997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Repainted hood and bumper and resale value...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 12:29 PM
jca3 is infamous around these parts
I have some road rash as well. Just out of curiosity, what is the approximate cost of a bumper and hood respray?

Old 01-11-2011, 01:03 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jimny
If you go to a quality shop, isn't it almost impossible to know if a hood or bumper has been repainted? Most dealers use paint thickness checks for variations between assembly line automated factory paint vs hand paint. Since all 911's are hand painted, can they tell the difference?
If you have ever taken a paint meter reading of a 911, you'll find it incredibly thin. The paint is always thicker on an aftermarket job.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:16 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
It probably depends on how you intend to eventually sell the car. If you intend to trade it in at a Porsche dealer, I would ask a couple their view. If you intend to sell it to a private party, it will depend on how **** the buyer is.. I was always told never repaint unless you absolutely must by a few body shop guys. I had some chips, but after my extensive research, I decided to touch up the chips and clear bra the entire front end of the car.

Last edited by michaeldantep; 01-11-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:21 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jca3
I have some road rash as well. Just out of curiosity, what is the approximate cost of a bumper and hood respray?
everyone feel different about how much they work on a car should cost, but the average i would say for both front and rear bumpers is about 1000-1500 just to paint both bumpers.....

Old 01-11-2011, 06:43 PM
WZ911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by michaeldantep
It probably depends on how you intend to eventually sell the car. If you intend to trade it in at a Porsche dealer, I would ask a couple their view. If you intend to sell it to a private party, it will depend on how **** the buyer is.. I was always told never repaint unless you absolutely must by a few body shop guys. I had some chips, but after my extensive research, I decided to touch up the chips and clear bra the entire front end of the car.
I've heard the the same thing about only painting if you absolutely have to. That's one of the reasons I posted here. This metallic silver is hard to touch up I hear... I spoke with a few people about touching it up and they said for the best clear bra application have it resprayed.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:30 PM
solrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to all
agree +1

Old 01-11-2011, 07:46 PM
ClickClickBoom has a spectacular aura aboutClickClickBoom has a spectacular aura about
Resprays are fine in my opinion. I wouldn't put a clear bra on afterwards. For the price of the clear bra, I would just get it shot again if it gets too chipped. I agree with getting the paint to match may be a problem. The problem is not in the color but getting the metallic to lay right.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:44 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I agree with taking before and after pics as well as retaining the paperwork from the repair .
Since scratches do not effect the structural integrity the effect will be minimal .

However --it's not "perfect" .
Beyond the doubts any buyer faces , the potential for a two tone car exists over time . At some point he will have to sell the car and face the same questions as you are facing .. except you actually know the before and after.

Bottom line -- the rest of the car can make up for a lot if it's clean, well maintained, and reliable .
Given two identical cars where the only difference is the paint -- figure 1K -1500 less.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I agree with taking before and after pics as well as retaining the paperwork from the repair .
Since scratches do not effect the structural integrity the effect will be minimal .

However --it's not "perfect" .
Beyond the doubts any buyer faces , the potential for a two tone car exists over time . At some point he will have to sell the car and face the same questions as you are facing .. except you actually know the before and after.

Bottom line -- the rest of the car can make up for a lot if it's clean, well maintained, and reliable .
Given two identical cars where the only difference is the paint -- figure 1K -1500 less.
Ok so let's say the dealer dings me 1K to 1.5K (or private party) for the repaint from the dealers recommended body shop. What are they going to ding me for having a hood full of rock chips that can't really be touched up? I'm guessing about equal if not more... Right?

Old 01-12-2011, 02:00 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WZ911
Ok so let's say the dealer dings me 1K to 1.5K (or private party) for the repaint from the dealers recommended body shop. What are they going to ding me for having a hood full of rock chips that can't really be touched up? I'm guessing about equal if not more... Right?
I feel so. In fact -if you leave the chips it gives the buyer the opportunity to see exactly what needs to be fixed (along with an estimate from a reputable body shop) and this way there's never any doubts . In fact the buyer now would get the chance to ask the body shop any questions to get it repaired the way he finds satisfactory.

Most owners repair a chipped or scratched car because they find it unappealing rather than when they go to sell it.You can always offer to fix it but it simply leave the buyer with choices and full awareness of the car.

Last edited by yrralis1; 01-12-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:17 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ClickClickBoom
Resprays are fine in my opinion. I wouldn't put a clear bra on afterwards. For the price of the clear bra, I would just get it shot again if it gets too chipped. I agree with getting the paint to match may be a problem. The problem is not in the color but getting the metallic to lay right.
I was told the respray will chip much more easily than the factory paint by the body shops I contacted because it isn't "baked" on.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:24 PM
However, if I had enough chips, I may just spray it and clear bra it so it looks great to me. I would worry about the resale when I have to worry about it. I think the idea of taking pictures and documenting everything is excellent and can only help.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Most owners repair a chipped or scratched car because they find it unappealing rather than when they go to sell it.You can always offer to fix it but it simply leave the buyer with choices and full awareness of the car.
True, and that's really why I'm doing it. I'm just always thinking ahead... This won't be my last Porsche and eventually I will sell it, but not any time soon.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:27 PM
However, if I had enough chips, I may just spray it and clear bra it so it looks great to me. I would worry about the resale when I have to worry about it. I think the idea of taking pictures and documenting everything is excellent and can only help.
On it... Going to take some good pictures in the sun today. Thanks for the advice.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:30 PM
jpfaff997 is infamous around these parts
After you get it painted, add some protection. I bought my first Porsche back in August and one of the first things I did was have a protective film added to all of the exposed areas. Looks great, and much less than repainting a bumper or the hood. Here is the company that I used. http://www.speedfilm.net/index.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Repainted hood and bumper and resale value...