997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New steering wheel design courtesy of Fedex

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 09:59 AM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
New steering wheel design courtesy of Fedex

So, today I go to collect my new custom wheel from DCT-MS that was delivered yesterday to the office. Upon inspection I see that the packaging is slightly broken, no big deal, it traveled across the country after all, however, upon opening it and seeing the beautiful carbon, I noticed that Fedex had gone to the trouble of making my wheel extra unique for me, turning it into a pretzel.

Take a look at these and see if you can figure out how on earth they did this. For reference, the picture of the metal in the center of the wheel shows the main base completely sheared in half, that's over 8mm thick solid metal!

I should mention that despite the serious damage, DCT-MS have made an absolutely stunning wheel, it feels fantastic and IMO looks incredible.

Last edited by DaveHutchinson; 01-27-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:04 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
What a shame. Claims process can be a nightware too. At first glance I was going to suggest you let the vendor know their packaging should be better but after looking at the damage, not sure OEM packaging would have saved that wheel. Any tire marks on the box? When I get a high value item shipped, I have them hold it at the depot for my pickup and then reject it if there is any visible damage to the box.

Last edited by jhbrennan; 01-27-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:17 AM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
What a shame. Claims process can be a nightware too. At first glance I was going to suggest you let the vendor know their packaging should be better but after looking at the damage, not sure OEM packaging would have saved that wheel. Any tire marks on the box? When I get a high value item shipped, I have them hold it at the depot for my pickup and then reject it if there is any visible damage to the box.
Solid advice on picking up high value packages at the depot.

Sorry to hear about your steering wheel. Btw, ever notice the arrow pointing to the right in the Fedex logo?

Old 01-27-2011, 10:38 AM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
No tracks on the packaging, just looks a bit squashed. At the end of the day, a box is a box, it could have been stored previously, used for something else etc. If it had looked severely battered I'd of refused it but honestly, it just looked like a box that had taken a knock here and there. I can only assume they ran it over with one of the large trucks that move them across country. I see no other way that kind of damage could have been done.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:53 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DaveHutchinson
So, today I go to collect my new custom wheel from DCT-MS that was delivered yesterday to the office. Upon inspection I see that the packaging is slightly broken, no big deal, it traveled across the country after all, however, upon opening it and seeing the beautiful carbon, I noticed that Fedex had gone to the trouble of making my wheel extra unique for me, turning it into a pretzel.

Take a look at these and see if you can figure out how on earth they did this. For reference, the picture of the metal in the center of the wheel shows the main base completely sheared in half, that's over 8mm thick solid metal!

I should mention that despite the serious damage, DCT-MS have made an absolutely stunning wheel, it feels fantastic and IMO looks incredible.

I hate to say that but I think all those 'reworked' wheels are weakened in the area of upper third.
i broke mine just by pulling it too hard toward me. and could not get a penny from nobody who was involved into producing this wheel.

I think they all make those wheels too weak in those spots where they put custom wrapping. i am playing those games no more.

Attached Images   
Old 01-27-2011, 10:59 AM
LeonL is infamous around these parts
Probably they use a used box and not enough tape inside out. Why is the box pack the wheel up side down?

Old 01-27-2011, 11:26 AM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
Inquiring minds want to know.. What's your next step? I know you'll file a claim, but since your 'office' accepted the package, you could be in for a fight.

Speaking of tire tracks.. I flew into El Paso on business many years ago. My flight arrived late at night. When I picked up my hang-up bag in the baggage claim area, I immediately noticed tire tracks across the entire length of the bag (the tread pattern was narrow, so I figure is must have been the baggage cart). I could have lived with the extra 'ironing', however whoever had the bag under mine must have had a large bottle of Listerine in it. I went to a meeting the following morning smelling like I'd just been released from the dentist's office after major oral surgery.. I never did receive a settlement from the airlines.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Bux996tt is infamous around these partsBux996tt is infamous around these parts
Regardless of what box they used, something heavy went over it to produce that much damage.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Well I've contacted the vendor and started a claim with FedEx who are going to pick up the package tomorrow. After that, I don't really know. I'd just like a wheel that I can actually use

Old 01-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
Old 01-28-2011, 01:37 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Definitely looks like FedEx is in competition w/UPS in every way...

Sorry to hear about that.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:55 PM
TomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the rough
STRONGLY suggest that you take as many photos of the packaging, contents, packing slips and shipping documents as possible. If possible get a notarized statement from whoever accepted the package.
Also, very critically, write up a complete description of everything. Get that document signed by the person picking up the package. Make notes on their forms wherever necessary.
I guarantee you will get a run-around. So be fully prepared. Once they take your package back you're at a significant disadvantage.
Good luck.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:56 PM
I took a bunch of pics in addition to the ones in this thread. The package was collected today by FedEx and the vendor is now dealing with the claim.

It isn't really in my hands anyway, at the end of the day my contract is with the vendor, therefore whatever FedEx decide to do has little bearing on me. Hopefully the vendor has another one in stock!

Old 01-28-2011, 11:57 PM
thxbuff2001 is infamous around these parts
I think it is reminder to all that these reworked steering wheel is not thesame as a OEM one.

Unless something super heavy dropped unto it, it should have never break like this. I think the maximum that fedex delivers is 70 lbs per box.

Safety issue is that if you get into an accident and hit the steering wheel, it should not break as it may stab you in the chest.

There was an incident about a foreign made car in the 1990's that the steering wheel totally collapsed and the steering column stabbed the guy in the chest. Not good.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:03 AM
DYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to all
An all leather wheel would be okay in that packaging, but one with CF definitely needs some more protection. Sucks for everyone involved. I really do hope your package was basically destroyed by something heavy, some kind of crazy pressure... like said above, scary for driving if that is not the case and the wheel just isn't very solid.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New steering wheel design courtesy of Fedex