997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Is a PPI a Waste of Money for 2006 CPO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Dc88 is infamous around these parts
Is a PPI a Waste of Money for 2006 CPO

I am considering buying a Certified Pre Owned from a Porsche dealer in the USA (Premier Dealer, whatever that means). It has very low miles and there will be a 2 yr CPO warranty.

Should I bother doing a PPI or is that considered a waste of money since there is still 2 yrs on the warranty.

Thoughts?

Old 01-12-2011, 09:54 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
A dealership can not sell a car unless they have certified it themselves . That means that it has ton have been inspected . However .. I would request a DME scan as well as the results and date of their inspection .. especially if you plan to relocate the car to Canada .

Old 01-13-2011, 08:08 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
How many times has it come up that people have bought CPO cars and later found out about undisclosed damage? PPI at another shop is ALWAYS worth it.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Sharkys is infamous around these parts
Caveat Emptor (not excluding real estate the last few years ). You are buying a used car. Get PPI report from the dealer and run a third party PPI by a reputable Porsche indy. Yes a DME scan should be included.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:44 AM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
If the car were only a year or two old and you could do a DME scan and verify no previous damage...you'd be somewhat justified in skipping an independent PPI. But a 2006 has been around a while and if the only inspection is coming from the dealer who is selling it.....

Old 01-13-2011, 10:26 AM
sullivas is infamous around these parts
I had my '05 PPI'd by an Indy AFTER I bought the car just for peace of mind. Turned out OK, no overrevs and a good report. $160 well spent imo. Also, it's one more positive report to show prospective buyers if I sell the car.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:46 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
CPO doesn't cover prior accident damage. Best to have an independent inspection that includes not only mechanical but body inspection as well.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Some porsche dealers are limited to what they can inspect during the PPI. A Porsche dealer may be unable to verify paint and body because they don't have a paint and body expert on hand, but other dealers can. I speak from experience when I ran several cars through the PPI process.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:58 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dc88
I am considering buying a Certified Pre Owned from a Porsche dealer in the USA (Premier Dealer, whatever that means). It has very low miles and there will be a 2 yr CPO warranty.

Should I bother doing a PPI or is that considered a waste of money since there is still 2 yrs on the warranty.

Thoughts?
you need to get PPI printout from a dealer specifically to have this DME printout and to state all over-revs your car had prior to you taking posession of her.

CPO is just a status, it will cover you as warranty does, PPI will give you some guarantee that any prior damage will not affect status of your warranty claim.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:21 PM
wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !
in a word no. I bought an 06 CPO car ( on the net) that I should have had an independant PPI done.

lots of stories and misrepresentation I would have passed on it had I known the truth.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:13 PM
cbzzoom is infamous around these parts
IMO it depends on whether you can check out the car in person, and how much you know about checking out these cars.

You should definitely get a DME printout from the dealer *for free*.

You should also get the CPO checklist in writing. There have been a few cases of people buying cars that obviously did not have the CPO inspection done properly.

And you should get a Carfax of course.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:34 PM
jabed92694 is infamous around these parts
A car cannot be CPO'd in the first place if it has been in an accident or had more than 2 body panels repainted. Of course no guarantee they did this inspection but I bought a CPO'd car from my local reputable dealer and didn't worry about it. There is also no guarantee any other dealer will find anything either as I had a PPI done on my last car and the dealer swore there was no repainting and they checked with a paint gage. Took it to my local dealer and they found 2 panels repainted.

Last edited by jabed92694; 01-13-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:24 PM
I wonder how the local Porsche dealership can CPO a car, but when I asked them if they can use a paint meter as part of a PPI, they say they can't because they don't have a body and paint shop

Old 01-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Hawkeye1 is infamous around these parts
Not to hijack this thread, but my question is similar to the OPs point. I'm looking at an 07 C4S with <7K miles which is going to be CPO'd by the dealer. There are no other Porsche dealers within 70 miles or so. Would you all trust a PPI done by the dealer selling the car?

Old 01-17-2011, 10:29 AM
Tripleblack is infamous around these partsTripleblack is infamous around these parts
Although the clutch is a cpo inspection item it is strictly pass/fail. I would want a PPI to know if it has unusual wear since they won't replace it under cpo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is a PPI a Waste of Money for 2006 CPO