997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Disconnecting the battery on a 2006 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 10:08 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
Disconnecting the battery on a 2006 997

Folks,

I just took delivery of a 2006 997 model, and I was given all documentation and spare keys. I have a question, however, about what happens if you disconnect the battery.

On the 996 models, you had to have a code to restore the PCM, a code to restore navigation capabilities and a code to restore the usage of the radio. These codes were provided on separate cards.

On my 997, none of these cards is provided and I was wondering if Porsche got rid of all these extra and useless codes or if I am missing something.

Any help and advices will be very welcome.

Thanks
Yves

Last edited by yvesvidal; 01-18-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:27 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yvesvidal
Folks,

I just took delivery of a 2006 997 model, and I was given all documentation and spare keys. I have a question, however, about what happens if you disconnect the battery.

On the 996 models, you had to have a code to restore the PCM, a code to restore navigation capabilities and a code to restore the usage of the radio. These codes were provided on separate cards.

On my 997, none of these cards is provided and I was wondering if Porsche got rid of all these extra and useless codes or if I am missing something.

Any help and advices will be very welcome.

Thanks
Yves
On the 997 no codes needed. When you reconnect you'll get a PSM error but that clears itself as soon as you start the car and turn the steering wheel a couple of times. Also, you may have to reset the windows - procedure is covered in the owner's manual.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:31 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
Thank you very much. I like that new approach.

Yves

Old 01-18-2011, 10:47 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
i just changed my batt. PSM light cleared in seconds upon driving it and windows didnt need reset. also, i'm sure there's a reasonable explanation for this but clock was spot on as well...how did it keep time while batt disconnected? does it have a back up batt for the cpu or something? (sorry for being dense but like i said, i'm sure it's a simple expl)

Old 01-18-2011, 10:49 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spiffyjiff
i just changed my batt. PSM light cleared in seconds upon driving it and windows didnt need reset. also, i'm sure there's a reasonable explanation for this but clock was spot on as well...how did it keep time while batt disconnected? does it have a back up batt for the cpu or something? (sorry for being dense but like i said, i'm sure it's a simple expl)
On inital start after battery swap, my clock was incorrect but then in about 30 seconds, the time was correct. Believe the dash clock gets info from the Nav system??