997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

something wrong with our airbags?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Jungwook is infamous around these parts
something wrong with our airbags?

Flew all the way to SF from Seoul Korea to play a round of golf at pebble beach. Picked up a rental infinity g37 at SFO and drove it over a pothole, front passenger tyre punctured, then airbag exploded. I've been in several accidents big and small in 911s including frontals but never once any airbag deployments...

Btw, G37 not very good.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Swiss made is infamous around these parts
I think there was something wrong with the g37 airbag and our p-car airbags are ok!

Old 02-01-2011, 01:25 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Pebble Beach

Did you at least have fun at Pebble?

Old 02-01-2011, 03:20 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
You mean you didn't like the "bolts in a blender" sound from the exhaust

Old 02-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jungwook
Flew all the way to SF from Seoul Korea to play a round of golf at pebble beach. Picked up a rental infinity g37 at SFO and drove it over a pothole, front passenger tyre punctured, then airbag exploded. I've been in several accidents big and small in 911s including frontals but never once any airbag deployments...

Btw, G37 not very good.
Not sure I get your point. The air bag in the rental car was obviously defective. What's that got to do with the air bag in your Porsche and why do you keep having accidents in it ?

Old 02-02-2011, 02:43 AM
eatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant future
Annyoonngg haseyyoo! Sorry had to do this!
Sorry to hear what happened! Are you ok after the airbag went off? The important thing is you didnt get hurt, but a nice complaint is in order I think. Let us know whats coming up next!

Old 02-02-2011, 10:30 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Dadio
What's that got to do with the air bag in your Porsche and why do you keep having accidents in it ?

Old 02-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Just back in Seoul and Pebble beach was an experience of a life time !!!!.
Shot 88, 89 at Spanish, Spyglass hill but blew up at Pebbles... just wasn't interested in the golf - AWEd by the Pebble Beach!.

Anyways, the point about the post was that I've had 4 P cars so far and have been in accidents before but never had an airbag deployed regardless of the nature of the accident. The G37 rental must have been rigged to be super sensitive so they do get deployed in case of any accident! or our air bags must be for show.

So the question is... any of us 6 speeders had their P car air bag deployed before? and how bad was the crash?

Cheers~
P.S. You Southern Californians are the luckiest people in the world!.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Sven has a spectacular aura aboutSven has a spectacular aura about
The drivers airbag deployed in my '07 997S when I hit a car that bounced off the center divider, spun out and was sideways across lanes in front of me. Since I was traveling at freeway speeds, this destroyed the left front fender and left wheel, and the car was totaled. I was fine physically apart from a tiny nick on my hand from the airbag cover. Since it was a glancing blow I'm not sure what would have happened w/o an airbag. I've since replaced the car with the same yr/model.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:49 PM
Jeez~

The incident with the G37 was nuttin like that... Just a seemingly innocent pothole, type puncture, and airbag explosion in front of my face...

My one accident that I think the airbag should have deployed was with my 2000 Boxster. The car in front of mine just drove into the car in front of it (I think driver dozed off or something). The boxster sat too low for me to see anything but the car just in front. I had just enuf time to stop but the car in front which had bounced off the car in front of it bounced back onto my front side. It flattened the whole front side but air bad did not deploy.

I'm glad that you're ok though.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:58 PM
Sven has a spectacular aura aboutSven has a spectacular aura about
Thanks. Might be that the sensors in your Boxster measured the force and figured it was a low speed collision. They're meant to have some tolerance for such things, since modern bumpers are designed to absorb the impact (hence being flattened). Had the airbags deployed, would you have avoided any injury?

Old 02-03-2011, 02:26 AM
Originally Posted by eatbreathdrive
Annyoonngg haseyyoo! Sorry had to do this!
Sorry to hear what happened! Are you ok after the airbag went off? The important thing is you didnt get hurt, but a nice complaint is in order I think. Let us know whats coming up next!
Yeah Thanks!. I wasn't hurt or anything as I didn't even bump into the airbag when it burst... but the gas was really disgusting~

Old 02-03-2011, 02:28 AM
Originally Posted by ///MJFDDS
Did you at least have fun at Pebble?
Pebble was the best golf experience I had in my life!!!!!!!! The course was amazing... I played Spanish bay on Saturday, Spyglass Hill on Sunday and Pebble Beach on Monday... The courses got better and better!.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:13 AM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Jungwook
Pebble was the best golf experience I had in my life!!!!!!!! The course was amazing... I played Spanish bay on Saturday, Spyglass Hill on Sunday and Pebble Beach on Monday... The courses got better and better!.
FYI- just don't confuse Pebble Beach/Monterey with Southern Ca as Monterey is in the Northern half of the state of Ca... Southern California is some 300+ miles south, bruddah.

Glad you had a great time! That is one of my favorite spots in this state, let alone on the US West Coast.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 02-03-2011 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
I rear-ended a car on the interstate around 5mph after an emergency brake... minor cosmetic damage to the car I hit. No airbag deployment.

Frontal crash 2 years later from a car that crossed the center line into my lane.. I maneuvered enough so they only clipped a corner of the headlight and rode down the front fender and door... airbag deployed just fine at 14 years of age in the 1994 VW Golf.

Methinks the Lexus airbag system was not functioning right.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: something wrong with our airbags?