997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

The ultimate front license plate holder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 09:45 AM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
The ultimate front license plate holder

Has anyone seen this before:

http://www.ninosport.com/Altec-Retra...EU-p/400eu.htm

Well worth the $139 IMO.

Check out the video on the link....

Old 01-25-2011, 09:59 AM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
I have seen it before. On a p-car you would most likely scrape the thing as well as your plate to holy hell on driveways.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:06 AM
MarkusB1 is infamous around these parts
i like it...

i've been agonizing about putting on the front license plate since i got my 911 a few months ago... in SF they ticket you for some outrageous amount for not having the front license on so i've been avoiding SF but this solves that problem... probably go with the manual one tho' for $60

http://www.ninosport.com/Altec-Retra...00U-p/400u.htm

Old 01-25-2011, 11:18 AM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
You're right, it would probably scrape the plate, but who cares! The only time you need to pop it up is after you get pulled over, right?

Also, I wonder if it is feasible to cut a hold in the (3rd) radiator cover -- for those of us that don't have a 3rd radiator.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:24 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Uh, when you scrape, you'll rip the whole thing off and leave it on the driveway...

Old 01-26-2011, 06:42 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
yeah, the 997, especially with the GT3 Front bumpers are too low for this.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:58 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
search this forum for tow hook adapter, it is best way to mount front plates without making holes in a bumper.
my stock c2 bumper is all scraped down below and all plastic what was there was torn - i would not be able to drive gt3 one at all in places i go to regularly.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by utkinpol
search this forum for tow hook adapter, it is best way to mount front plates without making holes in a bumper.
my stock c2 bumper is all scraped down below and all plastic what was there was torn - i would not be able to drive gt3 one at all in places i go to regularly.
+1 to the tow hook adapter. Besides, if you need to have a front mounted plate in your state, when are you going to retrack it without risking a run in with the highway patrol while the plate is hiden ? I don't get the whole concept. Now if we were looking at one of those revolving plate holders like 007 had and the machine guns that would be something.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:04 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
justatoy with his magnets - that's the coolest setup I have seen yet.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:12 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dadio
when are you going to retrack it without risking a run in with the highway patrol while the plate is hidden? I don't get the whole concept.
Me neither. If I HAD to run without a front plate, I'd rather be busted without any front plate at all and rely on my storytelling/his mercy to get off rather than **** off a LEO that takes a look at the retractable and realizes the deception. At that point, who knows how he's going to react and what else he'll write you up for. Personally, despite the appearance, I run with a front plate and save run ins with the law for more worthwhile infractions .

Old 01-26-2011, 05:22 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stevepow
justatoy with his magnets - that's the coolest setup I have seen yet.
Thanks,LOL!

It still IS working too,hasn't come off YET....and yes it has been tested at a HIGH rate of speed.......IN a safe environment of-course!

Stacy

Old 01-26-2011, 06:32 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Originally Posted by KonaKai
Me neither. If I HAD to run without a front plate, I'd rather be busted without any front plate at all and rely on my storytelling/his mercy to get off rather than **** off a LEO that takes a look at the retractable and realizes the deception. At that point, who knows how he's going to react and what else he'll write you up for. Personally, despite the appearance, I run with a front plate and save run ins with the law for more worthwhile infractions .
Deception my eye. I don't want to see it when I'm parked, and if I put my car in a show nobody else want so see it either. As long as you can display the plate, no problem. It's no different than pulling the plate off manually with screws... or a tow hook mount. No deception there. Believe be, there are far greater things that will **** off a LEO, in fact most of 'em are going to understand completely why you don't want that lunchbox-sized flap of tin on the front of your P-car.

Now, radar/laser detectors "**** OFF" LEO's to no end. I have not heard of one exception to this whatsoever, and I know quite a few of these people in various Depts. The all share the same attitude (and I disagree with them)... but I digress. A retractable mount is not illegal, either.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 01-26-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:53 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
fair enough. i assumed from the first few responses about scraping the plate that folks who buy these intend to drive them with the plate retracted, hence my concern. but yeah, if you're installing it just to hide the plate when parked or at a show, it's a non-issue. re the radar/jammers -- it's obviously a tradeoff between using the equipment to avoid LEOs and possibly facing the consequences of possessing them if they're noticed (though neither is illegal in NY, unlike driving without a front plate). i weigh in favor of using a custom detector/jammers but i can see the logic against it.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:59 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
The bottom line is, whether we are talking about front plates or detectors, they both share a common issue: revenue for city and state. That front plate is there for nothing more or nothing less than bouncing a radar/laser signal off of. If they really wanted us to have them for ID purposes, they would be illuminated just like the back one.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:18 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
That's what I'm running. I've gotten multiple compliments. Looks cool.