997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What would you choose? RED or Black 2006 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 05:17 PM
p997fanatic is infamous around these parts
Ok..the RED car just raised his price by $3,000. Is it still worth it?

Old 01-14-2011, 06:24 PM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
Raised the price by $3k? No way...get black. Is it Basalt Black?

Old 01-14-2011, 06:25 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
How did that happen? Does he have an offer? Always better to deal local and see the car before you make a deal. Red, you have to like it because you need to live with it, not us. Black is the same, either you love to clean it and enjoy the crisp shine or will be miserable with a dirty car all the time. Cars seem pretty fairly priced in today's market, so the guy trying to up his asking is not too surprising.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:43 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by p997fanatic
Ok..the RED car just raised his price by $3,000. Is it still worth it?
I think he means would you still pick red if the price was $3K higher.

How much are the options that you desire (sport crono and nav) that are not on the dealer's car worth to you?

Would you have considered that car if it was originally offered at a price $3K higher, knowing going in that you might be able to talk the seller down at least some of that?

However, if the seller actually did raise his price from the original asking price I think I would have to walk (after giving the seller a piece of my mind), red or not.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:25 PM
p997fanatic is infamous around these parts
Yes, he is firm on getting $52500 for the red car and I already have the deposit down and secured the $48000 black one (so I was willing to lose the deposit).

So the difference is actually $4500 more for the red one. Plus the black one already comes with the nav drive..i just need to install it. So the question really is, is it worth spending $4,500 (plus 9.5% tax) more for Sports Chrono+ and some nicer rims and 6,000 miles?

I talked to an Audi salesperson today and he said no. He said in two years the cars will both be worth the same for one and for two he said black actually sells three times more than red.

By the way, its basalt black.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:10 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute

Old 01-15-2011, 04:27 AM
Razorsedge is a jewel in the roughRazorsedge is a jewel in the roughRazorsedge is a jewel in the roughRazorsedge is a jewel in the rough
The black one will be easier to resell some day. Good luck.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:32 AM
rye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the rough
Red without question! I am biased, but that car sounds perfect, regardless of color.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:38 AM
cay-man-ess23 is infamous around these parts
Both seem like they would be great cars. I'm a sucker for the sports exhaust system but you'd also have to deal with the pain of owning a black car.

Honestly, what is better that Guards Red on a 911? Or any Porsche for that matter?

Old 01-15-2011, 09:32 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Basalt and black are not the same - Basalt can almost have a brown cast to it in some light - too bad they put black interior in it - can look really super with Nat Brown or Sand.

I'm sure it will be equally hard to keep clean as Black - if you aren't a Black car person, then I don't know - I've had 7 or 8 blacks and two reds in my time - red can go way longer without a wash and is more forgiving - there's almost no wrong standard color for a 911.

"Red car was 50-51, but now is 52.5"? How'd that happen and what price was agreed upon when you gave the deposit? Sounds a little F'd, but maybe you know different. I'd stick to the "deposit" price or ask for it back. Either way, neither of you should be negotiating price after a deposit is given or taken.

Sales guy is right - 6k miles in the grand scheme of things won't matter soon.

* I don't know what "nav drive" is.
* SC+ can be added now to a ".1" car, 2005- for about $1K, so rub that out of the comparison, unless you just love the wart (lot to pay for that clock).
* Rims - who cares - you'll probably want something else anyway.

Sounds like the Red is a little over priced - unless you just love it.

If the black interior looks good with the Basalt - I'd go that way.

9.5% tax - I don't get that either - you have to pay sales tax on a used car from a private seller...or just from the dealer?

Last edited by stevepow; 01-15-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:15 AM
Sharkys is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by stevepow

9.5% tax - I don't get that either - you have to pay sales tax on a used car from a private seller...or just from the dealer?

That is California sales tax. The DMV charges tax on the sales price of the car on a private sale as well - no matter how many time the car is sold and resold. Some transactions can be 'gifted' thus the buyer can avoid the sales tax on used car purchase. Some may also negotiate a favorable bill of sale which can help the seller and buyer. I'll stay away from the political and social arguments

Old 01-15-2011, 10:24 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Sharkys
I'll stay away from the political and social arguments

You are a wise man - that rat hole is always too tempting.

At any rate the tax is a wash too - about $450 difference on top of the $4500. I guess you gotta love red or hate washing black.

Last edited by stevepow; 01-15-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:01 AM
Sharkys is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by stevepow
You are a wise man - that rat hole is always too tempting.

At any rate the tax is a wash too - about $450 difference on top of the $4500. I guess you gotta love red or hate washing black.

Thankfully, mine is not a DD. I drive a 20 yr old four cylinder most of the time (soon to be replaced with a 2003 Tii) and it is nice and refreshing to drive the 997 on a Friday or weekend. To the OP, best pre purchase advice I got was this:

DD - do not get black
A few times a week or weekend cruiser - go with black

However, if you have OCD and need the constant attention to detail to make your world in order, then go with black.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:30 AM
sx797 is infamous around these parts
I just bought a black '07 C4 a month ago. Yes, it's a b___ to keep clean, but it really looks elegant when it is. Red is flashy in my opinion, and it a ticket magnet...look at the statistics.

The local P-dealer says black outsells all other colors and is certainly easier to re-sell.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:43 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I would buy the black one. Yes, harder to keep clean, but IMO the best looking.
Obviously, this is a personal choice thing, so don't know why you're asking us. Buy the one you feel most comfortable with color and option-wise. For an 06, they both have pretty low miles. You didn't mention if either had full leather. That would sway me a lot.
Good luck with your purchase, whichever one it is. Both sound like pretty good deals to me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What would you choose? RED or Black 2006 997