997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Radar Detectors..whats your favorite?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 02:18 PM
henrysko is infamous around these partshenrysko is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by zoanom
More than a decade with hardwired V1. Ignore any claims by any other detector. Period.
+1.

So impressed, I bought a second one 7 years ago!

Old 01-15-2011, 03:34 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
There must be 1k threads on this topic... and the answer is V1.

And no, do not hardwire it. Unless, you want your car burglarized when you park it. VR recommends hiding completely the detector and wires when the car is parked unattended.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:50 PM
911 Molar is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by adias
There must be 1k threads on this topic... and the answer is V1.

And no, do not hardwire it. Unless, you want your car burglarized when you park it. VR recommends hiding completely the detector and wires when the car is parked unattended.
Very new to radar detectors here in Australia. V1 certainly sounds the way to go.
INstall ? If not hardware how does it work > Where do you plug it into >?
excuse my lack of knowledge on this one.
molar

Old 01-15-2011, 04:01 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Still like V1 the best...

Old 01-15-2011, 04:25 PM
P997S is infamous around these partsP997S is infamous around these parts
You can still hide the detector when hard wired. Simply unplug

Old 01-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
by far the absolute best radar detector is a car that is going faster than you are...we had a nice sunny, warm day here Friday so I took the GT3 out in the hills to clear the cobwebs and the spark plugs...while returning to town on a divided four lane that is often radar patrolled there was a hot rod next to me that was attempting to goad me into getting on it but knowing the area I abstained...sure enough he took off and it wasn't much farther that I could detect a white helmet sticking out of the bushes...(we were both 10-15 over the limit at this point but he was probalby 100 yards in front of me)...my V-1 went off like a pinball machine as the mc cop lit up the hot rod with instant on laser radar...I slowed very quickly and when he aimed at me all he got was a car going the speed limit...so in the day of instant on Lidar it is best to have a car in front of you so you get an alert before it is you giving the reflection

Old 01-15-2011, 05:12 PM
996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold
Arrow Arrows... indispensable...

...Valentine1... the only way to go.

New Green performance air filter 996:
Green perfomance air filter for 996

New Schnell inhaler kit 996/997:
NIB Schnell Cold Air Inhaler w/caps

Mint “used” (600 mi.) Schnell inhaler kit 996/997:
Schnell Cold Air Inhaler w/caps & instructions

Sweet Callaway Tungsten Titanium clubs set:
Callaway GBB Tungsten/Ti golf clubs set...

Old 01-15-2011, 05:39 PM
radgaser is infamous around these parts
V1 hardwire is DIY easy. See posts on this subject. Directionality of V1 is the best feature. Is radar in front of you or behind? Priceless...

Old 01-15-2011, 06:28 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
I have a Passport 9500ci and I like it. I wanted a completely hidden solution and I find the Passport does a very good job of learning false signals. It also comes with the laser jammers... BUT it is pricey. Unfortunately though, in NJ (were I drive most), the cops seem to mostly use the pace method, so no detector or jammers are helpful.

My question to the Valentine fans is why do you care if the radar is in front of you or behind you? Don't you just immediately slow down once it goes off (no matter the direction of radar)?

Old 01-15-2011, 06:44 PM
radgaser is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by KonaKai

My question to the Valentine fans is why do you care if the radar is in front of you or behind you? Don't you just immediately slow down once it goes off (no matter the direction of radar)?
Forgot to mention it also has side radar. This is also helpful when driving in populated areas. I typically do not slow down if coming from rear...

Old 01-15-2011, 08:15 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
".so in the day of instant on Lidar it is best to have a car in front of you so you get an alert before it is you giving the reflection"

What??? Ridiculous statement! How big is the beam at 1,000 ft buddy?

Back to the question however: V1 hardwired.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
not a rediculous statement at all...practical real world experience is that I received an alert when he hit the car several hundred feet in front of me...in fact I believe that all the arrows on the V-1 went off with the audio alarm (could have been from reflections since I was pretty close to the cop as well)...it is possible that it was just instant on radar and not laser or perhaps he hit the button before he was aimed at the car in front of me if the light beam is that narrow...all I know is I got a big hit and had time to slow down

Old 01-15-2011, 08:59 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
In Canada you need an undetectable radar.. Belarc STI..

Old 01-15-2011, 09:26 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, the light beam is that narrow, in fact approximatey 3 feet in diameter at 1,000 ft range. If you are getting at lidar alert and the LEO is targeting someone up ahead of you consider yourself extremely lucky. I certainly would not expect such luck again, not to mention off axis or rear shots are another effective tactic.
the only real defense is
1 don't speed
2 see and avoid
3 a good laser jammer

Period.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:45 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
The V1 arrows, with it's 360 deg view, are key to learn what VR calls situational awareness. The V1 is a precise/sensitive instrument; no one should leave home without it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Radar Detectors..whats your favorite?