997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

No love from college girls

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 07:34 AM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ntlgnt1
When I purchased my car, I made the salesman throw in two hats in the deal, one for me and one for my wife.

They say 'never trust a man that wears a watch' I always liked watches though and that RM002 looks cool.
Actually quite the opposite....My neighbor worked for Lexus for several years and they are trained to look for money (watches, diamond rings, expensive handbags) Most items are disposable cash items/impulse items and they are trained that they can "talk" you into a car even if you are just looking.

Go in watchless and in shorts and a T-shirt and you'll see the difference

PS....love the "Freak"

Old 02-02-2011, 10:51 AM
robsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond repute
I was GM at a store called Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories back in the 80s- early 90s. We were on Robertson Bl. not too far from Rodeo Drive.
One day a man came in the store wearing a tank top, cut-off jeans and flip flops. None of the "sales people" approached him because of the way he was dressed. I came out from the office and asked him if there was anything I could help him with. He asked how much the small Ferrari bodied go-kart was....I replied $14,900. He then asked how much the Jaguar bodied go-kart was....I replied $12,000. He handed me an AMEX card and said "I'll take both".
He was the owner of Geruda Airlines and bought them for his kids. We delivered them to his house, three houses down from the Playboy mansion.

Moral to the story....Don't judge a book....you know.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:52 AM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by slant83
Actually quite the opposite....My neighbor worked for Lexus for several years and they are trained to look for money (watches, diamond rings, expensive handbags) Most items are disposable cash items/impulse items and they are trained that they can "talk" you into a car even if you are just looking.

I believe the old quote referrences salespeople. That if someone approaches you wearing a nice watch then they must be good at what they do and will take your money and therefore you shouldn't trust them. I'll bet your neighbor at Lexus wore a nicer watch than his customers

Old 02-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by slant83

PS....love the "Freak"
No difference around here, I guess very location is different. I was only a kid then (16) when I walked into a Lexus dealership and was treated like royalty. Even test drove a car w/o supervision. Too bad Lexus doesn't build anything exciting, if they did, I will probably own one. Porsche dealerships are a different story.

Originally Posted by robsled
Moral to the story....Don't judge a book....you know.
Definitely, sales people should be friendly to every body that comes in. Probably easier said then done, they probably see a lot more people that comes in and grab brochures and buy cars.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:32 AM
Yossarian is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tourbillon001
Here is the story.

I had to go to USF to pick up a book for my girlfriend who is in her masters program. I bought the book and decided to grab a coffee and do some people watching. I was wearing a white Porsche hat that my son got me for christmas when a girl drinking coffee next to me askes me if I have a Porsche. I politefully said yes. She than proceeded to tell me everyone she knows that drives a Porsche is an A hole and I should not advertise that I'm a Porsche owner. I asked her what she drove and she said a honda Civic. I than proceed to tell her how disappointed I was because every other person I have ever met that drove a civic was pretty cool but she was destroying their street cred. It really sucks because I've stopped wearing that hat and its made me a bit self conscious but I'll get over it

I never went to college but I would like to think most College girls were smarter than this one
Ha, we live in san francisco. All political views are accepted so long as they lean really left. Forget politics, it is assumed you run otherwise since its a porsche and your in sf. I get crap all the time, mostly from lazy unemployed people.

I would not worry. If your an enthusiast... then be one and don't worry.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:32 AM
Jungwook is infamous around these parts
I love all my Porsche branded hats and clothing and will wear them to work!. They make me self conscious and I like that as well.

I also wear Fourteen branded hats to golf because I love the Fourteen golf brand and I always wear Adidas when I'm not wearing a suit and tie.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:33 AM
Jungwook is infamous around these parts
I love all my Porsche branded hats and clothing and will wear them to work!. They make me self conscious and I like that as well.

I also wear Fourteen branded hats to golf because I love the Fourteen golf brand and I always wear Adidas when I'm not wearing a suit and tie.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:42 PM
997swave is a splendid one to behold997swave is a splendid one to behold997swave is a splendid one to behold997swave is a splendid one to behold997swave is a splendid one to behold997swave is a splendid one to behold
no logo

I am 38. When I wear my hat people think I am trying to show off.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:15 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
I actually almost bought the sunglasses today (my Maui Jim's were stolen), but I ended up back with Maui Jims b/c of quality. I would have bought them had they been metal frames and not plastic. I'm still wearing my hat though at the gym.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:41 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
I just received a comped pair of MJs from a friend. Big Beach style very comfortable. Nice complement to my 2 pairs of Prada and 1 pair of Dolce shades.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:37 AM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
1. At some level, the girl is probably right. The kids at college who are driving around in late model Porsche's are probably showing off and full of themselves. That would skew her experience.

2. Never underestimate the arrogance of youths who feel they understand the world but haven't experienced it yet.
And that is confined to Just the young affluent drivers who drive a PORSCHE???

You've got to be kidding me. There are plenty of those driving $100k+ M-B's and other badges and have their noses raised equally as high, if not higher.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 02-04-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:52 AM
Comet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to all
sorry for the large amount of quotes, just read through it all

Originally Posted by utkinpol
p-car for such people is just a quintessential top of a pyramid - an ultimate sin to be smart and prosperous in life. what is not unusual is for campuses to accept those stereotypes and proclaim them a normality. we see it every day and it becomes standard now - how sinful it is to be succesful. every time i read about that, how school sport team is forced to 'apologize' when they kick #ss of their unlucky competitors - it is just sad, sad, sad.
This
I started my own little business when I was 18 (7 years ago) and all the people my age (in college) would hate on me for carrying expensive phones and drive around in a mini cooper S because the norm was a 1989 Rust-Red Civic.
I had asked a girl out from gym class after schmoozing her for 2 weeks out on a date.. she said sure.. I offered to drive her home since my schmoozing (I love this word now!) made her late for her bus. Walking into the parking lot, there were 3 cars, a Rust-Red Civic, my new Cooper S (first gen, first year) and some Camry. I was wrestling through my bag to find my keys and she had walked up to the Civic, I find my keys and unlock the Mini and I was like "wrong car dear, it's that one" .. her attitude changes and I'll never forget her reply: "wait what? you drive that? but that's a new car! uhm.. you know what, I'm going to walk home.. and uh.. forget the date on friday"
I am still baffled lol

Originally Posted by KonaKai
i'm embarrassed to admit now that when i bought my first pcar, i was probably more of the first then the second. once i took a corner at speed for the first time though, i realized i would always drive a porsche no matter what anyone else thinks.
don't be embarrassed man! you bought it and it led you to this

Originally Posted by michaeldantep
I worked hard and earned the money to buy the car, so I can wear the hat. F... everyone honestly.
hear! hear!

As for Porsches being status symbols that convey success to the rest of the world I'm not really sure if I agree. I find most people have no idea what the difference between a boxster and a 911 is and most grossly under estimate the cost of a new 911. I also find that most people do the exact opposite with my lamborghini.
haha! even I grossly underestimated the cost of my 4S and I've been a porschefile for the longest time... it is all those damned options.. they make them so irrisistable!!! I want all the options! even the incompatible ones!!!

Originally Posted by nine11
My point is that even if you wear beggers clothes, you get judged anyway.
My philosophy is "F'em, who are they to judge me? if they were in my shoes, they'd probably get all the stuff they are blasting". A little snobby, but w/e. People feel the need to put us down because it makes them feel better about themselves.

about this stuff, only in my case most people tell me I should have bought a house. I'm not sure why they assume I would not own a house but it has happened to me on more than one occasion. Maybe i really should shave and dress a bit nicer, on second thought I have worked hard to have the right to look like a bum
hear! hear!
Drinks on me sometime!
To these people I say "when I start paying for stuff out of your bank account, then, and only then do you have a right to tell me how to blow the cash." or "when did I make you my financial adviser? I find I'm doing pretty well financially without your advice."
I cringe when people try to order me around on how to spend my hard earned money...

Old 02-04-2011, 08:59 AM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
I pride myself in looking like a slob and paying cash. Heck the guys at Guitar Center wont even ask if they can help me

Sometimes I try extra hard. Nothing like looking un-employable and then getting in a C4S.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Comet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to all
Originally Posted by EricP
Sometimes I try extra hard. Nothing like looking un-employable and then getting in a C4S.
haha I absolutely love that
glad I'm not the only one..

do you ever do the walk into a store and be looked down upon only to have them notice your key later and then beg for your business?
I thoroughly enjoy that one

Old 02-04-2011, 12:38 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I get that sometimes... (not because they see my key - because my key never leaves my pocket), but because they see the car I pull up in, or get into to leave.

I've shared this story before...

I went to ask to test drive a Porsche 911 and Cayman (shopping for a car). They told me I could ride as a passenger. I come back a year later, drive up in a GT-R, and request the same thing, get tossed the key - and they asked,"Can you bring it back before closing?"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No love from college girls