997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Need help on deciding on getting a DME

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 01:57 PM
p997fanatic is infamous around these parts
Need help on deciding on getting a DME

Hello,
I am purchasing a one owner 1996 997 carrera S cabriolet. Its just out of warranty. The cab has 15,000 miles on it, purchased and always serviced at a porsche dealer. I spoke to the service manager, he knows the car..a PPI was done and it checks out well except for the battery needs reconditioning (since it wasn't driven much). I verified everything with the owner and the service manager that he was correct and evaluated the service records. The service manager said it would be $230 more to get a DME scan on it, he has no problem providing it. However, considering so much looks good on the car, the former owner never tracked it...do you think I can get away with skipping this?
Thanks,
Mike

Old 01-10-2011, 02:09 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
You can do your own scan with this software

http://www.durametric.com/default.aspx

Old 01-10-2011, 02:13 PM
VUCommodores is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by p997fanatic
Hello,
I am purchasing a one owner 1996 997 carrera S cabriolet. Its just out of warranty. The cab has 15,000 miles on it, purchased and always serviced at a porsche dealer. I spoke to the service manager, he knows the car..a PPI was done and it checks out well except for the battery needs reconditioning (since it wasn't driven much). I verified everything with the owner and the service manager that he was correct and evaluated the service records. The service manager said it would be $230 more to get a DME scan on it, he has no problem providing it. However, considering so much looks good on the car, the former owner never tracked it...do you think I can get away with skipping this?
Thanks,
Mike
That sounds kind of high, a dealer (Leith Porsche in NC) I spoke with the other day said $100.

I think an argument can (and probably will) be made for either option. On one hand it's probably okay and you can get away with skipping it, but on the other hand, you're spending $$$$ already so why not just spend a fraction more for the peace of mind?

And you mean 2006 997 and not 1996 993, right? I'm assuming so since you said it's just out of warranty. A 993 w/ only 15k miles would be sweet though.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
$230 for a DME read out? Sounds like he doesn't want you to see what's in it as I've never had to pay for a DME read out on a dealer car. Usually it's included as part of a PPI FWIW.

You could make an offer contingent upon an acceptable DME read out at no charge IF you're confident their PPI is accurate... but not so sure I would at this point.

Good luck

Old 01-10-2011, 02:23 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
$230 for a DME read out? Sounds like he doesn't want you to see what's in it as I've never had to pay for a DME read out on a dealer car. Usually it's included as part of a PPI FWIW.
I agree completely.

DME is not a scan, it's just plugging in a computer cord and letting the computer print out the memory of significant engine events. I never paid for one and I can't imagine not getting that information as part of a PPI.

If they want to charge, tell 'em to talk to the owner. No DME, no sale in my book. That is especially true of a car driven only 3,000 miles a year. I know the forum includes different points of view on this subject, but I'm an engineer and I feel more comfortable with machinery that is used regularly.

Gary

Old 01-10-2011, 03:03 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
It takes no more than 5 minutes using a Durametric cable. Is this info from the selling dealer? If so, they should provide the info free. Also I would assume the reconditioning the battery is replacing the battery??

Old 01-10-2011, 04:35 PM
p997fanatic is infamous around these parts
Thank you so much!! I actually went back to the service manager and told him what your Porsche tech said and he matched the price. You saved me $130!
Yes...I meant an 06 997.

Originally Posted by VUCommodores
That sounds kind of high, a dealer (Leith Porsche in NC) I spoke with the other day said $100.

I think an argument can (and probably will) be made for either option. On one hand it's probably okay and you can get away with skipping it, but on the other hand, you're spending $$$$ already so why not just spend a fraction more for the peace of mind?

And you mean 2006 997 and not 1996 993, right? I'm assuming so since you said it's just out of warranty. A 993 w/ only 15k miles would be sweet though.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:36 PM
cbzzoom is infamous around these parts
Yeah, that is total BS. If you paid for a PPI you get a DME printout for free, hell they should give it to you even if you didn't pay for a PPI. It literally takes 5 minutes and if they didn't do it as part of the PPI I would ask them why the heck not.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cbzzoom
Yeah, that is total BS. If you paid for a PPI you get a DME printout for free, hell they should give it to you even if you didn't pay for a PPI. It literally takes 5 minutes and if they didn't do it as part of the PPI I would ask them why the heck not.
+1

Mine came with mine as part of the PPI as well as a carfax report and paint scan and I only paid $200.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Sharkys is infamous around these parts
Let me be clear that if this is how the dealer treats a potential new customer, imagine the relationship once captive. If a PPI was done, the DME should be included -end of story. Be prepared for the $700 40K mile service and $250 for break fluid flush scam in the future. Good luck on your search.

Last edited by Sharkys; 01-10-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:35 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by p997fanatic
Hello,
Thanks,
Mike
$230 sounds like a typical price for complete PPI, that is what service manager was talking about most likely, there is no separate charge for DME scan, it is apart of PPI. It is OK. Do PPI and get official PPI printout, it has much more than just a DME scan data.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:53 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
When I bought my car the dealers gave me the DME scan when I asked for it. They should NOT charge you anything more if a PPI was already done.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:33 AM
VUCommodores is infamous around these parts
The car at the NC P dealership I was referring to is being sold on consignment, so maybe that is their rationale for charging. In any event I said no thanks as it wasn't the car for me for other reasons, irrespective of what the DME would show. Perhaps the car the OP was looking at was also a consignment.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Sharkys is infamous around these parts
The OP said a PPI was done, which should include the DME. The OP said he spoke to the owner as well, so perhaps the owner didn't have the DME which he/she should have received when the PPI was done.