997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Sticking clutch pedal - clutch or flywheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 12:10 PM
akirasan is infamous around these partsakirasan is infamous around these parts
Sticking clutch pedal - clutch or flywheel

Have a 2006 C4S w/37K miles on it. I've had a couple of occasions where, after spirited driving (x-cross, etc), the clutch pedal would stick to the floor. Sometimes it would release by itself, a couple times it took a nudge with my foot. Seeing where others had experienced slave cylinder issues, and as I still have warranty time left, I headed over to the dealer for a checkup. Their response: cylinder is fine and holds pressure, likely need a clutch replacement. The only salve was the statement that if the flywheel was cracked they could do it all under warranty, otherwise its 9 hours of labor plus parts: ~2600 all in.

Based on other casrs I've owned, 37K seems like a short life and the behavior is not what I've experienced but being new to P-cars I'm looking for others' knowledge.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Rxxxdruggist is a jewel in the roughRxxxdruggist is a jewel in the roughRxxxdruggist is a jewel in the rough
Maybe a bad/failed pressure plate.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Yeah ... That's what the 2600 estimate is for. If it's the clutch proper it goes up sharply from there and pressure plates aren't warranty items. If it were the pressure plate I'd expect different behavior - slippage if worn, vibration if warped, etc.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:10 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Costly, but it would be a good opportunity to upgrade to a lighter flywheel and upgraded clutch assembly.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:35 PM
zoomzoommo is infamous around these parts
I was having that exact same problem during DE's, and the dealer finally replaced the slave cylinder under warranty. That solved the problem. I also bleed my slave cylinder when I flush brake fluid. A few years ago, the local tech told me there was a TSB out on bleeding the slave, and he suggested I do this at 20 lbs (I use a Motive bleeder).

My recommendation is to insist on a new slave cylinder under warranty to see if that eliminates the problem.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:40 PM
The slave was my going in bet, particularly as my warranty is expiring in a couple of weeks. Went back to pick the car up, had a chance to talk with the tech while sitting in the service agent's office. Going through the behavior and how things felt to him (no slip, no vibration, no shaky engagement) he decided to go the slave route under warranty and see if that resolves the issue... Part is due in Monday for a mid-day replacement, my money's on this solving it.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:11 AM
wolfnards has a spectacular aura aboutwolfnards has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by akirasan
The slave was my going in bet, particularly as my warranty is expiring in a couple of weeks. Went back to pick the car up, had a chance to talk with the tech while sitting in the service agent's office. Going through the behavior and how things felt to him (no slip, no vibration, no shaky engagement) he decided to go the slave route under warranty and see if that resolves the issue... Part is due in Monday for a mid-day replacement, my money's on this solving it.
good luck keep us posted. had the same issue, slave replaced solved the issue.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
might be a Broken Clutch Helper Spring... https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-resolved.html
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...feel-hard.html

Last edited by Zookie; 02-07-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Dealer replaced the slave so now it's wait and see - challenge with intermittent issues. One odd thing, different subject - for grins I got it thrown up on a Hunter, found the driver at -1.1, passenger at -1.4, rears fine at -2.0. Tweaking toe to 0" wound up losing me .1 on the driver side and NFW could they get any more out of that side. This is on all stock suspension. I thought the stock fronts weren;'t good for more than -0.8 +/-, quite some variance in adjustability there...