997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Be very careful of Mods in PCA Region 8 and track events

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe the OP will chime in with the type of event which prompted his post.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:34 PM
DÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant future
Sorry stepped away for a bit.

To clarify this is a DE - driver's ed event for me - I don't pretend to be Mario Andretti, this event was open to members of PCA hosted by Region 8 at Streets of Willow. I signed up for DRIVERS ED, not time trials or racing or anything else.

I didn't make a mistake regarding my understanding of the rules - this is what the event chair and the self-anointed "tech" guru for the region demanded of me; They also called around to other "authorized" pre-tech sites and "warned" them about my car; even though they themselves never saw it. They went so far as to reject my self tech, and interfered with my "authorized" pretech site ; I received an email from my indy shop telling me "crapola - they aren't gonna let you run if you show up." All this from a chip, CAI and shocks --- and don't forget the stock tires the car came with. If I showed up with a Stock TURBO S with 125 more horsepower and regular bucket seats they would welcome me with open arms (if you read the screwed up Region 8 rule book).

Any other ideas on more welcoming clubs?

Last edited by DÜnkleblau S; 01-15-2011 at 07:31 AM. Reason: grammar etc
Old 01-13-2011, 06:42 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
http://www.porscheownersclub.org/

come out and run with us... you want to sign up for PDS.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:45 PM
DÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by utkinpol
if you speak of club racing - then why is it a problem to have bucket seats and sparco suit? as a matter of fact I get recaro seats fit in my car and intend to use them with standard 3 point belt harness for now as I cannot put in rollbar by same 'kids' reason. it is much cheaper than GT2 seat but also reclines. $1690 in black leather.
http://www.recaro.com/us/product-are...rtster-cs.html

master rule is that both passenger and driver seat MUST have same exact harnesses. you cannot have 6 point for driver and 3 point for passenger.
as of requirements for DE event to get a bucket seat becouse you run on r-comps tires and got modified exhaust - you obviously misunderstood something.

I think you just confused rules and regulations for PCA club racing with regular PCA DE events.

for DEs you also have several venues, SCDA is one of them.
SCCA, NASA is club racing. i would not worry about club racing until you get into black running group with PCA DEs and by that time you will know all the answers yourself.
for fire extinguisher, if they do insist - get this, it mounts on driver seat:
http://www.rennline.com/Fire-Extingu.../products/665/

Well, first off, I speak only of drivers ed, not club racing...
Second, the nifty sparco seat is for FOUR point restraints, NOT 5 which is required by the rule book for my "class" (prepared class)

However, I spoke to my dealer today while getting my original steering wheel put back on the car, and the service advisor told me about this:

http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r1030.php

but it would still requiring drilling the crap out of my interior and putting eyebolts near the center console.

All this to be allowed to drive on the track maybe 2 or 3 times a year?

Old 01-13-2011, 06:48 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
i pm'd you my number... I have a roll bar that is bolt in that i just took out of my car that would be perfect for your car.. and I can get you through all this bs...

if you want my help its there....i've been through all this and im local..

Old 01-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by mobonic
http://www.porscheownersclub.org/

come out and run with us... you want to sign up for PDS.
Just joined.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:32 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Umm, sorry. I'm calling Bull $hit.

This just doesn't sound right for a PCA DE event. I don't think there are any "self-anointed" techs in PCA; they are all part of the regional club system and have come up thru the ranks and do their best to keep it safe for everyone. Also, I think it's standard, afaik, not to permit anyone to do self tech. I've never heard of anyone being denied access to participate in a DE based on modifications. Most drivers in the advanced groups are basically running track-only cars with many more mods than what you are reporting. And as far as requiring nomex suits and racing seats, that's ridiculous. Are you sure you're not talking about club racing or some other form of wheel-to-wheel event?

Can you provide some official response from the region?

What part of the story are we missing here? Best,

Old 01-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Steamboat
Umm, sorry. I'm calling Bull $hit.

This just doesn't sound right for a PCA DE event. I don't think there are any "self-anointed" techs in PCA; they are all part of the regional club system and have come up thru the ranks and do their best to keep it safe for everyone. Also, I think it's standard, afaik, not to permit anyone to do self tech. I've never heard of anyone being denied access to participate in a DE based on modifications. Most drivers in the advanced groups are basically running track-only cars with many more mods than what you are reporting. And as far as requiring nomex suits and racing seats, that's ridiculous. Are you sure you're not talking about club racing or some other form of wheel-to-wheel event?

Can you provide some official response from the region?

What part of the story are we missing here? Best,
Didn't mean confuse anyone. I agree this is total bull****. They rejected my self tech form and interfered with it getting officially signed off by one of the authorized shops. It is absolutely a fact that they did not want me in stock class even though they knew it was for the DE portion NOT tt or anything of the sort. Who would I complain to? It's moot because I cxl reg today to avoid being charged as a no show. I can tell you despite me calling the tech for SD he didn't bother to return calls; instead he literally and underhandedly called my shop and told them to assess points that would require harnesses and fire extinguishers, which changes this from hearsay to personal experience. He is the official tech dude for pca region 8: the self anoited part was my embellishment in keeping my recent experience

Last edited by DÜnkleblau S; 01-15-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Look, I'm sorry for what you are going thru and don't mean to be argumentative but what you are describing isn't anything like the tech/registration process here in the Rocky Mtns. nor any other region I'm aware of.

First of all, there are no classes in Drivers Education. DE is DE and drivers are assigned a run group based upon the chief driving instructor's assessment. You don't get to choose.

Second, tech is performed simply to ensure that the car is safe and that the probability of a fluid leak or some other preventable calamity is diminimus.

Third, take a look at your regional (and national) safety regulations. Because this is a Drivers Education event, I have never heard of requirements for safety equipment beyond a helmet and long sleeved cotton shirts and pants. Anywhere.

Once is a great while, like when there is a national club race on the same day, the DE portion of the event will be limited to "advanced" drivers which basically means they have been signed off to drive solo and there's no change in any safety requirement. This is so that the instructor corps can participate in the races.

Your story is so far out of the ordinary that if it's true as you present it, I would encourage you to contact PCA National as I think it runs contrary to most everything they are trying to accomplish thru the DE venues. I'd be surprised if they wouldn't intercede on your behalf if everything you say can be verified.

Good Luck.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
+1^...everything you have described is a total contradiction to my experience with several different regions of PCA...while I will echo mobonic in that POC is a great bunch particularly if your goal is serious club racing...if all you want to do is DE then venues like Trackmasters and SpeedVentures are what you are looking for...but I have never had a student that signed up for a PCA DE have any of the issues you have described and they all raved about the experience and their instructors...sorry that you had this sort of introduction and I would also encourage you to contact national

Old 01-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
In 22 years of track events with PCA I've yet to be turned away for modifications to my car.

I hope this works out for the OP.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:38 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
this is what the event chair and the self-anointed "tech" guru for the region demanded of me;

It sounds to me like a remote rule applicable to driver's ed along with one dude who liked stroking his own ego . Dunk .. sounds like you were in the wrong place at the wrong time .

I'm not a track driver but I've never heard of any of this out here . Personally I kinda like the idea of track event with identical cars all stock because it leaves the task up to driver skill .

In any case .. this is far too much time , expense, and drama to sound like fun and i hope you find a more accomodating experience in your track driving quest.

Good luck.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:05 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DÜnkleblau S
Well, first off, I speak only of drivers ed, not club racing...
honestly I am amazed. not sure what is going on. did you get on a wrong foot with those folks by any chance?
try to call DE chair and discuss this matter with him personally before escalating further. i am almost sure there is a misunderstanding there. it is pretty ridiculous.

Last edited by utkinpol; 01-14-2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:07 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Steamboat
Look, I'm sorry for what you are going thru and don't mean to be argumentative but what you are describing isn't anything like the tech/registration process here in the Rocky Mtns. nor any other region I'm aware of.

First of all, there are no classes in Drivers Education. DE is DE and drivers are assigned a run group based upon the chief driving instructor's assessment. You don't get to choose.

Second, tech is performed simply to ensure that the car is safe and that the probability of a fluid leak or some other preventable calamity is diminimus.

Third, take a look at your regional (and national) safety regulations. Because this is a Drivers Education event, I have never heard of requirements for safety equipment beyond a helmet and long sleeved cotton shirts and pants. Anywhere.

Once is a great while, like when there is a national club race on the same day, the DE portion of the event will be limited to "advanced" drivers which basically means they have been signed off to drive solo and there's no change in any safety requirement. This is so that the instructor corps can participate in the races.

Your story is so far out of the ordinary that if it's true as you present it, I would encourage you to contact PCA National as I think it runs contrary to most everything they are trying to accomplish thru the DE venues. I'd be surprised if they wouldn't intercede on your behalf if everything you say can be verified.

Good Luck.
good god man, +1, +1, +1, +1, +1, +1. did i miss anything??

altho...ok, i'm def no lawyer but the ONLY thing i can think of is sort of like state/fed laws. (i.e. states can pass laws that enhance or strengthen a fed law but not ones that contravene it, or something like that right?) well maybe PCA chapters have the same right vis a vis national?

in any event, OP should def contact national.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:31 AM
Just received an official explanation from the event chair - he insists seventeen ways from sunday that in region 8 THERE ARE classes in DE and that the classification dictates safety equipment. But he will be glad to have this escalate so that National can weigh in if necessary. In any event, I am not allowed next week (I cancelled because they wouldn't have me) and this won't be resolved in time.

Last edited by DÜnkleblau S; 01-14-2011 at 08:32 AM. Reason: grammar

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Be very careful of Mods in PCA Region 8 and track events