997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New to Porsche. Need some advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 07:00 AM
gellie is infamous around these parts
New to Porsche. Need some advice

My 09 Targa 4 should be arriving in the next few days. I am new Porsche as well as Targa. are the some must read links that can make my transition easier? I have already downloaded and read the Owners Manual as well as some relevent post on this forum. BTW im ccominf from a 08 bMW 750li sport. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:33 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
welcome aboard! you're going to love the targa -- the open feeling of the top is incredible and the wind deflector is so good that with the seat heaters on you can drive with the top down even in this cold. couple quick pieces of advice:

1. do a search for "mclube" on this forum. the targa roofs do tend to creak in the cold and mclube is the best solution so far.
2. make sure you put on a good set of winter tires (i like the pirellis from tirerack). it's not safe to drive on the factory summer tires this time of year.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Thanks. can i use my stock 19' turbo wheels with those tires? Or do i need ne wheels as well?

Old 01-20-2011, 07:45 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
yes u can use the stock turbo wheels for either tires. that's what i run with too.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Funny, I didnt notice a wind deflector when I test drove the Targa. Is that a option? Does it deploy automaticaly?

Old 01-20-2011, 10:45 AM
it's about 3 inches tall and automatically pops up on the front edge on the top when you open it

Old 01-20-2011, 11:52 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Welcome aboard. As a former Targa owner, I know you will love the car. Any creaks and groans from the top were usually an easy fix on mine (lubricate the rubber strips along front and back edges). Just keep perusing these forums and you'll learn a lot. But you should find that the car is very dependable and trouble free for many miles. That is what I love about these Porsches. Enjoy, and don't be afraid to drive it!

Old 01-20-2011, 04:08 PM
TomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the rough
Welcome to the fold. The Targa is such a fun car.
Wait until you're out on one of those bright Spring days. All the crap is off the roads. Trees just beyond bud stage..... Mmmmm...spring.....

Here's the link to the roof-squeak cure -
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ggestions.html
If you don't have a squeak, you could leave well enough alone. But preventative maintenance is usually a good idea. So, if the roof track looks at all gummy (or even over-saturated the Porsche lube), I'd clean it out completely. Way better than waiting for something to dry out / gum up. Just read the procedure.

Guys - If anybody is a member on Rennlist or any of the other Porsche forums, please feel free to post the link above or the text. It's all about enjoying the car. And dealers seem to have a hard time with this simple fix. Targas are fairly rare.

Again, welcome to the fold.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:57 PM
Thanks everybody. I'm planning on not installing my front plate bracket( I know it illegal in NJ, but hate the look. I'll see how much of a hassle I'll get). Can I use a interior EZ pass in the targa?

Old 01-20-2011, 07:03 PM
TomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the rough
Lots of options on the plate mount.
Enforcement varies.
Forum "Search" is your friend.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:09 PM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by gellie
Thanks everybody. I'm planning on not installing my front plate bracket( I know it illegal in NJ, but hate the look. I'll see how much of a hassle I'll get). Can I use a interior EZ pass in the targa?

Don't worry about that. It's been 5 years for me and have only gotten one $50 ticket and that was at an inspection stop where every car was pulled over to check.

Tom

Old 01-21-2011, 06:42 AM
0luke1 is infamous around these parts
I'm in Jersey also - two suggestions:

1. Get the tire rack wheels ($299 each) with your snow tires. They look pretty good. I've bent at least one wheel each of the last four winters. New Jersey doesn't fix pot holes. Those Porsche wheels are expensive.

2. Use the Mower Axle kit for your front license plate (just search Larry mower axle Porsche and you'll find it).

I use my windshield EZpass, no problem.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:07 AM
Thanks, which wheels did you buy?. I think im going to try to go without the front plate for a while.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:19 AM
0luke1 is infamous around these parts
Sport Edition Cup 4 - they're the house brand. Look like an updated turbo twist wheel. BTW, they're only $199 each.

You can't feel too badly about bending a $199 wheel. I think one Porsche wheel will buy about 8 of those.

About the front plate - I'm a big believer in not attracting more LEO attention than I have to. Just saying.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by 0luke1
1. Get the tire rack wheels ($299 each) with your snow tires. They look pretty good. I've bent at least one wheel each of the last four winters. New Jersey doesn't fix pot holes. Those Porsche wheels are expensive.
Gellie - If you do decide you want a second set of wheels, please let me know. I have a mint OEM set taken off my Targa that will run you a lot less than Tirerack's price (and OEM quality).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New to Porsche. Need some advice