that ugly felling of the car ..

Old 01-09-2011, 02:29 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by solrac6262
...needle drops to 2k and jumps back hard to catch the rpms...
I don't get that.

If the RPMs fall below the ideal RPMs of the gear you are going into at a given speed, then yes the clutch engaging along with the vehicle momentum will pull-up the engine speed and also feel like a mild braking effect - or a jerk if you release the clutch too quickly.

However, look at that chart above and really think about it: each successive higher gear does require less RPM for the same vehicle speed than the previous gear.

I don't know that focusing on the tach is so useful - focus on being smooth. Keep the radio off and listen to the car and feel the car. The RPMs you shift at will be different depending on what you are doing and will be lower certainly for more moderate driving. Your RPM shift point will also vary depending on the gear you are in. In short, there's no one way to drive the car, but many variations depending on the situation.

I'm also not convinced that fast shifting should be the goal until smooth shifting is mastered.

Probably best to ride along with an experienced driver and get some tips - seems like there are some decent youtube videos as well on the subject.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:07 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
ok just correct me on here please, to rev match, going on 2nd to 3rd 3k rpms you press your clutch and release gas, needle drops to 2k and jumps back hard to catch the rpms.. you are saying not put gas when clutch release
There's no rev matching on up-shifting. The engine and the shift match automatically. It sounds like you take to long to shift and the engine RPMS drop too much. Any minor rev difference on up-shifting is not a major issue, at least if performance is not the goal here.

Now, down-shifting and rev matching... that is a whole different ball game...

To Hella: the gas application you are talking about while releasing the clutch is a known method and may be necessary depending on the specific clutch/flywheel. Many modern cars though do not need or want that. I just bought a brand new Golf and it simply wants to release the clutch without any gas and only apply gas afterwards...

Old 01-09-2011, 03:14 PM
solrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by adias
There's no rev matching on up-shifting. The engine and the shift match automatically. It sounds like you take to long to shift and the engine RPMS drop too much. Any minor rev difference on up-shifting is not a major issue, at least if performance is not the goal here.

Now, down-shifting and rev matching... that is a whole different ball game...

To Hella: the gas application you are talking about while releasing the clutch is a known method and may be necessary depending on the specific clutch/flywheel. Many modern cars though do not need or want that. I just bought a brand new Golf and it simply wants to release the clutch without any gas and only apply gas afterwards...

I was doing that on my Cayman and I don't remember having the same issue when the revs go down and then jumping back .. but I think I am driving ok might not be an expert, on the down shifting I have not noticed anything irregular

Old 01-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Hella-Buggin I think you had a similar situation last year right? I noticed on an older thread you open..

Old 01-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Porsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the rough
I read this whole thread and I feel bad (like some people are razzin you). Most important thing is "feel it." If you get too far in your head you will go crazy and get frustrated.....like a bad game of golf. Having a manual and taking the time to learn how to shift is part of the fun...So have fun with it.
One member said take a class...that is a great idea...but if you want something quicker...
Go to youtube and type in...how to drive a manual transmission...try some keywords like upshift or downshift....im not kidding. I did it too once and it actually helped.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Sharkys is infamous around these parts
I'm guilty of this too. This happens when you take too much time between shifts. You can still drive at a very casual pace, but physically move the gear lever a faster so the engine RPM doesn't drop so much before you shift to the higher gear.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:56 PM
mod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura about
here a youtube video for you!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qod4tIAimMQ LOL

Old 01-09-2011, 07:01 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I rev up to 5-7K RPM, and quickly shift. I have a LWFW and the needle drops faster then it would with an OEM FW. Seat time is the best cure for your not so smooth shifting. Also I really think you need to be more aggressive with the RPM's, these cars are built to rev and be driven.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:15 PM
for the last 4 replies, thanks so much guys thats all I need it.. thanks for understanding now I have a good idea that its just need to practice and not brake my head, trying a couple of the tips from you guys I can perform a better shifting ...

thanks again

Old 01-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by adias
Did I say that? I didn't mean to infer that I do that. I try my damnedest to only apply gas after the clutch is out. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Hella-Buggin I think you had a similar situation last year right? I noticed on an older thread you open..
Yes, I was in your position a year ago. I was a little intimidated my the car perhaps. It just takes seat time. I usually drive with the stereo off just to get a sense of things. It's part of the fun for me with this car is trying to master the mechanical aspects. Every time I start the car I treat it like a lesson and I study as much as I can. Lately, I've been waking up early on the weekends so I can go for a quick drive on the backroads and be back by the time the wife and kids wake up. This morning I got up, had a cup of coffee, drove for an hour, got home and had a second cup before anyone knew I was gone.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:04 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Heel and Toe for down shifting...not recomended for the street but this is what you do. To do it correctly you have to do it fast and it takes more brake pedal pressure than you will need for street driving.

Your rev increase when upshifting is because you still have your foot ont eh ags when you push the clutch pedal...simple as that!!

Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Yes, I was in your position a year ago. I was a little intimidated my the car perhaps. It just takes seat time. I usually drive with the stereo off just to get a sense of things. It's part of the fun for me with this car is trying to master the mechanical aspects. Every time I start the car I treat it like a lesson and I study as much as I can. Lately, I've been waking up early on the weekends so I can go for a quick drive on the backroads and be back by the time the wife and kids wake up. This morning I got up, had a cup of coffee, drove for an hour, got home and had a second cup before anyone knew I was gone.

LOL thats funny

mdrums.
I think I do get my gas pedal out when pushing the clutch, but I'll check that

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: best way to change gears