997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Your Thoughts on a 2005 911 Carrera S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Luciddaydream is infamous around these parts
Your Thoughts on a 2005 911 Carrera S

Hello

Today I test drove a 2005 911 Carrera S. The car is black with 39k miles on it. The price is 44k

I liked the car and I am kind of entertaining the thought of buying it.

The thing is -- it has a large spoiler on the back:

http://imageserver.carsoup.com/UVIDWeb/11837000/11837328-5.jpg

The spoiler isn't really my style. Is it hard to remove? Would I need a bodyshop?

Also, is 44k a lot for this car? It seems to be a good price. Also, is 39k miles a lot?

Lastly, did the bodies change at all in the 997s ? I know they did in 2009 or so with the taillights.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 01-29-2011 at 05:42 PM. Reason: active link
Old 01-29-2011, 06:13 PM
robsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond repute
I am looking at a 2005 S with just under 12000 miles. Asking 48,000. I got a lot of great advice from the guys here. I'm looking at cars with more miles and really considering 2009 cars. The 05 might have potential problems that haven't popped up at 12000 miles.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:16 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
I would not avoid the car due to mileage. Mileage (if the car checks out OK) is proof that the car is good. Garage queens are unproven.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:22 PM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
it's a good looking until that big tail!! it sort of contradicts with the classy look. i think the tail may have also replaced the hood so you will need the OEM to reverse it. there are lots of early 997s for sale. you will definitely find one. be patient.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:38 PM
Luciddaydream is infamous around these parts
Yeah the tail is not my style.

Damn, so I'd really have to replace the entire hood ?

When I looked at it up close it almost seemed like it could be removed. Its not fiberglassed on there.

But the Car salesman said that he thinks i'd need a bodyshop to remove it. But he didn't know much about the car.

The car was also very loud, like an old school porsche. Almost like a rough sound. I love the sound of a porsche, and dont mind the loudness, but is that normal? It didn't soudn abnormal, it just sounded kind of old fashioned and kind of rustic, not super refined..

Is that normal?

Old 01-29-2011, 11:13 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
You would need a new stock decklid.... that wing is not removable.

It may have an aftermarket exhaust that is making it loud...

Jason

Old 01-29-2011, 11:27 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
When I think of the current ask price, the cost of a new decklid, the fact that it's not the way you really want , I ask myself .. what do you like about it ? Is it that it's convenient (not many cars in the region) ?

OK .. so lets say you buy it and change the decklid .. it's still a 6 year old car and NEW it cost that owner about 85K MSRP (prices back in 05 were lower than current).

My advice is to find a car that you don't have to change .. or at worst settle with an option that you can feel more comfoirtable with than the rear wing on that car .

At 44K +decklid you are nearing 06 CPO territory .
Now unless there is something about that car that you love .. why not keep looking ?

Old 01-30-2011, 03:08 PM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
44k for a non CPO with the wing that will cost you to swap is not a great price. I would push for 40K, but that is ONLY if you are willing to spend them money to swap the wing.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Ryanm51981 is infamous around these parts
I paid 45k for my 05 C2s with 25500 on the clock. It was not a CPO. I think you should just be patient and get what you want. The right deal will come along.

Last edited by Ryanm51981; 01-30-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:54 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
I bought my '05 997S two years ago, so the price I paid is not a fair comparison at this point, but it was a non-CPO car with 25k miles.

Now I have 39k miles (just like the one you are looking at) - in my opinion that's about the perfect mileage. It means the car has been driven about 6-7k miles per year - not excessive but enough to keep 'garage queen' issues out of the question. My car has been very, very reliable - no mechanical issues, just routine maintenance.

As for the wing, I've learned since buying my car just how expensive mods are for it. If you have things you want done to the car (i.e. trade out the wing for stock), I'd try to negotiate it into the deal.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:23 PM
IMEP is infamous around these parts
Be patient and keep looking. I initially thought I wanted an '05 C2S and after research and reading many posts I decided an '06 would serve my needs better. I spent just shy of 11 months looking before I found the exactly what I wanted (sport chrono, white exterior, full black leather interior and upgraded wheels). I ended up with a sport shifter and fab speed exhaust as a bonus by taking my time and passing on several lesser cars. I saw several with the aero package and it just wasn't for me even though I know the previous owner spent good money on it. There are many choices out there and if black exterior is your first choice that will make it a little easier. Good luck with the hunt!

Old 01-30-2011, 06:00 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Are you sure the car doesn't come with the stock rear lid ? It had one originally and you just don't throw one away when you put an after market wing on your car. Ask the seller where the original rear lid is and tell 'em you want it back on the car as part of the deal. If that doesn't work I'd look for and '06 at that price. You may have to look outside your area but when you're spending that king of money for a used car you need to make sure it's the one you want. If you've got to have this car, you can find a replacement rear lid on fleebay without to much difficulty for not much money. Selling the big wing in the black color should be easy. Or you could set it up as a swap for one in black in the for sale section of this forum. Either way you should be able to breakeven on the deal. Lot's of options here besides buying a whole new stock wing. As for swapping it out it's strickly a bolt and plug in affair. Not for the mechanically challenged but no need to call a rocket scientist either.

Last edited by Dadio; 01-30-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:03 PM
away is infamous around these parts
IMO, that wing doesn't fit the rest of the car. The aerokit/GT3 wing looks great (I'm biased), but this GT2 style looks out of place. I'd definitely inquire about them swapping it out.